Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Wonder - Sept 2018 > Chapter 1 and First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
We start off with a rather long first chapter! I like that it allows us to get a pretty good feel for the book. What do you think of the nurse? Of the writing? Is it shaping up to be like you expected?

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy  Altizer | 3 comments I was a little surprised at Lib in this first chapter. She really doesn't seem to like Ireland and seems like a cold fish. Her descriptions of the scenery, people and situation kind of demonstrate right off the bat, that she doesn't want to be there and she has definite presumptions of Anna. It is kind of an interesting first chapter to a book.

message 3: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I really find Lib an unlikable character. I’m sure that is intentional on Donoghue’s part. It doesn’t make me want to stop reading though. Anna seems a delightful little girl and I’m intrigued to see what happens.

message 4: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 12 comments I am not sure that I like how long the chapters are. It makes it harder to read to a good stopping spot. It was an intriguing first chapter though! Although Lib isn't very likable, I'm more interested right now in her journey through this task of watching Anna than I am in Anna's journey. So far, I am enjoying this book.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 10 comments I'm about halfway through the first chapter and so far it is slow going. For some reason my mind continues to wander each time I pick it up. Also, and I don't know why, I am so thrown off by the character being named Lib. I feel like it doesn't fit the character.

message 6: by Berna (new)

Berna | 64 comments I just finished the first chapter.
I am not sure how I feel about this book, I sure wanna know how can Anna survive with just water for so long.
On the other hand, I did not like any of the characters and especially put off by both Lib (some of her thoughts are pure racist) and the mother (looks like a religious freak who heavily influences her daughter) who seem to be on the conflicting sides.

message 7: by Jean (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Jean  Field I had to DNF this one. I just couldn't get into it.

message 8: by Patti (new)

Patti (prenticekid) | 9 comments I very much liked the first chapter. I like that it set up a unique and unusual story. I look forward to learning more about the people and their stories.

message 9: by Samiyah (new)

Samiyah (samiyahswann) I was surprised that I got sucked in. I am ashamed to say but I did judge this book by the cover and was not intrigued. But I'm glad one of my goals this year was to get out of my comfort zone. I am loving this story and I hope you guys don't hate me but I actually relate to Lib! It must be the cynic in me. I don't know. I used to be such an optimistic person.

message 10: by Elsa (new)

Elsa The first few pages describing Lib's travel did not draw me in, but now that I have finished the first chapter, I am interested. There is a great deal of contrast between Lib and the O'Donnell family in many ways: education, religion, dialect/vocabulary, and warmth. I imagine we will find out why Lib has such an adverse view of religion in the coming chapters. I am glad she is an outsider because I don't know much about Catholic practices either.

Anna's fine, colorless fur is typical of people with anorexia. I wonder if we will witness her death or if there is indeed a miracle taking place.

message 11: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Nancy wrote: "I was a little surprised at Lib in this first chapter. She really doesn't seem to like Ireland and seems like a cold fish. Her descriptions of the scenery, people and situation kind of demonstrate ..."

A "cold fish" is just right. Ha!

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue Richardson | 11 comments That first chapter was loooooong. Took me a while to understand what was going on. I can’t say there were any characters that impressed me in a positive way. Gloom and doom from them all. .

message 13: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Franklin | 3 comments Despite the first chapter being a decent length, I’m still not sure how I feel about the characters really but I am interested in the plot. I am eager to find out what is truly going on with the Anna and the book has certainly held my attention, after the first few pages regarding Lib’s travel I mean. Will be reading more tonight for sure!

message 14: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I agree with most of you on most things. haha. This first chapter was pretty long. I much prefer short chapters as a general rule. I also took a hot minute to get into the story. Once we knew a bit more of what Lib's role was and she got to the house I was more interested. I wasn't impressed with some of her comments about Ireland and Irish people. But can understand her cynicism in regards to Anna and this phenomenon of not having food for 4 months. Lib is convinced that it's a hoax and is suspicious of everyone and everything. I am very interested in the faith element and looking forward to seeing how it all affects Lib's character development through the story. Of course, I'm also super curious to know more about Anna and what's going on there.

What do you guys think of the brother? Anna immediately thought he immigrated to America, but I have a feeling he died. Any thoughts on him? I wonder if whatever happened to him was a precursor to what's going on with Anna.

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue Richardson | 11 comments Keep reading!!!!! Its a crazy book !

message 16: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Franklin | 3 comments I agree with you Krista. I believe the brother died as well but I’m curious since nothing has been said either way yet. I am reading a bit every night because I feel invested at this point and also very interested!

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 57 comments I am loving the book so far. I, too, think the brother is probably dead. Lib comes across to me as a snobbish know-it-all, but I think that once she gets to know Anna she might change. I can't wait to read on. I will continue into October with this, since I got a late start.