The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Power of the Dog (Power of the Dog #1)
This topic is about The Power of the Dog
Group Read Discussions > December 2018 Group Read : The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill This is the thread to discuss The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. A separate spoiler comment thread has been set up for those who have already read or finished.

Randy is your moderator..

Enjoy!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments I started this one a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. This is the third Winslow book I have read and already I think I like it more than the other two (Savages and The Winter of Frankie Machine) which both got four stars from me. I hope everyone is going to join in!

message 3: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena Just started!

message 4: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena 9% in. Wild beginning. Hello, rock cocaine.

message 5: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena 18% in.
"Somewhere along the line they figured out that their real product isn’t drugs, it’s the two-thousand-mile border they share with the United States, and their ability to move contraband across it."

Pamela Stevens | 3 comments I just started! This is my first by this author and I like the writing style, looking forward to where this goes.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments Lena wrote: "18% in.
"Somewhere along the line they figured out that their real product isn’t drugs, it’s the two-thousand-mile border they share with the United States, and their ability to move contraband acr..."

That was a great line. This book reminds me of so many great films about the drug trade. Soderberg's Traffic of course, Sicario, Blow, Goodfellas....

message 8: by Lena (last edited Dec 03, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - added it

message 9: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena 32%. Ah! Missed vengeance. That hesitation hurt to read.

message 10: by Lena (new) - added it

Lena Just finished Chapter Eight. That was downright Roman in its brutality.

message 11: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments I've been looking forward reading this for a long time so I'm glad to get started with it.

Pamela Stevens | 3 comments Busy weekend and I didn't get to read a whole bunch, but I am enjoying this book. So glad it was on the list for December or I may not have found it.

message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Penhallow | 39 comments I read this earlier in the year so I'm interested in what people think. I thought it was great!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments I should finish Chapter 7/Part 2 tonight...

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 1199 comments It feels very insider realistic.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1423 comments In nearing the end and it's kept me in the edge of my seat. So realistic it's amazing.

message 17: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 980 comments It's as much a treatise on the politics and economics of the war on drugs as it is a thriller. The amount of research that Winslow put into it is amazing.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments Tom wrote: "It's as much a treatise on the politics and economics of the war on drugs as it is a thriller. The amount of research that Winslow put into it is amazing."

I agree completely. This book is fantastic.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 511 comments Those who enjoyed this read, or any other read by Winslow, may enjoy this recent article by Winslow in the current issue of Vanity Fair regarding the trial of Sinaloa cartel boss Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán Loera.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/...