Arthur Schopenhauer discussion

Suggested Reading Order > Suggested Reading Order

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJD (new)

MJD | 89 comments Post your suggested reading order list here.

message 2: by MJD (last edited Dec 31, 2018 11:41PM) (new)

MJD | 89 comments Schopenhauer states from time to time that the best way to read all his books would be to read them all at once, since there are so interconnected and self-referential (i.e. he even refences his later works in his earlier works since he re-wrote his earlier works after writing his later works), but having read everything on this group’s list (with the exception of “The World as Will and Idea” Vol. 3, which I’m almost done reading) I have developed a list that I hope will be useful to newcomers and that I will be using for my re-read of everything starting in January 2019. Below is my list with explanations of choices within brackets under each choice.

1) “The Biographies”
[Even though he states from time to time that he is writing not for his own time but for all time, I do think his writings are better understood as products of the time they were written. These short bios seem to me to give a good overview of the context in which his books were written, with the added bonus that they give a decent preview of what you will be reading later.]

2) The Art Of Being Right
[As a lot of his philosophy tends to deal with pointing out where he thinks others are mistaken, this book is helpful to understand how he goes about determining how others are mistaken in their thinking. Also, it serves as a way to get use to his humor, tone, style of writing, and general personality.]

3) “The Art Of Controversy”
[This book builds on ideas from “The Art Of Being Right” and serves as a further way for understanding of his thought process.]

4) “The Art Of Literature”
[This book builds on the ideas of the previous books and also serves as a preliminary book for philosophical ideas that he develops in his larger books.]

5) “Religion: A Dialogue”
[This book serves as one more preliminary book before the larger, more in-depth ones. While also serving as a primer for his philosophical ideas, it additionally serves as a good foundation for understanding his opinions towards religion.]

6) “On The Fourfold Root Of The Principle Of Sufficient Reason”
[Now it is time to jump into the deep end with this one. It is a bit harder to read than the previous books, but it is essential to read to understand “The World as Will and Representation” since he keeps on referencing it.]

7) “The World As Will And Idea: Volume 1”
[Fresh off from reading the previous book, it is time to read his masterpiece. But, I would recommend reading just the first volume and read the next three books listed next as he keeps on referencing them. Reading the next three books after volume one will make volume one make more sense in retrospect and be a good primer for the next two volumes.]

8) “On the Will In Nature”
[He is constantly referencing this book, and it really helps flesh out his concept of the “will.”]

9) “On The Basis Of Morality”
[He refers to this book now and then, and among other things it helps flesh out the concept of the “will” more.]

10) “Essay on the Freedom of the Will”
[He is constantly referencing this book, and he further fleshes out the idea of the “will.”]

11) “The World As Will And Idea: Volume 2 and Volume 3”
[You should be able to continue and finish reading this and get the references from the above books.]

12) “On Human Nature”
[A collection of essays that references above works.]

13) “Studies In Pessimism”
[Another collection of essays that references above works.]

14) “Counsels And Maxims”
[A nice collection of sayings that I think would be more satisfying to read having read all other above to know where he was coming from.]

15) “Wisdom Of Life”
[I think that this is a nice book to finish with.]

message 3: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah Fawcett | 1 comments Thank you for this.