Litwit Lounge discussion

Litwit Common Reads > Common Read: The House Without A Christmas Tree

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Personally (and this is just my opinion), I think common reads work better when they're discussed on a single thread. That avoids having to hop back and forth between two of them, and also averts the need to create separate folders with multiple threads for each individual common read. If people want to post comments, or parts of comments, that have spoiler potential, it's actually very simple to hide these with spoiler tags (click on the little green "some html is okay" link above the comments box for directions, if you don't know how); then other readers can't see them unless they deliberately choose to click "view spoiler." That's by far the more common practice, at least in the groups I've been in; though the "spoiler thread" system is used sometimes too. But I'm content to accept whatever arrangement the group wants to use.

I'll be joining in the read, but probably not until well into December. I'm still taking part in the common read of a very thick book in another group; and my lack of spare time this past month played havoc with my reading. :-(

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Thanks, Charly! We'll see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out we can always try the other way.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Charly wrote: "Werner, with a book this short there is less a need for sectioning the responses."

Very true!

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments I'm in! I started on the book today.

message 5: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments As I'd expected, this book proved to be a quick read. Here's my four-star review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... .

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Thanks, Charly! (I liked your review as well.)

Charly wrote: "this is a Christmas story that deserves more light." Well put!

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments The Hallmark channels usually run movies they produce themselves, whereas this one was produced by CBS. CBS re-ran it in the Christmas season most years in the 70s, but after that it tended to be shunted aside in favor of newer films --unjustly, IMO! (I'd like to watch the movie all the way through sometime, and I believe Barb would greatly like it, too.)

message 8: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments I agree that it'd be a great Christmas movie. I thought I had come across it when searching for the book online, but I just now rechecked and I only see a play version. Werner, is that the one to which you're referring?

message 9: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments I just now read your review, Werner, and saw that you included a link the CBS movie -- thank you!

message 10: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments You're welcome, Reggia!

message 11: by Reggia (last edited Dec 23, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments It was a quick and enjoyable read which I finished a couple days ago. This morning I woke up not feeling well, and so sat in the comfy chair and watched the '72 movie (which turns out to be what I originally perceived as a play).

message 12: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Hope you feel better soon, Reggia!

message 13: by Reggia (last edited Dec 23, 2018 01:41PM) (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments By the way, the movie can be watched online for free at www.dailymotion.com The House Without a Christmas Tree

message 14: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments Thanks, Werner... I'm all recovered now. :-)

message 15: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Reggia wrote: "Thanks, Werner... I'm all recovered now. :-)"

That's great to hear, Reggia! (Nobody should be sick at Christmas time. :-) )

message 16: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments Thanks Charly! And the same to you and yours.

message 17: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2252 comments It was just a migraine at the end of a terribly busy week.

I'm still gathering my thoughts about the book. It was indeed a great little read.

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2102 comments I'll look forward to your review. Reggia!