Quarter to Three discussion

We should pick a book to read together

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) What do you guys think? With the power of my Kindle, I can read almost anything now! ;p

message 3: by Cory (last edited Aug 20, 2009 10:00AM) (new)

Cory Cooperman (ephraim) | 5 comments I would counter-propose The Magicians.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewpmayer) Having a look at both "All You Need Is Kill" sounds more fun. But I'd love to read a sample of the actual writing first.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) I'm leaning more towards "The Magicians" myself, but I'll leave it up to you guys, I'm open minded!

message 6: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments Well this obviously never happened!

QT3's always been pretty bad with its clubs, though.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) Yes, yes it has.

message 8: by Cory (new)

Cory Cooperman (ephraim) | 5 comments We could all agree to do A Dance with Dragons!

message 9: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments I have a feeling that that one would be a tough one to get people to agree to reading at an equal pace. Athryn will probably finish it off at stoplights on the drive home from the bookstore.

message 10: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments I'd definitely be up for a group read, though not a lot of members of the group seem to be that active any more. I vote for The Manual of Detection!

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) Cory wrote: "We could all agree to do A Dance with Dragons!"

I like this idea

message 12: by Jon_danger (new)

Jon_danger | 3 comments I agree with A dance with Dragons

message 13: by Cory (last edited Jun 12, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Cory Cooperman (ephraim) | 5 comments So, anyone object to ADwD? What's the strategy for a typical group read? We keep each other abreast of our progress through the book, and we only post spoilers/discussion at the pace of the slowest reader? I did check out "The Manual of Detection" and it seems pretty cool, so I'd have no objections to that, either.

message 14: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments My only issue with ADwD is that with a group read I think the idea is for people to read at roughly the same rate so it can be discussed at various points, but I'm pretty sure that most of us have been waiting so damn long for this book we'll all be pouncing on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. If a group read is more about 'everyone read until done, then chat' that's fine. Not like I'm going to be posting in the ADwD on QT3 any time soon. :P

message 15: by Jon_danger (new)

Jon_danger | 3 comments That is a good point, I know that book will be read within a week for me.

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) We could read one of the books that one of our QT3 members have written, like The Falling Machine or Dopefiend: A Father's Journey from Addiction to Redemption.

message 17: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments I'd definitely be up for reading The Falling Machine.

message 18: by Jon_danger (new)

Jon_danger | 3 comments I'm not that in to steampunk, but I would give it a shot.

message 19: by Wendelius (last edited Jun 21, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Wendelius | 1 comments I'd be up for either. However, I checked Amazon UK for The Falling Machine and it is only coming out here on the 1st of July: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falling-Machi...

Could we delay reading it for that long?

As for Dopefiend, that's not out until September.

Wendelius

message 20: by Bahimiron (new)

Bahimiron | 6 comments I'm probably not the only person who is trying to finish up a few books before the tacnuke that is A Dance with Dragons comes out, so I've got no problem with waiting on doing a book club reading until August.

message 21: by Cory (new)

Cory Cooperman (ephraim) | 5 comments I'm in for The Falling Machine, and I'm also OK with August.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul I'd be up for it as well!

message 23: by Euri (new)

Euri | 1 comments I have been meaning to buy The Falling Machine, but it does not exist on the Kindle yet =(

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (athryn) See this thread: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-ta...

I'll start adding the books that get picked to here as well!

message 25: by Tutku (new)

Tutku Kumru | 2 comments what about The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka?

message 26: by Tutku (new)

Tutku Kumru | 2 comments What about The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka