Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Paradox Bound
This topic is about Paradox Bound
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Paradox Bound [Jan 8, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Paradox Bound - Peter Clines.
January 8th.

message 3: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 09, 2019 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments 25% in: This is definitely an "idea book"... I like the ideas, even as I've notice the reviews on this book are predominantly 3-stars...

So far, it seems like The Matrix meets Back to the Future (with a hint of National Treasure, the Nicholas Cage movie)...

message 4: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Screw other people's rating!!! This is a fun book. =)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Soo wrote: "Screw other people's rating!!! This is a fun book. =)"

In some ways, this book is like a less weird Kraken, which is the type of book/genre you have to be in the mood for, I think...

message 6: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 09, 2019 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments 50%: The insistence that they're traveling through "History" instead of "Time" seems ridiculous... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments 75%: I don't feel like I've learned much... the whole book has that A Trail Through Time vibe, (view spoiler)...

And now, this saloon town reminds me of Quantum Leap (view spoiler)

The best thing this book has going for it, is how many OTHER shows/books I can reference while discussing it :)

Choko (chokog) | 6736 comments It's so weird! It looks like I have read this book, but I don't remember anything about it...

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Finished: (view spoiler)

I enjoyed it, 4-stars from me...

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Look at me, posting reviews immediately... I'm so proud of myself :)

message 11: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments lol Good job!

Narilka | 2881 comments I'll be starting tomorrow. I look forward to opening those spoilers :)

message 13: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments *bounces* I still remember the story really well. Maybe I'll get the audio for a re-listen.

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Was looking at other Peter Clines books to try, when I have the time...

Narilka | 2881 comments I have it downloaded and ready to go :)

Iain, did you do audio? I was very tempted as I usually love Ray Porter's narration.

Narilka | 2881 comments Through Ch 3 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Narilka wrote: "I have it downloaded and ready to go :)

Iain, did you do audio? I was very tempted as I usually love Ray Porter's narration."

I ALWAYS do audio... or at least 99% of the time anyway... main time I consider non-audio is when it's not an option, or when it's not a GOOD option (Ship of Theseus)

It was good... only narration I've been on the fence about, so far this year, is The Reality Dysfunction

message 18: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Re: the Reality Dysfunction

John Lee did a great job! I think you need to slow it down if you're not getting all the parts. There is a lot going on in the story. It's a lot like Malazan except it's more approachable for readers.

Narilka | 2881 comments Through Ch 11 - Per my ebook this puts me at 26% in and on page 12 LOL I agree on the movie feel of the book up to this point. I wonder if Clines wrote it hoping someone would option the book. (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2881 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "50%: The insistence that they're traveling through "History" instead of "Time" seems ridiculous... [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Through Ch 20 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2881 comments I finished. It was fun but not as good as 14 or The Fold. I could definitely see him doing more with this world in the future.

message 22: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I thought Paradox Bound had a nice balance of weird mashups and steady story progression. I loved 14 and felt mostly unengaged by the Fold. For me, the Fold was a poor follow up to 14. May have been due to me listening to it vs reading. Different atmosphere and less of a mystery.

Narilka | 2881 comments I read them out of order, The Fold first and then 14. I think that worked perfectly and enhanced 14 nicely. Did both on audio. So while I knew some of the surprises, 14 still had plenty for me to discover :)

message 24: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Ahh. That makes sense. If I had read the Fold first, it would have been more fun. Before either of those, I had read & loved Dark Matter. After DM & 14, the Fold was kinda dull. LoL

Emily (emlfem) | 923 comments I also read (listened to) the Fold and 14 out of (publication) order, and I think it worked better for me that way!
I was hoping there would be more connections to his previous work in Paradox, but I still enjoyed it.
Since its been a while, in this book does anything the characters do in history change it? Or if they do something at a certain time point, that it had always been so? Not sure if that question makes sense, but time (history in this case I guess) traveling always makes my head hurt lol

message 26: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 16, 2019 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Emily wrote: "I also read (listened to) the Fold and 14 out of (publication) order, and I think it worked better for me that way!
I was hoping there would be more connections to his previous work in Paradox, but..."

This book is a Causal Loop:

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments If you really want to make your brain hurt, check out this chart explaining the timeline of the movie Primer, one of the more complicated indie time travel movies

Chart: http://i.imgur.com/VACTBSE.jpg
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vD-y...

Basically, what it all boils down to, is that the more people are out time traveling, the more complicated it all gets... Paradox Bound touched on this with the weaving timelines and the special town... and that's what I loved about the River Song storyline in Doctor Who...

Emily (emlfem) | 923 comments Wow that chart was insane. I'll be checking that movie out sometime!

message 29: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 18, 2019 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 16602 comments Emily wrote: "Wow that chart was insane. I'll be checking that movie out sometime!"

Yea... pretty impressive for an indie movie made on a $7000 budget... one of the 2 actors in the movie wrote it, directed it, edited it, scored the music, etc...

And not all those events appear in the movie... they're just implied or explained later, or seen in flashbacks...

One of the things you learn throughout the movie, is that the time-travel is flawed, and the more times you go back in time, the more your body deteriorates... this is made evident through shaky hands that become harder to write with, if I remember correctly... I saw the movie in high school around 2005...