The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 20.1 - Most Improved Player - Dulcinella's task: Scrabble

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2018 03:18PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5363 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved Player - Dulcinella's task: Scrabble

When on holidays abroad, my husband and I often play Scrabble with the boards we find in our hotels. This can be rather difficult as the worth and division of the letters is completely different in every language. For this task, we'll use the English edition of Scrabble.

This is a one book task. Your book must contain more than 300 pages (301+ pages).

Read a book with a title that, if laid down on the Scrabble board, would give you more than 25 points. Subtitles do not count. You can find the value of each letter here: English Scrabble letter value distribution. You are limited to the number of letters available in the English-language regular edition of Scrabble. Super Scrabble may not be used. Blank tiles may not be used either.

Example: The Angel Experiment
A 1× 1 pt = 1
E 5× 1 pt = 5
G 1× 2 pts = 2
H 1× 4 pts = 4
I 1× 1 pt = 1
L 1× 1 pt = 1
M 1× 3 pts =3
N 2× 1 pt = 2
P 1× 3 pts =3
R 1× 1 pt =1
T 2× 1 pt = 2
X 1× 8 pts = 8
Total: 33 points

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Reserved

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5363 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments So, can the letters be used as often as we want, or are we limited by the number of each letter available in the scrabble game?

message 6: by KSMary (last edited Sep 06, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

KSMary | 859 comments The Secret of Raven Point - 306 pgs
T 3x1=3
H 1x1=1
E 4x1=4
S 1x1=1
C 1x3=3
R 2x1=2
O 2x1=2
F 1x4=4
A 1x1=1
V 1x4=4
P 1x3 = 3
N 2x1 =2
Total = 30 points
Correct me if I am wrong on this or if I used a letter too many times but I think this is correct?

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4260 comments KSMary wrote: "The Secret of Raven Point - 306 pgs
T 3x1=3
H 1x1=1
E 4x1=4
S 1x1=1
C 1x3=3
R 2x1=2
O 2x1=2
F 1x4=4
A 1x1=1
V 1x4=4
P 1x3 = 3
N 1x1 =1
Total = 29 points
Correct me if I am wrong on ..."

There are 2 Ns in your title...Raven and Point

message 8: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 859 comments Bea wrote: "KSMary wrote: "The Secret of Raven Point - 306 pgs
T 3x1=3
H 1x1=1
E 4x1=4
S 1x1=1
C 1x3=3
R 2x1=2
O 2x1=2
F 1x4=4
A 1x1=1
V 1x4=4
P 1x3 = 3
N 1x1 =1
Total = 29 points

Thanks! I ended up doing this about 3 times too. lol

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7921 comments this task is reminding me that I totally suck at scrabble! lol!

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7921 comments Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
R - 2(1pt)
E - 1(1pt)
D - 1(2pts)
S - 1(1pt)
H - 2(4pts)
O - 3(1pt)
T - 2(1pt)
N - 2(1pt)
K - 2(5pts)
Y - 1(4pts)
B - 1(3pts)
A - 1(1pts)

total - 39points

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Dee wrote: "Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
R - 2(1pt)
E - 1(1pt)
D - 1(2pts)
S - 1(1pt)
H - 2(4pts)
O - 3(1pt)
T - 2(1pt)
N - 2(1pt)
K - 2(5pts)
Y - 1(4pts)
B - 1(3pts)
A - 1(1pts)

total - 39points"

Seems ok!

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Jessica wrote: "So, can the letters be used as often as we want, or are we limited by the number of each letter available in the scrabble game?"

Hi, the intention was to ‘lay it out on a scrabble board’ so you would be limited to the number of each letter available.

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3977 comments Claire wrote: "Jessica wrote: "So, can the letters be used as often as we want, or are we limited by the number of each letter available in the scrabble game?"

Hi, the intention was to ‘lay it out on a scrabble board’ so you would be limited to the number of each letter available. ..."

There is nothing in the current task description that would indicate this restriction.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Claire wrote: "Jessica wrote: "So, can the letters be used as often as we want, or are we limited by the number of each letter available in the scrabble game?"

