Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Question about subtitles

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 246 comments I would like to get moreadvice about what kind of subtitles are not considered as subtitles per GR guidelines. I've read the manual regarding the subtitles, which states:
The phrase "A Novel" is not considered a subtitle.
I think this is clear, and I assume it applies also to short story collections, when the phrase is "Stories", right?

The phrase "A Novel Of {Something}" or "A {Something} Novel", where {something} is the book's series, should be considered a series indicator rather than a subtitle, and so it should not be present in the title field except as part of the series (see below for series).
Examples of subtitles:
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
Alice und das Land im Nadelöhr. Die weiteren Abenteuer von Alice im Wunderland
Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War
Not:
Among the Living: A PsyCop Novel

This is the part which I find hard to interpret. I get the "where {something} is the book's series" part, but I'm not sure whether many of the subtitles fall under the "Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War" example or not. Could I get advice on whether e.g. the following subtitles should stay or be removed:

It Happened After Dark: A collection of short stories
Hell's Teeth: A Deep Sea Thriller
The Summer of My Greek Taverna : A Memoir
Dark Tales: 13 New Authors, One Twisted Anthology
Barbed Wire Dreams: A Short Story Collection

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42491 comments Mod
Camilla wrote: "I think this is clear, and I assume it applies also to short story collections, when the phrase is "Stories", right?"

Correct.

It Happened After Dark: A collection of short stories - no
Hell's Teeth: A Deep Sea Thriller - no, move to beginning of description
The Summer of My Greek Taverna : A Memoir - no
Dark Tales: 13 New Authors, One Twisted Anthology - no, also good to move to description
Barbed Wire Dreams: A Short Story Collection - no

message 3: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 246 comments Thank you, rivka! This is very helpful.