Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
This topic is about A Torch Against the Night
Archived: BOM/SGOM > A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

A Torch Against the Nightby Sabaa Tahir

Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars’ survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus’s will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape…and kill them both.

Please join us :)

message 2: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Starting now. I have the audio so it's easy to listen while I work.

message 3: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ok, I'll start tomorrow then.

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I want Elias to end up with Helene instead of Laia...

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments We have Helen's POV in this book.

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I noticed that... I’m looking forward to reading/listening to her POV. I still think the Augurs are manipulating them somehow and Elias is doing exactly what they expected/ wanted him to do.

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Ugggh it's not a love square anymore! It's a pentagon!!!!

message 9: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote="Chapter 10"

(view spoiler)

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "ShoSho wrote="Chapter 10"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m still not happy with the world-building. Also, what the heck!? The pentagon! Why?!

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 32 I think
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm around Ch. 20 and still think Helene is far more interesting than Laia... or Elias.

message 14: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch.47 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 53
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m done.

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I have another 4hours to go.
Did you like it?

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’ll wait for you to finish before I comment. :)

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 53
[spoilers removed]"

Yep! Helen and Harper are far more interesting that Laia and Elias.

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch.47 [spoilers removed]"

I didn't either. I thought maybe just maybe he could be traitor but I didn't think he could be what he is.

A lot of unexpected things happened, I'm not a fan of books that kill the characters too easily. This is one of those books.
I finished it but I didn't really enjoy it. It felt torturous to listen to it. The book had a very negative a dark feel to it. I'm just a bit curious but not enough to read the next one. Maybe when I'm in the mood to read a depressing book I'd read the next one.
what about you G?

message 21: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I didn’t really enjoy it either. I can’t connect or identify with Laia, maybe because she feels like every other heroine in YA. There’s nothing special about her. Why do people follow her? Because the author wants it that way. Why is Keris so evil? Just because. The world building is severely lacking. I get the sense that the Augurs are manipulating events but to what end? What do they want? We should know by now. Also, Elias and Laia’s feelings for each other feel forced. Helene is out of the triangle, she essentially laid to rest her feelings for Elias and she has bigger things to worry about. I want to see more of her and Harper. I though this was a trilogy but it’s really 4 books and the last one isn’t out yet. Maybe I’ll pick up book 3 when B4 comes out. I want to know what happens to Helene.

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yes let's read 3 and 4 when 4 comes out.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Torch Against the Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sabaa Tahir (other topics)