Change the World: The Choice discussion

The Pro's and Con's of a World Without Money

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lewis (new)

Lewis (lewclark) | 32 comments Mod
Currency is the root of envy, greed, aggression,and inequality; we'd probably be much better without it, what's your view on the topic?

message 2: by David (new)

David (primemover) Wow, thats pretty deep Jocelyn. I agree completely, though I doubt I could have put it that elegantly. I think humans are motivated by greed and self preservation, if we didn't have currency, then we would have the barter system, or rationing coupons, or something similar. Then people would stil steal, and their would be forgery and stealing with the coupon system. And stealing with the barter one as well.

message 3: by David (new)

David (primemover) Wow, I really appreciate that. Thank you, you've made my week!

message 4: by Lewis (new)

This chat room is not for idle flirting and if you're not going to make analytical comments that have value don't post them here

message 5: by Lewis (new)

I am not saying that there wont be problems i am just saying that there would be plenty less.
Possession. People say that is what causes greed. But money puts value to possession, without value anything possession stands for is obviously inherent to that person and not to others. If money didn't exist there would be no disparity of wealth and the world would be a more egalitarian place. I realise that to imagine a world without it is like saying to people that up is down r black is white, they simply don't want to hear it. But seriously there is value in what i am saying, all wars are based upon monetary unions (e.g. the north american monetary alliance, look it up if you don't know what i'm talking about) the countries are run by bankers. It means we don't have a vote in democracy because governments (put simply here) do what businesses tell them to, it's all about balloting and banking. Were in a global recession now (whatever that is, because there's enough money to go around, its all an illusion). Im not saying there wouldnt be issues, i understand that to impose this into an everyday world would be nearly impossible. FOr one thing people want to become richer than their fellow man. Most people dont care about inequaliy; would most likley keep 70 million pouds if they won it through the lottery rather than giving it to charity. Inherent greed is there and i dont dissagree but we are conditioned through money. Do you have a bar to test greed against? Have you tried bringing up children in a world without money? If all is there to share equally and everyone has jobs they want (i am not talking communism) then greed disappears, along with crime which is mainly based on money.
lew xx

message 6: by David (new)

David (primemover) I can't help feeling that our family wouldn't do that. We would probaly spend a week in disney world, my Dad would quit his day job and work exclusively on his company, and thats it.

message 7: by Lewis (new)

I wasnt saying that people gave their money to charity, im saying they wouldnt. But we have never tried a world without money. It's nto sustainable and eventually we will have to burn out. This recession is just a sign of the big crash and any time soon the worlds going to get a big surprise
lew xx

message 8: by Graehstone (new)

Graehstone Lewis wrote: "Currency is the root of envy, greed, aggression,and inequality; we'd probably be much better without it, what's your view on the topic? "

Not currency, but rather "Ego", the sense of self ... remove that and what would you have? Would then life be better or perhaps not? That balance, that tightrope walk we do between good and evil, that's up to us on which side we'll fall, should we choose to fall at all.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Allegedly, Star Trek is a universe without currency in the Federation. But it's never explained how it works.

message 10: by David (new)

David (primemover) Federation credits...

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) But no actually money. Nothing is held in banks to give the credits value.

message 12: by David (new)

David (primemover) But, it's a currency. If I'm an ensign, then I get X number of credits, which I can then spend on women and booze. Booze costs a certain amount, and hopefully the women don't have a price tag attached, but you get my point.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) It completely destroys mercantilism, which is the base of our economy. As nothing has to exist to back up the money, it is essentially limitless.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Money

message 15: by Lining (last edited Sep 30, 2009 05:09PM) (new)

Lining (fleshpetal) The currency should be something like the "good" and "bad" things we did. Our morals. 0_0

EDIT: Okay, forget that... It's hard to judge things that simply. ^^;