a true crime book club. discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Guidelines/Schedules/Suggestions > Fall and Winter 2018 Permanent Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (last edited Dec 02, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
Hey guys! Peter and I just finished speaking and this is the final schedule through the rest of 2018. The livestream schedule will stay exactly the same and there are going to be a couple of books where we will read in 2 weeks instead of 3. Peter and I wanted to make sure we had enough themed books to keep us in the Halloween & holiday spirit! Please comment or message me with any questions or concerns. Thanks!

9/9: HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY BY DOUGLAS ADAMS
9/30: DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY BY ERIK LARSON
10/14: YOU BY CAROLINE KEPNES
11/4: FRANNY AND ZOEY BY JD SALINGER
11/25: HOLIDAYS ON ICE BY DAVID SEDARIS

I know we’ve said it before but this is truly the final reading list.

Also, just a reminder: our next livestream will be on 9/9 at 4pm EST to discuss My Life As A White Trash Zombie. Ill be sending out a reminder invite to follow (with the correct time) — LOL!

message 2: by Mel (new)

Megan wrote: "Omg You is the October book for my other book club! How funny!

Thank you for the update Mel :) You're the best!"

That is TOO funny! Peter picked that one. :)

message 3: by Tracee (new)

Tracee Duthie | 25 comments Are we still doing Hitchicker’s Guide on 9/9? Just want to confirm. Thanks

message 4: by Mel (new)

Tracee wrote: "Are we still doing Hitchicker’s Guide on 9/9? Just want to confirm. Thanks"

We sure are. I must have deleted that line when I was making my update. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

message 5: by Tracee (new)

Tracee Duthie | 25 comments Loved You. So good. Freaky. Read it last year. I think they are making a movie or a series on tv. Will definitely reread. Always recommend it to people with kids starting college. Lol.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments So stoked for the update Mel, thank you. The Devil in the White City has been on my shelf for too long. Now the book club can keep me in check 😋

message 7: by Love Lei (new)

Love Lei Xo | 13 comments Ohhh yay! Thanks for putting up the new schedule. I'm glad I don't need to pack this huge Lace novel in my suitcase.

message 8: by Mel (new)

You guys are very welcome. Thanks so much for your patience!

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments Love the good choice of picks!

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments thank you so much!!!!!

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (musingsofacat) I had planned to start reading Devil in the White City on the 29th just for fun already, so funny :)

message 12: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Thank you!

Will definitely do some of these.
I highly recommend the audio for You, the narrator does one hell of a job. Cannot wait for the series :)

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments Love seeing titles that I've been interested in but never had that "push" to read!! I'm excited!!!

message 14: by Mel (new)

Yayyy!!!!

message 15: by Allie (new)

Allie Emch (akabaki) anyone reading david sedaris... I would recommend the audiobooks over the physical books....he reads them and tells his stories SO well...I think you get more out of listening to him haha

message 16: by Venetia (new)

Venetia Breakwell (mrs2648baker) | 12 comments Thanks for the updated list, looking forward to reading this list as I know that there are novels, in the list that i would never have read. Funny Peter refered to reading books with kids, my 9 year old and I are reading Hitchikers. He is currently all the way to Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Mommy is slacking but in my defence I'm finishing Sharp Objects and Wuthering Heights. Thanks once again!
V x

message 17: by Nico (new)

Nico (piratesandpixiedust) | 1 comments to confirm: the date listed is the start date, not the Livestream date?

message 18: by Angy (new)

Angy I'm glad you kept Hitchhikers Guide. I'm looking forward to the updated list, with the exception of The Year of Magical Thinking which sounds like (for me personally) it's going to be rather heavy/depressing so I'll skip.

message 19: by Mel (new)

Dominique, the date listed is the start date of the next read & (usually) the livestream date for the previous read.

message 20: by Mariacristina (new)

Mariacristina Moreno (nerdy_m0mmy) | 1 comments I’ve been a member for months and I’m finally going to participate! I’m already ordering the next read!

message 21: by Robin Loves (new)

Robin Loves Reading (robint60) | 1 comments Hi. I have yet to participate but I read You when it first came out. Looking forward to reading it again.

message 22: by Den (new)

