Debate discussion

Religion > A different route to immortality

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments People are Christian because they are sheep, my friend.

message 2: by Koe (new)

Koe | 222 comments I think we'll see biological immortality (i.e. you never die of old age) relatively soon. Certainly much sooner than we'll see the type of virtual immortality you're discussing.

As an atheist though your proposition really seems to be virtual immortality vs. non-existence. Not sure which I'd pick I'd need more information about the virtual immortality.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"Computers will become powerful enough to make virtual reality real enough. People are already making money today creating virtual items and places to sell in the Second Life virtual world and I can see that continuing as a way to build up the virtual world to one day match reality."

WHo is to say it hasn't already happened?

message 4: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Matrix!! I'd like to STAY PLUGGED, please :)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"I think it would be a bit strange for the simulation we were living in to allow movies like The Matrix (about people living in simulations) to be made if the creators of the simulation didn't want us to know about the fact that we were living in a simulation. Did I say simulation enough times?"

But wouldn't that be the ultimate trick? If we had the ability to think we were in a simulation, we would assume we weren't and therefore keep the idea from scrutiny.

message 6: by Koe (new)

Koe | 222 comments As you note it will Chris it will be a long time before the sort of computer that can simulate the chemical changes that happen in your brain can be realistically modeled.

If you aren’t modeling this sort of level then I think you're going to find that your simulations of people won't be very realistic. We are those chemical reactions and if you’re only faking it I don't see why you'd assume it would really be like living.

message 7: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments To completely simulate a human brain you'd have to know the EXACT way it works...and I think that'll be a long time.

But I'm not answering your question.
Spiritual immortality or scientific immortality?

Well obviously, spirituality is based on faith, science on facts. So, theoretically, scientific immortality would be more likable.
Say you become very old, and your brain is not doing so hot (Alzheimer, etc.), would the duplicated body with your brain still be...you know. Sorry, just went brain dead.
I think that I'd rather go to sleep after the end of my life. :D You know, I don't know how exactly it would be in heaven (no one does!) But I think after a while I might be a little tired of life in general.

Ex.
My great grandmother is 87 years old. She has a card game club, plenty of children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren who love her very much. She seems sad though. My great grandfather recently died of Parkinson's and she hasn't been the same since. She had a miscarried child, and no pets. None of her great grandchildren really like to visit her except me. I think she's kind of funny. :D She just wants to be with her husband again, I think. Heaven appeals to her, because she could be with him again.

However, if I was in a lot of pain and didn't really have anyone or anything to live for, I'd like to just go to sleep and sleep forever. :D Die, I guess when you peel back the layers.

Well that was a boat load.

message 8: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I'm just saying there are a lot of variables.

And if we're helping humans live forever, it won't be long 'til we create a super species. And if the books I've read are correct, that is bad news.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments We will probably all be dead and buried before this even comes of something so I don't see much to worry about.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Yes it did.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments I agree. Or the Terminator...

message 12: by Koe (last edited Aug 19, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Koe | 222 comments Chris great articles about Blue Brain hadn't heard of it before and those folks are doing some amazing stuff.

That being said what they are duplicating isn't the brain at a molecular level. They are duplicating neurons and ion channels between them but they aren't duplicating everything that's going on. The biggest gap that I see from a quick read through is all the hormones sloshing around that play a large role in who we are.

That being said I don't want to take anything away from what these folks are doing as it is some amazing work. I just don't think they are doing exactly what you claim they are.

*edit* If you want some idea of the complexity of really simulating on a molecular level what's going on in the brain take a look at what the medical community is doing to model molecules to look for new drugs. http://discoverysedge.mayo.edu/de07-1...

Here we've got a researcher who's got a supercomputer made of "two terascale systems of 1,060 processors that have been strung together for a combined power of 3.8 teraflops" and with that it takes him 20 days to complete a simulation of a protein structure.

Now imagine the computational power that would be needed to model the trillions (trillions is probably orders of magnitude too small a number) of molecules floating around how they interact with each other.

message 13: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Liz wrote: "I agree. Or the Terminator... "

That movie was off da chain.

message 14: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Chris wrote: "Sheeky wrote: That movie was off da chain."

It's a good movie but it is also very fictional. The plot would not work without an "unobtanium" metal that can't be damaged with normal weaponry. If ..."

True, so very true.

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan If the terminators were made with real metal they would have been disabled 5 minutes into the movie.

Yeah, that's the reason those movies are unrealistic.

message 16: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Lol...

message 17: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I really don't like the Terminator movies...

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments I just watched 1 & 2 and watched the thingy at universal studios numerous times. (my dad made us). I thought they were okay. Plus Arnold Schwarsanagger (sp?) was naked. It was very entertaining to see a governor play a role like this.