Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
This topic is about To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Archives > [December] To All the Boys I've Loved Before, by Jenny Han - Part 1 (Before Starting)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie | 2364 comments For the book with a warm atmosphere pick for the December book of the month, the group has selected To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

Part 1: Before starting
Part 2: About 50%, through chapter 37
Part 3: After finishing

Questions before starting:
1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
2. Have you watched the Netflix movie adaptation? If not, do you plan to after you read the book?
3. Do you regularly read books that fit the category, a book with a warm atmosphere? What elements do you think give a book a warm atmosphere?

Sabrina | 390 comments 1. I wanted to read this book because I loved the Netflix adaptation so I'm definitely sure I'll like the book. I'm not sure I would've gotten to it this year if it wasn't book of the month, but I probably would have eventually.
2. YES.
3. Not really?? I read a lot of fantasy and those aren't usually very warm. I can think of like... two books from this year off the top of my head that qualify, maybe three if you count Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I especially don't read a lot of romances, but again I loved the movie. The high school romance definitely gives it that warm atmosphere, but also the family dynamics between Lara Jean and her sisters is very heartwarming.

message 3: by Ana A (last edited Dec 02, 2018 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana A (anabana_a) | 494 comments 1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?

My answer is similar to Sabrina's. The movie was really cute and I did consider reading the book because of it, but I generally don't read the book version of movies so soon after watching so I wouldn't be reading this now if it weren't a BOTM.

2. Have you watched the Netflix movie adaptation? If not, do you plan to after you read the book?

Yes.

3. Do you regular[ly] read books that fit the category, a book with a warm atmosphere? What elements do you think give a book a warm atmosphere?

I wouldn't say regularly, but I don't avoid them either. I'd say love for family or friends gives a warm atmosphere.

-
Edit : I got up to chapter 18, but I gave up on it. :( I would still recommend the movie, though.

Marina H | 1314 comments 1. I just saw which book was picked the other day and found out the ebook in Danish was available so I decided I would give it a go. I wanted to read it in English but there are 4 reservations for each copy on Overdrive, so that was not an option.
I might have read it some day even if hadn't been picked.

2. No I haven't seen it on Netflix and didn't know there was a movie adaption. Maybe I'll watch it later this month.

3. I read a lot of chick lit and contemporary and many of those have a warm atmosphere. Often it's the relationship between family or friends that creates the warm atmosphere.

message 5: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Dec 02, 2018 10:47AM) (new) - added it

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
1. What made you want to read this book? Would you have read it if it wasn't the book of the month?
Ahhhh! This was my suggestion for the monthly read, so I'm feeling a little pressure here LOL. I hope everyone enjoys it.( Edit : Sorry Ana ) I had so much trouble deciding what book to read for this prompt,but then I saw a lot of people saying that the Netflix movie was adorable and I watched it and immediately knew this was the book I should read here.

Yes!!!!! It was definitely adorable. I loved it so much :-)

3. Do you regular read books that fit the category, a book with a warm atmosphere? What elements do you think give a book a warm atmosphere?
No, but I probably should. Most of what I read tends to be very heavy, depressing and dark. This category was really difficult for me to fill. When I think of warm atmosphere, I think family/friends/romance/chick lit... nothing that I usually read. Or if I do read about families there seems to be a lot of drama.