Den | 23 comments I'm INNNNN So excited!!!!!!!!! Love you Mel and Peter

message 23: by Mel (new)

Den wrote: "I'm INNNNN So excited!!!!!!!!! Love you Mel and Peter"

❤️❤️❤️

message 24: by Kelcey (new)

Kelcey | 1 comments I'm not sure of it will help anyone but if you don't own or can't afford a book, try searching for it on YouTube. I don't have a physical copy of The Devil In The White City but the audio book is on YouTube for free ☺

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments Kelcey wrote: "I'm not sure of it will help anyone but if you don't own or can't afford a book, try searching for it on YouTube. I don't have a physical copy of The Devil In The White City but the audio book is o..."

Thanks for the info!!

message 26: by Mel (new)

Oh that’s an excellent idea!

message 27: by Venetia (new)

Venetia Breakwell (mrs2648baker) | 12 comments Hi all, just a quick question about Hitchiker's; are we reading the first book or the trilogy in five parts? Thanks!
p.s. thanks Kelcey for the YouTube info.

message 28: by Mel (new)

The first book

message 29: by Venetia (new)

Venetia Breakwell (mrs2648baker) | 12 comments Thanks Mel!

message 30: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Hampton | 1 comments I’m new here and I’m super excited

message 31: by Mel (new)

Welcome!

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Keck | 2 comments So excited to join this book club! Yay!

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I am going to try and get "Devil in the White City" in time to read it as I have always wanted to read it. I think after that I will check in again after "Slaughterhouse Five" I read that in eighth grade and though I thought it was a good book it is not something I want to reread. I loved "You" but once again it's a reread and I have too many Halloween themed books to read in October. I really enjoy the book club so I will be back.

message 34: by Michelle (last edited Sep 10, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I got Devil in the White City on Thrift Books. Excited for that. (And currently loving Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

I guess I'll reread Franny & Zooey even though I remember it being a bunch of endless, boring bitching about first world problems. I own it though, so may as well see if my opinion's changed.

I'll probably reread Slaughterhouse Five as well. It's been a long time.

The rest I'm probably going to skip. They don't seem to be my gig.

But I might try the David Sedaris book.

message 35: by Bec (new)

Bec | 6 comments Hey! I am new to the club and my first Read will be The Devil in the White City. I am already about half way through and I find it so interesting.
My name is Bec and I am coming from one of Peter Monn's Channels... "Peter Likes Books".
Since he announced the Spookathon I got inspired to join this group and finally get some reading done that I have been putting off for a long time.

message 36: by Mel (new)

Welcome!

message 37: by Mel (new)

Super bummed. There’s a 9 week waitlist for You at my library. 😢😢😢

message 38: by Venetia (new)

Venetia Breakwell (mrs2648baker) | 12 comments Hi Bec, nice to meet you! Mel it's really good too, I started You yesterday and it's super creepy! I had it as my Audible credit, sooo good. I checked on YouTube, but it's not available which is also a bummer. Chat to you all later :)

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittany-brown) | 16 comments The Scribd app has You in book format. It’s like $8.99 a month but I’m pretty sure the first 30 days are free. Might be worth signing up (then cancelling if you want) to get your hands on this one for “free”.

PS Scribd has SO MANY good books and audiobooks. Totally worth the money.

message 40: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Mel wrote: "Super bummed. There’s a 9 week waitlist for You at my library. 😢😢😢"

Yeah, I think the show Lifetime did for it is definitely making it more popular despite it have been out a while. Highly recommend getting the audio on Scribd (free month trial) if you can. The narrator is amazing. The show is also really good so far but definitely recommend the book first ;)

message 41: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Megan wrote: "Has the series gone into the second book at all?"

It's still on the first book but they've already renewed the series so maybe they'll go into that then or do something new. I think they have only aired 5 or so episodes so far.

message 42: by Peter (new)

Peter Monn | 23 comments Mod
Hey everyone! Mel and I are going to be revamping some of the books especially starting in 2019 so if you have suggestions please let me know! xo

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

What's for December?

message 44: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Klopfenstein | 16 comments Lilicegirl wrote: "What's for December?"

We’re reading Holidays On Ice by David Sedaris

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.