Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Assassin's Apprentice
Hobb - Various > Assassin's Apprentice [Jan 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 178 (178 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Jan 25th.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Got my copy and I'm super excited to read this series! :D

message 3: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments I was going to do ebook, but I'm tempted to order a nice paperback now.... XD
All my buddy reads this month are on my kindle, I'm going to have physical book withdrawal!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4550 comments There’s something great about reading a nice physical copy, you should get one!

message 5: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Just ordered on ebay for £2.80! :)

Anny | 241 comments My e-library has it :)

message 7: by Lesa (new) - added it

Lesa Divine | 30 comments I plan on jumping in with you all. I had brought book 1 and 2 at a library sale. So I am reasy.

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Just ordered on ebay for £2.80! :)"

Good choice, they are so beautiful :)

Choko (chokog) | 7699 comments You have no idea how long I have wanted to read this! I will try to join in for sure!

message 10: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Just ordered on ebay for £2.80! :)"

Good choice, they are so beautiful :)"

They really are! I love the older covers too, the really shiny ones!

alicat ♡➹♡ | 39 comments Yes, I'm in for this one!

message 12: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Just ordered on ebay for £2.80! :)"

Good choice, they are so beautiful :)"

They really are! I love the older covers too, the really shiny ones!"

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, #3) by Robin Hobb

Those? If so I really like them as well, I don't really like characters on the cover, maybe that's why... 😅

message 13: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Yes those! Beautiful metallic ones.

I just bought : Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb

message 14: by Anni (last edited Jan 05, 2019 01:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Yes those! Beautiful metallic ones.

I just bought : Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb"

I own the Rain Wild books in this edition, and the last trilogy in a similar one, buying it I thought it would be the same, but somehow those books are shorter... But I love all of them and sometime, for my re-read maybe, I want all the Elderlings books in this edition to look nice on my shelf 😂

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Yes those! Beautiful metallic ones.

I just bought : Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb"

I got the same!

message 16: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments I've seen pictures of people's shelves with all the Elderlings books in this edition and they do look AMAZING! I think I will end up with a bit of a mixture buying them second hand.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "I've seen pictures of people's shelves with all the Elderlings books in this edition and they do look AMAZING! I think I will end up with a bit of a mixture buying them second hand."

I googled the series and man, it looks so awesome when you've got the entire series in this edition: https://alltomfantasy.se/wp-content/u...

I'll try buying as many as I can second-hand but I'm such a stickler for matching series that I probably won't have much success xD

message 18: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I've seen pictures of people's shelves with all the Elderlings books in this edition and they do look AMAZING! I think I will end up with a bit of a mixture buying them second hand...."

That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍

message 19: by Kathrine (last edited Jan 05, 2019 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

On a related note, I really love Harper Voyager and their editions of books. They are almost always very nice to look at and good quality. I'm collecting their editions of Temeraire (these ones: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Mb-t0-w-8g...) and they look so good on a shelf. Likewise, the A Song of Ice and Fire books from Harper Voyager looks so good!

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

On a related note, I really love Harper Voyager and their editions of books. They are almost always very nice to look at and good qua..."

They are great :) Yesterday, I bought the german book 2-5 of the Malazan series via ebay classifieds. I'm so happy, because I got them 4€ each, instead of 12€. I really like the new editions and I love that they have a smaller version of the cover on their spine as well :)

I can't wait for them to arrive!

message 21: by Siobhan (last edited Jan 05, 2019 01:20PM) (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

On a related note, I really love Harper Voyager and their editions of books. They are almost always very nice to look at and good qua..."

They are gorgeous! But my favourite Temeraire covers are these ones:

Temeraire (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4) by Naomi Novik Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5) by Naomi Novik

My collection is totally mixed, I have some English, some American, some hardback, some tiny paperback! 😅

message 22: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

On a related note, I really love Harper Voyager and their editions of books. They are almost always very nice to loo..."

I love love love those covers! :D and what a bargain!

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

On a related note, I really love Harper Voyager and their editions of books. They are almost always very nice to loo..."

Those are gorgeous too! It's only fair such a great series should have amazing covers :D

I can only find the small format paperbacks here in Denmark so I have to order my editions online and you never know if you'll get one or the other Harper Voyager edition (they make both the one I collect and yours)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "They are great :) Yesterday, I bought the german book 2-5 of the Malazan series via ebay classifieds. I'm so happy, because I got them 4€ each, instead of 12€. I really like the new editions and I love that they have a smaller version of the cover on their spine as well :)"

I love a good deal! Especially with matching covers, and those are gorgeous!

message 25: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments I'm so sad! :'( Book came in the post and they've sent the wrong cover. It's the old old one which I personally don't like much!
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb
😢 Suppose I can't be too mad for how little it cost!

message 26: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Oh noooo! :( At least it's better than the new (US?) edition linked in this thread... I don't like people on bookcovers 😅

message 27: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Yes you're right! That is a silver lining! XD

Alana | 20 comments I'm in for this one!

