Reading the Detectives discussion

Colour Scheme (Roderick Alleyn, #12)
This topic is about Colour Scheme
Ngaio Marsh Buddy Reads > Colour Scheme

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8607 comments Mod
This is the last of the 12 books in our 2018 Ngaio Marsh/Inspector Alleyn challenge, but we will be going on to read 12 more in 2019!

Often regarded as her most interesting book and set on New Zealand's North Island, Ngaio Marsh herself considered this to be her best-written novel, according to the Goodreads blurb.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread.

I opened this thread up a bit early because I'll be busy tomorrow morning. I'm currently reading this book - about two thirds of the way through and not quite sure what I think yet.

It's certainly an interesting setting, in an area of New Zealand with a lot of mud springs. I'll be interested to hear what our New Zealand members think of this one?

I've finished this now and, while the setting was very interesting, I can't say I enjoyed it very much - my least favourite of the series so far.

I'm slightly wondering what I'm missing, as the Goodreads blurb said it was her own favourite and I think I've seen somewhere else that it's regarded as her best book.

Will pop over to the spoiler thread to say more ...

Tracey | 246 comments I'm about two thirds through. Really enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery, though not sure I'd want to be walking around the thermal pools in the dark with only small flags to guide the way! There are a lot of loose ends to tie up, and I'm not sure that I actually like any of the characters.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery too, Tracey, but totally agree about walking round the thermal pools in the dark!

I would really like to see what this landscape looks like - this would be a great one to see a TV adaptation of. It was adapted in the 1970s for TV in New Zealand starring George Baker, but sadly I don't think this episode is available to see anywhere.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1949 comments I agree with Judy, this has been my least favourite book so far.

Sandy | 2634 comments Mod
I'm in agreement with all above comments.

I've been to both Yellowstone and the thermal area in Iceland so can picture that part of the scenery. Marsh's description of the sound of boiling mud pots and the smell of sulphur brought back memories.

This family reminds me of a less attractive version of the Lampreys. I haven't found the plot compelling. So far I'm just hoping Questing dies soon.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1949 comments Sandy wrote: "I'm in agreement with all above comments.

I've been to both Yellowstone and the thermal area in Iceland so can picture that part of the scenery. Marsh's description of the sound of boiling mud po..."

Yes , I think that the family were so useless added to the fact I didn't like it much

I was curious to see what the mud pools and thermal springs looked like, and found this page with a wonderful video - if you make it full-screen, it is quite impressive, though I had to turn the music off!

https://www.rotorua-travel-secrets.co...

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1949 comments Yes that certainly is impressive!

Sandy | 2634 comments Mod
Too bad the video didn't record the sounds of the mud pools; it is much like a giant pot of oatmeal.

Tara  | 764 comments It certainly didn't strike me as the kind of place I want to visit, medical condition or not. But the scenery was probably majestic. Dikon was my favorite character, despite his slightly priggish personality.