Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > November 2018 Group Read #1 with Guest Authors of the anthology, WELCOME TO THE SHOW

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ken (last edited Oct 22, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

Ken McKinley | 1672 comments Mod
This is the thread for the November 2018 Group Read #1 with the Guest Authors of the anthology, WELCOME TO THE SHOW. We are more than ecstatic to bring you not 1, not 2, but up to 17 different authors to join in with us on this read. We have confirmed Brian Keene, Jonathan Janz, Adam Cesare,Jeff Strand, Patrick Lacey, Glenn Rolfe, Matt Hayward, Somer Canon, Kelli Owen, and Max Booth III, etc

This is indeed the biggest line-up we've ever had for a Group Read. It promises to be a November like no other. Please help me welcome all of these great authors!

message 2: by Bark (new)

Bark (BarkLessWagMore) | 1577 comments Mod
I just bought this at the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Fair! Perfect timing :)

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 31 comments Wow! What a lineup, how exciting!

message 4: by Char (new)

Char | 16440 comments Mod
Ken! You RULE! Well done, sir. Well done!

message 5: by paigeee (new)

paigeee (bratcraft) | 6 comments I love this.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Boone | 10 comments It's on my Kindle now!!!!

message 7: by Bil (new)

Bil Richardson | 10 comments Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside. Come inside.

An appropriate lyric. Can anyone name the song or group without resorting to google. It's from the first album to feature an H. R. Giger cover.

Sorry, that became a bigger tangent that I expected. Sounds like an awesome lineup. I'll have to grab the book. Can't wait to dip my toe in. Thanks!!!

message 8: by BenW (new)

BenW | 10 comments Well, I may be pressed for time with all the other antics to read it, but I'll definitely pick it up.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (Kimberly_3238) | 4845 comments Mod
WOW! Great line-up!!!! :D

message 10: by Ami (new)

Ami | 178 comments Wow, what a fun idea for an anthology! :D I have a lot to read this november, but i'm going to get this on my kindle and hopefully join in on the fun!

message 11: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 421 comments Another battle lost for me...ahh, you guys at HA are giving me sleepless nights with all those great book suggestions!

My inner struggle:
Cons:
- I'm not that much into short stories and just finished a huge volume, which usually requires a long break from them.
- I don't like 'music-themed' stories - put a band/singer/instrument whatever in a book and I will turn my back.
Pros:
- The book is not overly long, so I guess the stories are really short (I don't like anthologies including novellas disguised as short stories). This will enable me to squeeze in at least one story per day.
- Read the list of authors collected here.

Looking forward to it! I'm still a bit hesitant if this will work for me, but I'm ready to be convinced.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 1 comments Aloha,

Awesome! Mahalo to all the authors joining!
🇺🇸🤙

message 13: by Char (new)

Hello and welcome to HA, everyone!

message 14: by Doug (new)

Doug Murano Hi, everyone--I'll be watching this discussion with great interest. Thanks for reading!

message 15: by Glenn (last edited Oct 31, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 237 comments This was an amazing project to be invited to. Thanks to Matt Hayward for that! This is his baby. I hope you guys enjoy the hell out of it. I know I did. And the roster is full of rock stars! So honored.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Officially starting tomorrow! :)

message 17: by Max (new)

Max III (maxboothiii) | 1 comments Oh hello. I wrote a story in this about pegging. I'm looking forward to your questions about the subject.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian Keene | 4 comments Oh hello. I read Max's story about pegging. I'm looking forward to your reactions about the subject.

And your reactions to my story too, of course. ;-)

message 19: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments Hey, folks. Glad to see so many here already. Looking forward to the chat

message 20: by Bark (new)

Bark (BarkLessWagMore) | 1577 comments Mod
lol Max, now I'll have to bump this up on my reading queue.

message 21: by Char (new)

LOL I can see this is going to be a good time. :)

So, this was all Matt Hayward's idea? What can you tell us about how this came about, Matt?

@Max-I'm afraid to ask about the pegging.

message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments Char wrote: "LOL I can see this is going to be a good time. :)

So, this was all Matt Hayward's idea? What can you tell us about how this came about, Matt?

@Max-I'm afraid to ask about the pegging."

Oh, it was all done just to facilitate Max's pegging story. Joking.
About a year ago, I went to a comedy show at a famous music venue here in Dublin. The main room was seated, and the audience rather docile. A few weeks later, Rachel Autumn Deering and I attended John Carpenter in the very same room, but once we stepped through the doors, I hardly recognized the place. I was instantly hit with that 'eureka' moment for the book and then reached out to Crystal Lake.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks | 685 comments Ken - great job wrangling up all these awesome authors to participate! I loved this anthology; kudos to everyone involved!

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments Thanks, Michael. Delighted with the response so far

message 25: by Char (new)

Matt wrote: "Char wrote: "LOL I can see this is going to be a good time. :)

@Max-I'm afraid to ask about the pegging..."

That's very cool! Did you find the authors you reached out to were willing and able, or did you have to do some sweet talking?

message 26: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments Everyone was ready to go, actually. I was initially worried about two authors choosing a similar concept (being that the idea does have its parameters) but no one chose anything alike. It all went smoothly

message 27: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 02, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Hey, everyone! Thank you to everyone for inviting us and for running this group read.

