Art Lovers discussion

Talent of the Members > Another portrait

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Another portrait.
This time it’s my father and the technique is linocut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linocut

The portrait was made a couple of years before my dad died of a massive hart attack. He was only 65 years old.
At the time of the portrait he must have been around 60, exactly my age now.
Getting him to pose for me was a bit of a struggle. I wanted him without clothes, because I wanted the portrait to be timeless. But my dad never went out without shirt and tie. So we compromised and he posed in his sleeveless underwear. Which I could easily remove ;-)
My dad was a wonderful man. Always full of jokes and a big heart. But I wanted him to look very serious with a certain gravitas.
Which I think shows in the portrait, but still there is a hint of a smile and something of a twinkle in the eye.
The framed print has a special place in our home where we pass him a couple of times a day. So indeed, as people say, not a day goes by without thinking about him.
His name was Françiscus, but most people called him Frans or Sus or Sooi. He died when my son was six months old, so he got to know his grandchildren. He died at home in the afternoon. My mom was with him. It was over very quickly.
End of November it will be 23 years.

First pic is a detail that gives the impression of looking very close at the print. Second is the framed print about 45cm wide and 60cm high.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments Dirk wrote: "Another portrait.
This time it’s my father and the technique is linocut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linocut

The portrait was made a couple of years before my dad died of a massive hart attack...."

Very, very nice.

message 3: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Thank you!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Wonderful! Yes, I can see he had a kind face, trying to look serious...partially succeeding, but you did capture his personality it seems. Good job!

message 5: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Very nice! Kind of sculptural but flowing at the same time. It doubtless looks like him. I did a drawing of my mother shortly before she died too. It is also on my wall and to me captures her more than photos.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments That is so much more personal, I think. I can’t draw anything but I have a sketch black, gray and white of my dad shortly before he died, too. It is the only picture I have on my piano. I play for him sometimes, and I feel I can actually talk to him as that is how I remember him.

message 7: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Nice...

message 8: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Kristine wrote: "Very nice! Kind of sculptural but flowing at the same time. It doubtless looks like him. I did a drawing of my mother shortly before she died too. It is also on my wall and to me captures her more ..."

Thank you!

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 353 comments Nice work!

message 10: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 106 comments That is very impressive, Dirk - also full of emotion.

message 11: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Albin wrote: "That is very impressive, Dirk - also full of emotion."

Thanks!

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 353 comments Reminds me of Chuck Close.

message 13: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Chris wrote: "Reminds me of Chuck Close."

I can see why, but with Close size matters, his portraits are mostly very big.
This portrait is just a little bit larger than life size.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 50 comments Wow, fantastic!
I'm a Close fan, and for 10 years or so I've thought about doing a portrait of our adult son and daughter ala Close (color). We shall see ...

message 15: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Brian wrote: "Wow, fantastic!
I'm a Close fan, and for 10 years or so I've thought about doing a portrait of our adult son and daughter ala Close (color). We shall see ..."

What's holding you back?

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 50 comments Just inertia. I have to commit the time. I haven't painted for about 10 years. But I'm actually going to do a large-scale abstract work this spring that's been organizing itself in my mind for about 18 months. If I enjoy that time investment, then the portrait will come next.

message 17: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Brian wrote: "Just inertia. I have to commit the time. I haven't painted for about 10 years. But I'm actually going to do a large-scale abstract work this spring that's been organizing itself in my mind for abou..."

I can relate to the time problem ;-)
Even now in these Corona days. But retirement is coming up, I hope to have a bit more time then.
The last portrait I made was last year, the deceased mother of a colleague. It's not a etching but a line drawing (digital). I tried a few times working in color, but I'm more self confident in black and white.

Large scale? Wall size?
Funny: a neighbour of mine (I can glimpse his workshop through my kitchen window) is working on such a big canvas for months now. I estimate it's about 2,5 meters high and almost square. So I know how long it takes to paint it!

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 50 comments I haven't checked online to see what the easily available canvas sizes are, but something in the range of 4x5 feet.

message 19: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments 4 or 5 feet is a nice size.

2,5 meters is about 8 feet. I seem to remember that my neighbor ordered it online, because he was not at home when the delivery van rang and then rang our doorbell so we had this very large pack in our hall way and very curious as what it could be. It's only when my neigbor came to collect it he said it was a rolled up canvas.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Fagan | 50 comments Oh, he stretches his own. I'll buy something ready-to-go.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Clark (thatlauralass) This really is lovely Dirk, fantastic work. I've found lino printing to be quite unforgiveable so the way you've managed to retain each contour so precisely is incredible!

message 22: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3289 comments Laura wrote: "This really is lovely Dirk, fantastic work. I've found lino printing to be quite unforgiveable so the way you've managed to retain each contour so precisely is incredible!"

Thanks!
It's been a long time since I did a lino. Probably couldn't do it anymore ;-)

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 353 comments Excellent, you have a gift, Dirk.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments That’s a new one for me. I’ve never heard of ‘Lino print’. I’ll have to look it up and educate myself. But when I do, I’ll look at yours, Dirk, and see what it looks like!