Play Book Tag discussion

Beowulf
This topic is about Beowulf
Archive: Other Books > beowulf | translated by Heaney

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments There's something really amazing about relating to people who had died more than a thousand years ago. 
They are so far gone, but for a moment I'm sharing a bit of their day-to-day

This is one of the reasons I love the old testament and mythology. 
And here I am again - lucky enough to read something that was told and retold many hundreds of years ago. and with dragons and fetching
young warriors to boot 
I loved the story, the emotions, ideas and habits of the people. I love the simplicity. How there's not much details, but then it focuses on small things.
The setting - a fight inside a pond with red water... a treasure cave close to the sea... warriors halls, swords with names. angry dragons

I don't understand enough (or at all) about poetry to judge it but it was very readable and I would love to hear it as well. 

Sometime the story mentioned old(er) fights and grievances (from before the story) and I got a bit lost. But I loved the rest

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Idit, I recommend a quick wiki/internet research to fill in the blanks. I normally skim wiki before I read the an older book. Go back to wiki when I get lost, and then really read wiki and other sources after I'm finished.

I love reading classic literature. I'm glad you enjoyed Beowulf. I recommend Song of Roland and Lucien's True History.

Idit | 1028 comments Jason wrote: "Idit, I recommend a quick wiki/internet research to fill in the blanks. I normally skim wiki before I read the an older book. Go back to wiki when I get lost, and then really read wiki and other so..."

good idea

when I finished reading the book I went hunting for your old review.
I was very surprised you gave it only 2 stars - since your review was reason I read it lol
In my memory you were much more enthusiastic of it.

Song of Roland is on my lists (thanks to you). Never heard of the True History but will look it up now.

I did purchase Heaney's translation of Aeneid Book VI because Beowulf was so lovely (and because the book looked pretty and had a golden title)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Idit wrote: "(and because the book looked pretty and had a golden title) "

#1 reason to get a book. haha Aeneid is on my list for next year.

I'm not a fan of the Beowulf story (dull) but I do get its value. I also remember studying Beowulf in school before I appreciated classic literature and I hated that experience. sooooo.... 2 stars. I would have liked better if Grendel or his mother had put up some kind of legit fight against Beowulf. The part I do like is the lesson at the end with the Dragon. Hubris.

I do love The Song of Roland and its partly true.

I did a review of Lucien's True History. Its the first known work that could be classified as Science Fiction. Its satirical so a wiki look up is greatly recommended.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments I love Heaney's translations and he is such a beautiful poet in his own right. I'll have to put this one my list!