The Subversives discussion

And that's exactly what he did...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
Okay, so here's the nifty, shiny new second post. It smells of new car and Internet. Mmmmmmm, Internet.

If you have a reliable source of book recommendations, post them here. I generally wander the library until I find something interesting (the latest acquistion? "Sex: A Natural History") that doesn't have an O sticker on it, or pick up one of the thousands of books my friends have recommended to me in the short time since I started writing my novel and ceased to read fiction.

Before people start slamming me for not reading right now, know that the very second the first draft is done, I'll be good 'ol bookwormy me again.

Rule One: no celebrity endorsements that involve a panel recommendation of any kind. If a celebrity recommends a book, they absolutely must have read it themselves. If a panel recommends a book, they can't have a celebrity to give them extra street cred.

Rule Two: Every third Wednesday of each month except those months containing a proper full moon, amber or honey in color and not accepting false "red" full moons (as determined by the Board of Governors of the International Full Moon Lovers Association or BOGIFMLA), shall be known hereafter as Moprah Day. On Moprah Day, the wearing of funny hats and clothes of the opposite gender is required, including but not limited to bowler hats, hose of various kinds, and accompanying undergarments, where not prohibited by law (I'm looking at you, Arkansas).

I think that's enough for rules at this point. Post away, kids.

message 2: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments LMAO!

After I stop choking from the laughter, I'll get to work finding an objective reading list.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

A thought - The Salon.com Reader's Guide to Contemporary Author's by Laura Miller (editor) is a fun way to discover new writers. It's a collection of essays by contemporary authors writing about other contemporary authors. Works by the writer are listed and one work is discussed (as I recall; I had the book a few years ago). The familiar as well as the unfamiliar are covered and the authors are from all over the world. This, of course, is only helpful if you are willing to trust the authors who are writing the essays.

A second thought - The Reader's Manifesto by B.R. Myers. Although this book doesn't recommend books it is a helpful guide in finding them, or rather determining whether what's being tauted as good is actually good. This, however, requires some reading of the work before you can make a judgment. So although it may not divert you from bad books, it may save you time if you should wind up reading one.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments I usually run screaming from "popular" books, unless recommended by certain trusted friends.

*Tangent* This is what I find inherently wrong with bookclubs. One has to find a "common denominator" that will appeal to a variety of readers so it's easy to default to the current "popular" titles. Thus, I get sucked into reading stuff that I normally would treat as both radioactive and covered with hairy tentacles. :)