Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > Regarding Omnibuses and Compilations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2355 comments Mod
If I have something that's an omnibus, I just mark the published book as what I own and the individual books as read. I don't mark the omnibus as Read unless I've read the whole thing. So if I look at a Best Of list that has the individual books (as they usually do), they will display as Read. I don't worry too much about managing an "Owned" list, because I trade most of them in. I don't have the space for all of them, but I'll keep more rare ones or ones I really like.

message 2: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
Please do not create new editions from omnibus: it would be confusing to other people and the Librarians would start to gather their torches and pitchforks.

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Honestly I would not fret about the inconsistencies between total book&page count on Goodreads and the actual number of those. In the end it all evens out, there are still few dozen of books I've read as a child and I never added them to my database, though a couple of times a year I run into a novel I know I've read, so I add it as I go along.

A much bigger problem for me is inability of Goodreads to discern between a book and a 7 page short story, when it comes to "books read" count. I like short stories and novellas but I am forced to skip registering 90% of the ones I read outside an actual collection of stories. For instance out of all Hugo stories nominated this year I only rated and registered the one I liked the most, Carnival Nine.

Adding every short story I read would skyrocket my book count and would fool anyone (who gives any damn about) browsing through my stats.

message 4: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3993 comments Mod
Art wrote: "I like short stories and novellas but I am forced to skip registering 90% of the ones I read outside an actual collection of stories. For instance out of all Hugo stories nominated this year I only rated and registered the one I liked the most, Carnival Nine."

Now there are more and more short stories in GR database, I was able to add all Hugo and nebula for this year and I guess for the last two years situation is the same:
most nominated s.stories are in magazines, which have online versions, where the stories are available for free
even if they hadn't been available before the nomination, after they can be found on the author's website [and are entered in GR as a separate work]

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
It's not that lack of those that worried me, it's that every short story that I mark as read adds up to the total "books read" count. Of course I can (and I do) use shelves to count short stories separately, but I don't want to be that guy who has 2735 read books and 60% are short stories and comics.

message 6: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2355 comments Mod
Agreed, they should create a different "Read" statistic for shorts. Like you, a few I've marked, but I've not identified most as books. Separately, I keep a spreadsheet with a table of everything I've read this year, mainly because I was curious about page count and reading rate, so I do add them there.

message 7: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Art wrote: "I don't want to be that guy who has 2735 read books and 60% are short stories and comics."

Why not? If 60% of the titles you've read are short stories and comics, I suppose you like them. Doing what you like increases your personal happiness and [unless it affects negatively others' happiness] global happiness as well. Are you afraid that someone can call you not a very serious person based on what you read?
In annual statistics GR will show you the longest, shortest and average read

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "Why not? If 60% of the titles you've read are short stories and comics, I suppose you like th..."

I might be not explaining myself well enough, because we are getting further away from my original point. Which was that words "My books" -> "Read" should imply how many books I've read, wherever a short story is not a book (in a good case it's a 10th of one) nor is a comic book actually a book (I'm gonna get some flak for this).

Originally I had a *.txt file with books read, which later turned into a Word file and later got scrapped altogether when I realised I could just add all the books I've read using Goodreads database and be done with it. The sole purpose of this exercise was to keep tabs on the amount of books I've read, by adding every short story I read it throws the count off. The solution to this problem for me lies in adding only one short story every 10-15 atories I read, unless it's a proper collection (like the one I've read the other day by Asimov).

message 9: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
Steve: I understand what you're saying and I kinda feel the same disconnect you describe when it comes to omnibus editions, but I've decided to ignore that voice and just do what needs to be done.

If I've read two books from three-book-omnibus,and I'm never going to read that third one, I just mark the individual books read and use the first paperback edition I find on Goodreads edition list. It's close enough.

If I think I'm going to read that third book someday, I probably keep the omnibus on my "Currently reading" -list and mark it as "66% read". Again: close enough.

message 10: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Art wrote: " The sole purpose of this exercise was to keep tabs on the amount of books I've read, by adding every short story I read it throws the count off. "

I see. It is interesting, because I actually liked that short are counted as books, for initially I've set low goals [on GR Readlist] and added only "long books". Now I add shorts, set goal higher and in annual data check pages read as a true metric

message 11: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Sep 05, 2018 07:32PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
The way I do it suits my purposes, so I guess there isn't one sure way to utilise Goodreads as personal book database, everyone has to fine-tune their own approach for their own satisfaction.

I've checked my data for this year, have roughly 9.2k of pages read between 35 titles and which amounts to roughly 265pages per book. Considering the fact that some of them are short stories I would say I'm happy with the result, in the end it evens out. Those shorts that I've read but never added to my read list would've just thrown the average out of whack.

message 12: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
The main way I use goodreads is to keep track of what I read so I don't get 50 pages into a book and then realize I've read it before. I also have a list of books that I abandoned or had to return to the library. I figure if I abandoned it, I better write a few notes about it so I don't forget.