An admission: I haven't read the rest of the book yet. Because I'm a bad person.

But I CAN say that I've read the majority of the authors in the anthology and am positive it's awesome. :-)

message 28: by Ken (new)

You know, Jonathan. You’re more than welcome to read along with us to rectify the matter. 😉😉

message 29: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments I agree with Ken, Mr. Janz.

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Hey, everyone! Thank you to everyone for inviting us and for running this group read.

An admission: I haven't read the rest of the book yet. Because I'm a bad person.

But I CAN say that I've re..."

I'm thinking you should join us in reading, as well.... :D

message 31: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 237 comments I can't wait to see which stories are people's favorites.
For me, it's hard to beat what Jonathan did with his story or what Rachel did in hers. Two totally different pieces, but both are amazing.

message 32: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kelliowen) | 4 comments Hello all! I hope everyone had an awesome Halloween. Now then...

message 33: by Char (new)

Kelli wrote: "Hello all! I hope everyone had an awesome Halloween. Now then..."

Hello, Kelli!

I'm enjoying the hell out of Teeth by Kelli Owen, so far!

message 34: by Char (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Hey, everyone! Thank you to everyone for inviting us and for running this group read.

But I CAN say that I've re..."

I just finished listening to Exorcist Falls by Jonathan Janz and had such a good time with it! It's great to see you here. :)

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Ken wrote: "You know, Jonathan. You’re more than welcome to read along with us to rectify the matter. 😉😉"

Hah! I can't argue with you there. :-)

message 36: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Matt wrote: "I agree with Ken, Mr. Janz."

:-)

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Glenn wrote: "I can't wait to see which stories are people's favorites.
For me, it's hard to beat what Jonathan did with his story or what Rachel did in hers. Two totally different pieces, but both are amazing."

Thank you so much, Glenn! :-)

message 38: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Kimberly wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Hey, everyone! Thank you to everyone for inviting us and for running this group read.

But I CAN..."

You all are difficult to refuse!

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (JonathanJanz) | 1211 comments Char wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Hey, everyone! Thank you to everyone for inviting us and for running this group read.

But I CAN..."

Thank you so much, Char! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I really dug your review! :-)

message 40: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments I have a question. I asked this on the launch panel, but for everyone who wasn't there: the only stipulation we had in our outline was not to destroy the Shantyman. But... if you *could* destroy the Shantyman, how would you do it?

message 41: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments That would certainly do it

message 42: by Ken (new)

Just finished the first story, WHAT SORT OF RUBE by Alan M Clark, and absolutely loved it! 5 stars all the way. There's nothing like starting out an anthology with a huge explosion! Now on to Jonathan Janz tale.

Question for Alan, what inspired your story? Can you tell us how it came about?

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelautumndeering) | 4 comments Glenn wrote: "I can't wait to see which stories are people's favorites.
For me, it's hard to beat what Jonathan did with his story or what Rachel did in hers. Two totally different pieces, but both are amazing."

Thank you, Glenn.

message 44: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 237 comments Ken wrote: "Just finished the first story, WHAT SORT OF RUBE by Alan M Clark, and absolutely loved it! 5 stars all the way. There's nothing like starting out an anthology with a huge explosio..."
Ken, I didn't have Alan's contact. maybe Matt could fetch him for us.

message 45: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 237 comments Rachel wrote: "Glenn wrote: "I can't wait to see which stories are people's favorites.
For me, it's hard to beat what Jonathan did with his story or what Rachel did in hers. Two totally different pieces, but bot..."

It's a great piece< Rachel. I'm really looking forward to your next book with Mr. Hayward. Can't wait!

message 46: by Ken (new)

That would be great. C’mon, Matt! Wave that magic wand! 😉

message 47: by Matt (new)

Matt Hayward | 26 comments I’ve sent Alan M Clark a link, so hopefully he’ll join us soon

message 48: by Alan (last edited Nov 03, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Alan Clark (alanmclark) | 24 comments Because of the historical fiction horror I've been writing, Matt asked me to write the origin story for the music venue. I got to choose the name for the venue, and design the curse that left it such a menace. All was subject to Matt's approval. I wanted a perceived betrayal to turn a good-hearted man into one who hated blindly, one with just enough residue of magic in him to do the job. He turned his sorceresss grandmother's gift over in his heart, turned what was blessing into curse. Of course, since Matt had asked me to participate in such a big way, I made the story about a character name Matt. The last name Hedgeweird is another old name meaning much the same as Hayward. a ward of hedgerows and fields of crops.

message 49: by Alan (new)

Alan Clark (alanmclark) | 24 comments Sorry for the weirdness, I was in a hurry.

message 50: by Alan (last edited Nov 04, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Alan Clark (alanmclark) | 24 comments I guess there's a bit more I can say--Matt needed a music venue that was in a city with a strange and varied musical history, a big port city where a lot of wickedness could wander in from across the world. I spent teen and early twenties in San Francisco as a young hippy in art school. The Tenderloin in SF has a dark and gritty history. It had a venue much like the early Shantyman. It was called the Great American Music Hall. I consulted with Matt on basing the Shantyman on that since the place was already clearly possible and successful.

« previous 1 3