Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Looking for a reading buddy for 2019 reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by András (new)

András Bognár | 7 comments Dear fellow readers,

I'm looking to step up my reading game and to start unlocking a greater level of information and fulfillment via the magic of books which is why I'm taking the 52 book challenge in 2019. However, I realize that I am lacking motivation to keep going for a whole year. Therefore, I'd like to have someone join me in 2019 to read a book each week and to discuss them. I am perfectly open to read with anyone who has the time and determination to show up each week (I was thinking about 1 hour, but we can discuss the details). For me the type of the books is not an issue, I am happy to listen to any sort of stories, but to help you decide if you'd be interested in listening to me talking for a year, let me give you a brief introduction about myself and the books I am planning to read.

Introduction

I am 25 years old and I'm working for an international non-profit in the field of finances. However, a few months ago I've realized that my passion lies with the world of data, so I've been planning my pivot. It appears it will still be a long journey before I'd make the change but I'm eagerly learning about this exciting new area.
But why do I think reading is important? Well, my first encounter with the hidden world of books took place in secondary school. I got accepted in 6 year long course where our headmistress was teaching grammar and literature. She was the one who showed me just how much deeper can books let you go if you listen to the words of the author. I was fortunate enough to uncover the riches of Hungarian literature and ever since then reading was no longer a chore but a chance to connect with others. But lately I have neglected that passion of mine and I'd like to take this challenge to get back into the way of living a thousand lives.

To see exactly what books I have in store, please check my Goodreads shelf (although, this might change, it should give you a good indication of what to expect):

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Additional Information:

>If you’re interested you can contract me here on Goodreads or via email to

readingchallenge52@gmail.com

>As I said the type of books are not an issue for me, but if possible, please write a list of topics you might be interested in or if you have a similar Goodreads list that would be the best.
>We don’t have to follow a rigorous 1 book/1 week approach, this is just an ideal target, but I am open to suggestions.

I would like to thank to anyone who read the post even if you are not interested. I am very excited to hear from you!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann | 14 comments All the best!

message 3: by András (new)

András Bognár | 7 comments Maan wrote: "All the best!"

Thank you!

message 4: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Good luck with this Andras! I checked out your list and its a little too technical for me but I hope you enjoy your reading year :-)

message 5: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 301 comments The Autobiography of Malcolm X ... for what prompt?

Not sure if I can since I am not so reliable but... I definitely have a mom who would love to discuss this book. She read it in college and found it fascinating. :DD

Also are they all going to be Non-Fiction??? What are ya gonna choose as your speculative fiction?

message 6: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 476 comments This is an interesting take on the challenge! I checked out your list and these are the ones I'm really interested in:
The Myth of Sisyphus
Thinking, Fast and Slow
The Missionary Position
The Collected Shorter Plays of Samuel Beckett

I would like to be your buddy, but not for the whole year. I could do a few weeks though.

message 7: by András (new)

András Bognár | 7 comments Tracy wrote: "Good luck with this Andras! I checked out your list and its a little too technical for me but I hope you enjoy your reading year :-)"

Thank you for the kind words Tracy!

message 8: by András (new)

András Bognár | 7 comments Celeste wrote: "The Autobiography of Malcolm X ... for what prompt?

Not sure if I can since I am not so reliable but... I definitely have a mom who would love to discuss this book. She read it in college and fou..."

Thanks for the interest Celeste, since I got a couple of messages already, I'm actually thinking of a format, where it wouldn't be mandatory to do each week. Nothings final yet, but I added you as friend, we can talk about specifics in messages.

message 9: by András (new)

András Bognár | 7 comments Ana A wrote: "This is an interesting take on the challenge! I checked out your list and these are the ones I'm really interested in:
The Myth of Sisyphus
Thinking, Fast and Slow
The Missionary Position
The Colle..."

Hey Ana, I added you as well, let's see if we can figure something out :)