Play Book Tag discussion

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time
This topic is about Longitude
Archive: Other Books > [Listopia] Longitude: the true story of a lone genius who solved the greatest scientific problem of his time – Dava Sobel - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1118 comments John Harrison, self-educated clock maker, worked to make precise timepieces, a wooden tower one remains working today. When he heard of the 20,000 pound prize being offered to create a verifiable and practical method for determining longitude, he thought he could adapt a clock method and began work. Most other viable methods being researched were based on astronomy. The body evaluating the research was dominated by these astronomers and Harrison's discoveries were often sabotaged. His lifetime was spent improving, justifying, testing and arguing for his methodology while the Board changed the rules, demanded his prototypes and methodology, and sabotaged his testing. It took King George III to get him recognized. This was a great little book about the history of the chronometer.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments One of my favourite books ever! Did you have the illustrated version or just the text? The illustrated is truly special. I went to see the Harrison clocks when I was in Greenwich a few years ago. #4 actually made me cry, it is so beautiful. God, I’m such a geek, lol

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have not heard of this book. Sounds really interesting. KateNZ, your response has me wanting to read it even more.:)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1118 comments The book I have had a step back cover that had a portrait of Harrison and the 5 clocks but the clocks were very small. I went to the internet for bigger pictures. Simply amazing and such a trial he went through. Good thing the King was a geek!

This would be a great read for the December tag