I Listen to Podiobooks discussion

What makes or breaks a Podiobook for you?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments What makes you want to listen to a Podiobook?
Given that they are generally free, one might suppose that our radar would be lower on our expectations.
But I don't think so.
Listening to a Podiobook is an investment of time and mind....if not money.
Out side of all the technical issues..audio and narration quality..and the writing quality itself...
what makes you want to explore further.?
Do you just stick to a certain genre and steer away from others?
Does it have to grab you right away or are you willing to give it time to expand ?
Action packed or character depth?
I find myself generally open to all genres...but if it has fairies, mythical kingdoms or sword & sorcery type fantasy..well, I just can't continue on.
I will never be engaged.
Fantasy ..horror or sci fi...I still have to half way believe in it.

message 2: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I listen to a lot of audiobooks while work and have several items on my checklist.

1. Audio quality - I'm not fussy but if it hurts my ears I'm not listening. Sibilant Ss, popping Ps and suddenly loud music do not make me happy.
2. Voice - This is very personal and hardly something the creator can control but if I like your voice you can read me the phone directory (Yes, Patrick McLean, I mean you) but if your tone and cadence irritate me I'm gone.

Other than that there are just the usual personal quantifiers of a book's quality. I like a wide range of genres and I have no problem with bad language and sex as long as it is well marked - I sometimes listen with my children - and part of the plot, not just added for the shock effect.

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardgtalbot) | 2 comments Well, I'm a podiobook author as well as a listener, but my take is kind of like Esther's. Obviously I need to enjoy the book and since I don't like "most" sci-fi and fantasy, that narrows it down. But I generally find that the author needs to do at least one thing really well and then I'll enjoy it. If the writing itself rocks then that will make up for a bad performance. If the narrator is great, that by itself can make a listen worth it. Or if narration isn't great and the story is so-so, but the character voices are great, even that can do it.

message 4: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments 'New World order" is on my list..
I'll have to get to it more quickly..
It has some great reviews.
I don't like the "comic book" sort of fantasy and sci fi..if it's done with some sort of resemblance to reality that I can relate to..I can run with it..
Cannot get into the super heroes, the sword and sorcerer stuff...or the mythical kingdoms..
Not really enough pure fiction books or thrillers out there.
I do wonder sometimes about how much the performance (narration) can kill a talented writer and how much a good narration dresses up a bad writer..
it is wonderful when there is both..
I think that podiobooks also have to hook you even earlier..and the plot may need to be faster moving than in a typical book...to keep the listener captivated..
I'm not sure that a more internalized, introspective book that may work in the written form...would ever be accepted as well as those with lots of action, violence and dialogue..and lots of cliff hangers.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) A Dancing Bear has a lot of internal dialogue but once I got my mind round the heavy sarcasm and thick Ozzie accent it was one of the best books I've listened to. (Not for the easily offended or faint of heart)

message 6: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments I will definitely check out "A Dancing Bear".
I've been curious about it.
I'm not easily offended.
"Diary of a Madman" did kinda cut me to the quick though.

message 7: by Dean (new)

Dean | 1 comments Audio quality is so important. I may not survive the opening if the sound is in the dumper.