Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Hello from MO!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Hello,

I have been browsing through groups since I joined GR and I just felt like this one would be the one for me. I love YA and read at least 5 or 6 books a month. I like this category because I have children, and while they have a few years before they read YA, I like knowing what the book is about and whether I would want my children reading it.

I also have a passion for soapmaking and I recently started my own business selling soap and other bath and body product.

Let's see, what else? I am a work from home mom, my kids are 7, 5, and 3. I have been married for going on 12 years now. My hubby grew up in the Kansas City, Missouri area so that is where we are are currently living, but I grew up in Portland, Oregon. It's a long story how I got half-way across the country, but a fun one.

I love books and reading and writing. I have been working on my own book for several months now. I don't have much time to work on it, so I only have a few chapters actually typed, but I have a whole notebook full of notes and plot outlines.

I am excited to be a part of this group and I look forward to reading and meeting you through discussions!

Susan

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome to the group Susan :)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Welcome Susan, glad you joined us!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments I have 19 different scents available, and I use castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil, palm kernel oil, and rice bran oil in my soap. I make it using the hot process method. I have my website in my profile if you want to look at it, I didn't want someone to think I was using this group as an advertisement for my products.

message 5: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments Welcome to the group, Susan. I love love love YA fiction too!

Good luck with your book!

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan Hello Susan, I am new to the group also. Seems we have a few things in common. My kids are 11, 7, almost 6 and almost 4. It took me 5 years to write Midnight Veil and revise it and revise it and revise it..... and get it on the market! But I did! Now it's the hard part- promoting it and getting it into stores not just online!
My book though written as fiction is more true to life. What will yours be about?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 12 comments Mine is completely fiction. The only real things in it are the places (it's set in rural southern Missouri where my Father-in-law grew up). It is definitely fantasy the main character is the daughter of mother nature and her hero is actually a unicorn who can take the shape of a human.

Good luck getting Midnight Veil on the market.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Welcome to the group Susan!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, my name is Liesl and this is the first time I am joining any online group. I am very confused as to how all this posting works-thus I think confirming my mature status.

Anyway, I am a children's bookbuyer for an independent store in Boulder, Co. I have worked in the store for 16 years doing various jobs, but have had the children's room for 3 years. It is always interesting to discuss YA books, with teachers, with librarians, with other mothers and just people who love the books. I don't know many people who read quite as many YA books as I do, but I bet there are some in your group who could give me a run for the money! So I thought I would hang with you all, and see what you talk about.

Ps-I am excited to hear? See? and join your discussion of the Hunger Games. I have not read Maus in a while-but it seems an interesting pairing and I will have to read it again....

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Liesl

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Nolan Hi Liesl! this sounds like a great place for you. I am sure you will enjoy it here!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Hi Liesl!!!