What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)
This topic is about Pathfinder
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Science Fiction, Clones paired with Robots all living on same planet. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments My son read a book 10+ years ago about these clones who were each paired with a robot. They were all living on the same planet, but didn't know of each others existence (I told him it sounds similar to Oblivion movie with Tom Cruise, but he swears not the same). He believes they were part of a colonization project, but the leaders were unsure of what trajectory was necessary to get to their new planet, so hence all the clone/robot teams. Each was supposed to take different routes to see which one worked, he thinks? He also thinks it may have been a series, but that part is less certain.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Children's, YA, or adult?
Cover?

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments YA. No memory on cover.

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Jeff ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 47 where fewer eyes will see it.
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments Bump

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 9 comments Is he sure it's that old? Kind of reminds me of a book I read but it was published in 2010-2012

message 7: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments Could it have been Tony DiTerlizzi's The Search for WondLa series?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/7120...

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments Jeff wrote: "Bump"Veronica, he's fuzzy on a lot of the details. What series were you thinking of?

SBC, The Search for Wondla series sounds interesting, but he reports that sadly, it wasn't the one he's looking for either. Thank you.

message 9: by Veronica (last edited Jan 17, 2019 10:27PM) (new)

Veronica | 9 comments Pathfinders. Read it awhile ago so my memory of the details are fuzzy/may be a bit off. The first book came out in 2010, but I think it's the second book (though maybe some of it was explained toward the end of the first) where you learn that the world was divided into separate areas, kept apart with impenetrable walls. This was done by the captain of a spaceship that I think was supposed to be safely moving a large amount of people a long distance, but ended up crashed on this planet (and was not happy about his failure). Don't remember the exact reason, something to do with gathering data or trying to create a specific circumstance so they could get off the planet. The captain ended up joining one of those sections hundreds (thousands?) of years before the main plot timeline which is surprising because they had cuts to scenes of the captain and this high-tech ship, but the present is now basically medievalesque. Think the main character may be from the section the captain joined. When the main character gets through the wall, he is greeted by someone who looks exactly like his deceased (beginning of the first book) father figure. Turns out it was a robot (pretended to die) and there is a version monitoring each of the sections. Fairly sure the ai on the spaceship was running the show via control of the robots...and think there was intelligent mice involved. Oh and the main character has the power to see the trails of the past. Can follow it and able tell aprox age (can pick up on very old paths too). His friend also has a power, either able to move short distances in space or time or both. But when they combine their powers they can follow any path to that time period. Think that was being cultivated, maybe the point of the experiment? because their skills can be used to figure out how to get off the planet.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments You're talking about this Orson Scott Card series?Pathfinder I'll check with him. Thanks!

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 9 comments Yes and it’s the second book, Ruins that gives the explanation about them living in a big experiment

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 6 comments Jeff wrote: "You're talking about this Orson Scott Card series?Pathfinder I'll check with him. Thanks!"
Veronica! You win the gold star for today! My son got the first book and...JACKPOT! He is soooo happy right now. Thank you! Thank you everyone for your input!

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 9 comments Awesome! Glad to help

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pathfinder (other topics)