Caskett in Death discussion

In Death (general discussions) > How you got started?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Travis, Fanatic In Death (new)

Travis (traviscannon) | 132 comments Mod
Here's where you share stories about how you got started reading the "In Death" books.

message 2: by Travis, Fanatic In Death (last edited Sep 03, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Travis (traviscannon) | 132 comments Mod
I'd heard about the "In Death" series first through DeeAlwaysWrites on twitter and tumblr, seeing her quoting the book and highlighting it's similarities to Castle, specially in the Caskett type relationship between Eve and Roarke. Eventually I bought a book set of the first 3 books.

It wasn't until 2016, when I broke my leg, and needed stuff to entertain myself, that I finally picked up Naked in Death. Honestly, the first book didn't thrill me that much, even if like Eve Dallas and her similarities to Kate Beckett. My other interests drew me away for a while.

I finally picked up the 2nd book in March 2018, Glory in Death, and I've been addicted ever since.

As of this post, I'm reading Imitation in Death.

message 3: by CatZinger (new)

CatZinger | 3 comments The fabulous Dee got me to finally try the In Death Series. Castle was ending, and I was at a loss.

My bookaholic husband of 22 years has been reading them since the 90's, but I didn't take him up on his recommendations because, frankly, his tastes are different than mine. Silly me. Anyway, imagine my pleasant shock and surprise when he told me that we owned all of the books already (hardback, paperback and Kindle) and we were set up on Amazon to get each new one.

He didn't know about the novellas though (hah!), so I got them for him to add to our collection.

I've read all the books and re-read them in order every summer.

So tomorrow, we will do our bi-annual download and reading of the latest book. Rule 1: No spoilers. Rule 2: No teasing. 3. Rule 3, We let us know where we are in the book, and discuss when we are both done with a chapter.

Being older than 50, Roarke to me is Pierce Brosnan when he did the first Bond movie. Eve, I'm not sure yet.

message 4: by Jana Fisher (new)

Jana Fisher | 2 comments My friend on Twitter recommended them when I was looking for something after I couldn't find any new long FF's that I liked, I read most of the long chapter ones. First book I was hooked. I would try to read FF in between books if I saw one I liked but I found that I couldn't wait to read the next one so now I am on Survivor in Death and loving it.

message 5: by Anja (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:02AM) (new)

Anja (crazysecondname) | 7 comments DeeAlwaysWrites was rereading the books and posted quotes on tumblr and they reminded me a lot of caskett so I asked her about these books and she told me it's a series with 40+ books which at first intimidated me but not anymore^^
so I bought the first book in 2016 and started reading

and I made myself wait in between buying the next books because it is a lot of money and I had all the time
and suddenly everyone is reading them and now I feel pressured to buy the books faster xD

message 6: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin Polo | 25 comments I came to the In-Death-Books because of Travis when he posted a dialogue or small scene on Twitter, comparing the pair of the books with the pair from Castle. I am a huge fan of Castle and didn't read any other stuff than Castle fanfiction.

I searched on the internet for the In Death books and found Naked in Death, downloaded it and started to read...and got hooked. Now I'm as addicted as anyone here :).

I just finished book seven in the series, Holiday in Death, and it was really amazing. Not that all books have a lot of amazing scenes in them but this book was a little lighter in the writing. In my opinion anyway. I hope you understand my meaning.

Well, now I abandoned Castle fanfic completely, because there are over 50 In Death books and I'm really curious about any development of Eve & Roarke, Eve & Peabody and all the other wonderful protagonists in those books. J.D.Robb aka Nora Roberts is really a genius. Way back when I read romantic books from her and loved them, but now I love those crime/romance books even more because they are exciting, sometimes even thrilling and romantic as well.

message 7: by S.R. (new)

S.R. Garrae (srgarrae) | 18 comments More than 16 years ago, I was handed a free copy of Glory in Death at the Tube station on my morning commute. It took me months to get around to reading it. And then I bought the lot, and have bought them as and when they are published ever since. They certainly helped to inspire me to write my book, though so did Caskett fanfiction, which got me into writing at all.

I can't wait to get Leverage, which will hit my Kindle on Thursday!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Burkholder (katebecks19) | 12 comments Over the summer this year I started seeing Castle fans (such as Travis) tweeting about the In Death series and showing how similar it is to Castle and how Eve Dallas shares qualities with Kate Beckett. Eve & Roarke dialogue that they tweeted made me think of my beloved Castle & Beckett, plus I discovered the sex factor is significantly higher than in Castle's Nikki Heat books. So, mid-July I decided to start buying the books and bought the first 3 in paperback. I recently bought 7 more books and finished Naked In Death. Still a long ways to go, but after all the tweets and Book 1, I am hooked! Also, I know I could get a hold of the e-book copies or rent from a library more easily than purchasing paperbacks, but I love books & holding an actual book and I want to own this series.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 11 comments Just joined this group. Glad to have found it. I "lurk" around a number of Castle FF writers on twitter and saw they were talking about these books all the time. So I asked a friend who loves all sorts of mystery novels if she had read them. Of course she had, and loved them. Decided I would give them a try and bought the first collection on Kindle in August.

Love them and have been reading ever since. I don't want to run out of books to read too soon (last full novel was Concealed in Death) so I have been hunting up novellas, and I also love to go back and re-read.

The fact that we are all reminded of Caskett is obvious, even though the most compelling aspect of the Dallas/Roarke romance for me is the "two lost souls" who find each other, which isn't really like Caskett at all. Beckett and Dallas are both so compellingly badass it is impossible not to love them both. Everyone once in a while, though, I am brought up short by a line of dialogue or plot twist that is so much like Castle it is almost creepy! I like Roarke as a character more than I liked Richard Castle, I must confess.