The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Random Word Generator

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments So who else got some absolutely TERRIBLE words from the random generator? Mine are:
--Bearding
--Terminology
--Putting

I didn’t even bother looking up ‘bearding’ and gave up almost immediately on ‘terminology’ because I don’t want to read a textbook.

That leaves ‘putting’ as my best bet. Most of the results were about canning food, golf, how to be an effective middle manager or heavy-handed spiritual self-help books and quite frankly, I’d rather chew off my own arm at the elbow than read a book about any of those things, haha.

So anyway, I’m not exactly asking for help because I finally found a few that look easy enough (although not anything I’d ever want to read otherwise so fast/easy is crucial), but I am curious about whether anybody else feels like complaining about their words too.

Misery loves company after all. :P

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 440 comments I had drafting, bone, and coming! Maybe Cynthia will let us change the word to its original form, so for example you could use put or beard and I could use draft or come. It seems like a lot of the words were verbs with 'ing' at the end of them.

message 3: by Joy Marie (last edited Aug 18, 2009 06:02PM) (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments I will complain with you Beth! I got dictionary, paragraph, and casing....not many choices here unless I will be allowed to use case instead of casing. Not sure if we can use a form or the word we get or if it has to be that exact word.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Mine weren't tooooo bad compared to some of these! ... I had stereotype, faithful and platform (I'm going with platform). My eigth word was fall!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Ken, Grind and Solid. I was really annoyed about ken, thinking it's a name, not a word, and was going to ask if I could read something by an author named Ken, but then I remembered that ken actually is a word, it means knowledge or something. Haven't found any titles with it, though! Not too excited about anything that comes up for grind or solid. I really like the concept of this task, but I might skip it after looking at my words.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I'm struggling a bit with mine- but I'm sure there must be some books out there!
I had
Customary
Packet
Attendance

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Lelsey, that must be why Scot's say ken for knowing!!! Hey you learn something new every day!

I got Giant, Might and Ploy. I quite like those words and think there must be books with giant or might in the title!

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I was scared at my 9th & 10th words... I got Footnote and Transient. Eek! But luckily, I got Proof for my 11th. And I let out a breath of relief when I saw it because I actually KNOW of a book with the word Proof in the title. So, I can't complain really, but I do feel for those of you who got evil words.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Joy wrote: "I will complain with you Beth! I got ditionary, paragraph, and casing....not many choices here unless I will be allowed to use case instead of casing. Not sure if we can use a form or the word we..."

A concise chinese-english dictionary for lovers by Xiaolu Guo (is a fiction book)

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Kim wrote: "I'm struggling a bit with mine- but I'm sure there must be some books out there!
I had
Customary
Packet
Attendance"

With one lousy free packet of seed by Lynne Truss
A Packet of Dreams by John Howard Reid

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Angela wrote: "I had drafting, bone, and coming! Maybe Cynthia will let us change the word to its original form, so for example you could use put or beard and I could use draft or come. It seems like a lot of the..."

The Bone-Setters Daughter by Amy Tan
206 Bones by Kathy Reichs
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell

Coming up for Air by George Orwell
Coming home by Melanie Rose
Coming out by Danielle Steele
Coming through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Leslie wrote: "Ken, Grind and Solid. I was really annoyed about ken, thinking it's a name, not a word, and was going to ask if I could read something by an author named Ken, but then I remembered that ken actuall..."

The Grantchester Grind by Tom Sharpe
An ex to Grind by Jane Heller

The Solid Mandala by Patrick White

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 18, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Joy wrote: "I will complain with you Beth! I got ditionary, paragraph, and casing....not many choices here unless I will be allowed to use case instead of casing. Not sure if we can use a form or the word we..."

For "dictionary", I highly recommend The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchestor.

I read it quite a few years ago and loved it.

I was VERY lucky with my words...shed, pretty and beach.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela | 440 comments Ohhh pretty and beach! So jealous ;)

message 15: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) which word generator are you all using? I got several options when I googled....

message 16: by Liz M (last edited Aug 18, 2009 03:02PM) (new)

Liz M Katie, Cynthia linked to this one in the task list: http://watchout4snakes.com/Creativity...

"This page generates a random, relatively common noun. If you want more control over the type of word generated, try Random Word Generator Plus."

So, the regular random word generator gives difficult results (as seen in the examples mentioned in previous posts). However, if you use the Random Word Generator Plus, you can select type of word to be "noun" and complexity to be "very common". Very common nouns for me were: movie, scrap, and heart (versus finishing, beating, & conservative for the regular random word generator).

Cynthia, Can we use the Random Word Generator Plus for very common nouns?

message 17: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 125 comments Mine were imperial, vote, and possibility. All the searches I've done have turned up books that are either political or self-help. Ick!

message 18: by Greyweather (last edited Aug 18, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

Greyweather Mine are easy: halting, turgidity, sale.

Katie wrote: "which word generator are you all using? I got several options when I googled...."

watchout4snakes just gave me a general network error so I used the one at Coyote Cult.

message 19: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 54 comments I was going to complain about my words but I think I got off fairly easy compared to some of you
Stop, Scratch & Crowd :0)

message 20: by Liz M (new)

Liz M turgidity is easy? Is there a single book with that in the title?

