The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) The Lies of Locke Lamora discussion

Several things I fell 'off' about the plot.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Santiago (last edited Oct 11, 2018 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Santiago Restrepo I have just finished reading this book and have a couple of questions, if these questions are resolved in further books please don't spoil them.

In the fight of Cheryn and Raiza Berangias with Jean, isn't it weird that the sisters were alone when they found Jean? I mean, just days prior they staged coup with his brother and were family of the most important man in Camorr's underground. Shouldn't they have any guards or entourage with them?

In the fight of Cheryn and Raiza Berangias with Jean, isn't it weird that the sisters were alone when they found Jean? I mean, just days prior they staged coup with his brother and were family of the most important man in Camorr's underground.

Why did the Gray King posed as a new capa if it wasn't his intention to stay in the city? It seems like time was an important factor in his plan for the services of the bondsmage were so expensive. Why spend so much time posing as a capa if he could just executed all of his plan at once with the help of the bondsmage?

Throught the book is stated that the services of the bondsmage were obscenely expensive, so much that royalty were not able to afford one, yet the Gentlemen Bastard had enough money in their vault to hire one for about a month. It would seem like an insane amount of money to go unnoticed by everybody in the city.

Alistair Hawthorne I forgot everything about the book already so I'll only touch your last point.

I suppose their vault indeed had insane amount of gold. After long years of pulling off their escapades, their wealth must've been formidable. I see no reason why anyone would notice, money comes and goes. Kings and royalty would be able to hire a mage but not for long, like, say, a year or for an indefinite amount of time, but a month would be reasonable.
There is also a factor of disproportional distribution of wealth. Common folk is poor no matter how rich the gentry is, so if the nobles lose a heap of gold, peasants don't notice (unless they are taxed more, but that's off topic).

Dustin Santiago wrote: "Throught the book is stated that the services of the bondsmage were obscenely expensive, so much that royalty were not able to afford one, yet the Gentlemen Bastard had enough money in their vault to hire one for about a month. It would seem like an insane amount of money to go unnoticed by everybody in the city."

Locke does point out when talking to the Capa that a Bondsmage wasn't needed until the final week and he likely just arrived for the final week, I believe.