Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) Ready Player One discussion

Ready Player One

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick When Dr. Robertson assigned the free-reading assignment, I honestly had no idea what I was going to read until we went to the library that one day for a book tasting. I chose to read Ready Player One By Ernest Cline. Genuinely, the reason I picked this book was because there was a movie about it that came out over the summer and I heard it was pretty good. So, I took a chance and read the book, and I am fairly glad I did. I enjoyed this book, not only for its plot, but also for the feel of the environment within it. The book was about a boy, Wade Watts, who is living in 2045 and is addicted to this top-notch, 3D gaming system called OASIS, and basically, he tried to find the prize egg, which was A LOT of money, hidden within the game by the creator of the system, James Halliday. The best part of the book is a big part of the plot so I cannot spoil it; however, the worst part is when Wade lets his emotions get the best of him, causing him to fall in love with a girl he met through the game, and has not even met in real life yet, and leaving his best friend behind. Going into this book, I expected it to be decent, not too good, but I was completely wrong. This book does a tremendous job of displaying an interesting plot, while also being able to connect generations by making the story about a gaming system, but also including a bunch of references to the 1980s in particular. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure, as well as the 80s because references are everywhere in Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One.

Scarlett Nowlin I completely agree. When my mom and sister first read the books couple of years ago, the movie wasn't out yet. They both said it was really good and asked me to read it. I tried but personally the beginning was too slow for me. I thought it wouldn't be that interesting. Plus I was in the middle of a long and really good series at the time. (Land of Stories by Chris Colfer, highly recommend) I ended up going back to the book when heard a movie was being made and I'm glad I did. Although it had a slow start it ended up being one of my all-time favorite stand alone books. It had so many amazing references to 80's pop-culture that even I, someone who was not alive during that time period, understood and enjoyed them. Definitely a great book, especially for those into crazy sci-fi and action.