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori  (batchelorxyz) | 229 comments I got costing, rolling and item. I am hoping for a ruling on the variation question.

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments I am having trouble with mine....example, mortality, and lecturer. Ack!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I hope we can use the Plus version. I thought I got easy words compared to everyone in here thus far. I got Observation, Coloring and Optic. While optic came up with books of optical illusions I'm looking for something better. Also I thought maybe there would be some good mystery books with observation in the title but nothing so far.

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Can we trade, I like political books !!!

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Here is my ruling on this task...You should use the one that is listed on the challenge BUT you can do it more than once meaning if you close out the website and bring up the page again and go to the 9th/10th/11th word you come to a second or third or fourth time you can use one of those words and that would be ok.

message 26: by Tanya (new)

Tanya D (mtlbookworm) | 161 comments Fleet
Express
Cassette

My three words... not horrible... I'm sure I could find something with them!

message 27: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 125 comments Thank goodness, Cynthia! Off to get some new words!

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments Thanks for the ideas on mine- I've put one of the books on my swap list and it looks really interesting!
I might have another go just out of curiosity!

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Cynthia wrote: "Here is my ruling on this task...You should use the one that is listed on the challenge BUT you can do it more than once meaning if you close out the website and bring up the page again and go to t..."

OH wow thanks....

message 30: by Beth (last edited Aug 19, 2009 09:54AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Cynthia wrote: "Here is my ruling on this task...You should use the one that is listed on the challenge BUT you can do it more than once meaning if you close out the website and bring up the page again and go to t..."

YAY!!!!

I tried a couple times and eventually got a word that actually matched a couple titles of books I already own: screwing, white and scatter. I'm going with white. :)

message 31: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 686 comments I had the following words: Immune, Arithmetic, and Digit. I might just hit the word generator again. I'll wait until I'm in the midst of reading for the tasks to decide.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) I get an error message every time I try to go to the website.

message 33: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 20, 2009 09:19PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Amanda wrote: "I get an error message every time I try to go to the website."

http://watchout4snakes.com/CreativityTools/RandomWord/RandomWord.aspx

That's not good.... what web browser are you using?

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments I get an error message too, on my personal computer, in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I tried it at work in Firefox, and it worked fine. My personal computer has Windows Vista and my work computer has Windows XP - maybe that has something to do with it?

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I'm running Vista and Google Chrome. Let me try it on Firefox and IE 8... Works on both. How strange!

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) i'm using internet explorer. i have windows vista. i tried on my sister's computer as well and she has windows xp.

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments So much for that theory, I guess!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) could someone possibly go to the site for me and tell me my words? i would really appreciate it.

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 318 comments Amanda, I just went there and got for you:
Admiration
Fragment
Tab

If you hate 'em, I'm sure someone else will try again for you!

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) | 19 comments Mine are Minute, Shouting, and Surprise. I haven't looked for books yet but it looks like I got lucky...

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) | 19 comments Amanda wrote: "could someone possibly go to the site for me and tell me my words? i would really appreciate it. "

I just saw your post and did it again if you want to use these words:

Ball, Lit and Nominal.

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 23 comments If anyone has any ideas for the following words, I would really appreciate it! Mine were 9)intended, 10)model, and 11)entire.

Thanks!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Michael Chabon has a collection of short stories calledA Model World and Other Stories. I didn't find it terribly exciting, even though I enjoy him as an author, but I also don't tend to like short stories that much.

message 44: by El (new)

El Ellen wrote: "If anyone has any ideas for the following words, I would really appreciate it! Mine were 9)intended, 10)model, and 11)entire.

Thanks!"

A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe Selected Poems, Fernando Pessoa.

message 45: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Ellen wrote: "If anyone has any ideas for the following words, I would really appreciate it! Mine were 9)intended, 10)model, and 11)entire.

Thanks!"

I have read none of these but they are in my local library.
The intended by May McGoldrick
A Model Summer by Paulina Porizkov
Model Students: A tale of coeds and cover girls by Robin Hazelwood
The Model Man by Genie Davis
How to be a Chicana role model by Michele Serros
A model world and other stories by Michael Chabon

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandag23) Ashley wrote: "Amanda wrote: "could someone possibly go to the site for me and tell me my words? i would really appreciate it. "

I just saw your post and did it again if you want to use these words:

Ball, Lit a..."

thanks i think i'm going to use lit.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 780 comments Ellen wrote: "If anyone has any ideas for the following words, I would really appreciate it! Mine were 9)intended, 10)model, and 11)entire.

Thanks!"

No Offense Intended (Munch Mancini Novels (Paperback)) by Barbara Seranella No Offense Intended by Barbara Seranella Entire Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe Photographic & Annotated Edition by Edgar Allan Poe Entire Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe Photographic & Annotated Edition

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 23 comments Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Both the Michael Chabon and the Edgar Allan Poe look like good choices for me.

message 49: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) well one of my three word and to be specific the 10th one was bookshop. How lucky can that be.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy | 52 comments Oh man, after reading these posts I was freaking, but did I get lucky or what? Grass...Winning...Wake. I may even pick a title for each and fit the other two in !! Great tasks, Cynthia!! I second the member who characterized this exercise a "scavenger hunt" - I'm having a ball and I've stumbled across several books that I would have never had the opportunity to find because I wouldn't have been looking.

« previous 1