Katie K | 2263 comments I'm going to join for this one as well :)

message 30: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel | 1472 comments I've had this one on my shelf for a while years now - unfortunately the mass market cover above. Maybe that's part of what has kept me from picking it up - haha! Well, perhaps now is a good time to read it with everyone.

message 31: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Melissa wrote: "I've had this one on my shelf for a while years now - unfortunately the mass market cover above. Maybe that's part of what has kept me from picking it up - haha! Well, perhaps now is a good time to..."

Yayyy do it! :D

message 32: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Katie wrote: "I'm going to join for this one as well :)"

Yayyy! This buddy read is going to be epic! :D

Katie K | 2263 comments Siobhan wrote: "Yayyy! This buddy read is going to be epic! :D"

Yes it shall :D

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'm so excited :D :D :D

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Wow! People are excited! Already 34 posts 2 weeks before the BR officially starts haha.

message 36: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Barry wrote: "Wow! People are excited! Already 34 posts 2 weeks before the BR officially starts haha."

Yesss! The best kind of buddy reads! :D

message 37: by Seán (new) - added it

Seán | 602 comments Ok I might have to hop in on this! Been meaning to get to the series for a while and this looks like it's going to be a really active buddy read!

Elena Granger | 83 comments Hello! I'm new one here, nice to meet you all, I want to join this BR too.

message 39: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Welcome, Jess! :)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Started early, because I misplaced another book I’m supposed to read.

Only end of Ch 1, but I’m really liking the prose ... so smooth and flowing.

message 41: by Siobhan (new) - added it

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7856 comments Can't wait to get to this. Just need to finish off 2 books then I'll be on it, hopefully on time. :)

message 42: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "Started early, because I misplaced another book I’m supposed to read.

Only end of Ch 1, but I’m really liking the prose ... so smooth and flowing."

Starting early too, cause I've finished my other books.

Starting Ch 3, I'm liking the descriptions of the lives in the castle and town. The little boy and the pup is growing on me, which made me sad (view spoiler)

Katie K | 2263 comments Anny wrote: "Barry wrote: "Started early, because I misplaced another book I’m supposed to read.

Only end of Ch 1, but I’m really liking the prose ... so smooth and flowing."

Starting early too, cause I've f..."

I'm starting a bit early as well for the same reason Anny. I expect it will be a slow read for me. At least there is an audiobook version I can listen to while on the work commute. XD

I just started the second chapter and I can already say that I'm captivated by Hobb's writing. Her descriptions literally transport you to that otherworld of the Six Duchies. I'm still taking in all of the lore, but it's early goings. Boy is an interesting character, made moreso by the boy + dog combo XD

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments End of Ch 4

I agree, I too am loving the writing.

So far just setting up the important characters. Brief histories of the Six Duchies and Buckkeep in the beginning of each chapter, which I enjoy immensely. Just one horrifying incident in Ch 2. But, with the way the book was written, it’s been like a breeze in a sunny, warm day.

message 45: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 4

So far just setting up the important characters. Brief histories of the Six Duchies and Buckkeep in the beginning of each chapter, which I enjoy ..."

Yeah, I really sympathize with our dear boy. (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "That is bookshelf goals!!! 😍😍😍"

Yes indeed! 😍

Malazan is translated as the game of gods in German?

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Anny wrote: "Barry wrote: "End of Ch 4

So far just setting up the important characters. Brief histories of the Six Duchies and Buckkeep in the beginning of each chapter, ..."

Our MC kinda reminds me of Arya with (view spoiler), but less boisterous and less intelligent.

I so want to finish this book asap, but if I do that I might finish before the official start date lol.

message 48: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "Anny wrote: "Barry wrote: "End of Ch 4

So far just setting up the important characters. Brief histories of the Six Duchies and Buckkeep in the beginning of e..."

lol, you might want to finish your other book first then, and on the 25th binge read this book so technically you will finish it after the official start begin.

Katie K | 2263 comments Barry wrote: "I so want to finish this book asap, but if I do that I might finish before the official start date lol."

I know what you mean Barry. lol. This book is just wonderful to dive into.

I was finally able to get past your Ch 4 spoilers. (view spoiler)

I'm currently at Chapter 6 so we see a bit of training going on and new folk. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Barry (last edited Jan 24, 2019 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Yeah, I finished another book, so did t read this yesterday.

End of Ch 8

Things are picking up steam, just a little bit. I really like how Hobb depicted the daily lives and the trainings that Fitz got.

Sad that (view spoiler)

Chade (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4