Hi, the intention was to ‘lay it out..."

That depends on how you read it. It does state: ‘Read a book with a title that, if laid down on the Scrabble board, would give you more than 25 points.’

But you are absolutely right it is not stated clear enough. I am waiting for the answer by the moderators, so I will come back later with a definitive answer.

message 15: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Can i just ask if when we post this task it has to be done as everyone is laying it out here.

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Can i just ask if when we post this task it has to be done as everyone is laying it out here."

It will make it easier for mods if you lay it out as in the task example, but it is not mentioned as a demand in the task.
Also, laying it out makes the room for errors smaller.
Hope this helps.

message 17: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Claire wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Can i just ask if when we post this task it has to be done as everyone is laying it out here."

It will make it easier for mods if you lay it out as in the task example, but it i..."

thanks Claire there is just ever such a lot of letters in mine but I will work on it

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Ok, after talking with moderators, the rule about the number of letters has been put more clearly to avoid confusion.

Also: no need to lay out titles with numbers into much detail.
(Sorry if you allredy posted, Marie)

message 19: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 12, 2018 12:06AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Claire wrote: "Ok, after talking with moderators, the rule about the number of letters has been put more clearly to avoid confusion.

Also: no need to lay out titles with numbers into much detail.
(Sorry if you ..."

its Ok Claire I did mine but it wasn't too difficult in the end. I like to get through challenge with our queries on my posts and the less i have to include the less chance there is of making a mistake

message 20: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2576 comments I take it from a couple of posts in the "Problems" thread, that we can't use the blanks?

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7921 comments Claire wrote: "Dee wrote: "Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
R - 2(1pt)
E - 1(1pt)
D - 1(2pts)
S - 1(1pt)
H - 2(4pts)
O - 3(1pt)
T - 2(1pt)
N - 2(1pt)
K - 2(5pts)
Y - 1(4pts)
B - 1(3pts)
A - 1(1pts)

total ..."

crap just realized this won't work - it has 2 k's and there is only 1 k on the board - boo!

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Cat wrote: "I take it from a couple of posts in the "Problems" thread, that we can't use the blanks?"

No, you can’t. Sorry...

message 23: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 13, 2018 08:28PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments I found a scrabble adder that may help for a first check to see if it's enough points to bother checking the letters. It won't make sure that you've got the right number of letters though.

http://www.dvorkin.com/scrabscor.php

message 24: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments I have been scalded by this once
I got the letter distribution wrong
I have The Mystery of Three Quarters

i make the score 51
4 x T R x 4
H x2 O x 1
E x5 Q x 1
M x1 F x 1
Y x 2 U x 1
S x2 A x 1

I don't think i have exceeded any of letter availability but would love confirmation thanks

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "I have been scalded by this once

i make the score 51
4 x T R x 4
H x2 O x 1
E x5 Q x 1
M x1 F x 1
Y x 2 U ..."

Unless the computer and I are wrong too, you are good with this!

message 26: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Claire wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "I have been scalded by this once

i make the score 51
4 x T R x 4
H x2 O x 1
E x5 Q x 1
..."

thank you Claire

message 27: by Ana (new)

Ana | 365 comments Size 12 and Ready to Rock would this book work. Can I spell out twelve or ignore it?

message 28: by Claire (last edited Sep 23, 2018 03:26AM) (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Ana wrote: "Size 12 and Ready to Rock would this book work. Can I spell out twelve or ignore it?"

I’m sorry, but I don’t think it works. Scrabble does not have numbers. So if you have a book with a number spelled out, it could work, otherwise not.

message 29: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments I messed up on my first book for this task, so can I get verification that Murders and Metaphors works? I think I counted up a 30 point score and it seems like the letters/tiles are used the appropriate number of times.

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Jenifer wrote: "I messed up on my first book for this task, so can I get verification that Murders and Metaphors works? I think I counted up a 30 point score and it seems like the letters/tiles are..."

Jennifer, unless I am miscounting too, that is correct.