The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Sophie's task: Boardgames

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5363 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Sophie's task: Boardgames

One of my favourite things to do when I was young was to play boardgames that had been my parents when they were younger. I've used a selection of these as inspiration for the tasks below.

This is a one book task. Choose one option from those listed below.

Required: State which option you have chosen when you post.

Option 1 - Wildlife
Collect animals from at the world to fill your zoo. This game was originally produced in association with WWF and has an emphasis on animal conservation - the only game I can think of with a moral message.

Read a book with an animal that can be found in a zoo on the cover (no pets, mythological creatures, or extinct animals allowed).
Ex: Zoo Story Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck The Soul of an Octopus A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery Endangered Species (Anna Pigeon, #5) by Nevada Barr
Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option 2 - Go
The aim was to travel the world by plane, train or boat and collect souvenirs. I loved seeing what you could collect round the world and the different currencies that were used.

Read a book with the MPG Travel.

Option 3 - Careers
To win you had to get a combination of happiness, fame and wealth by pursuing a variety of careers from Hollywood, going to sea, a space mission and uranium prospecting in Peru to name a few. The scoring got tricky and required some mathematical skill to work out.

Read a book with a number in the title or subtitle. Numbers may be ordinal (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc) or cardinal (1, 2, 3, etc.). They may be in numerical form or spelled out.
Ex: 1st to Die, The 500, My Name is Number 4, I Am Number Four

Option 4 - Campaign
This is similar to Risk, but set in Napoleonic Europe. You move your armies and general to capture towns and conquer lands.

Read a book with the author's first and last initials in NAPOLEON BONAPARTE. Middle names should be ignored. If a book has multiple authors, all authors' initials must fit.

message 2: by Sophie (last edited Oct 01, 2018 01:51AM) (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Allowed
Numbers in a foreign language
Roman numerals

Animals
Tiger - yes
Owl - yes
Whale - yes
Rabbit - no

message 3: by Sophie (last edited Oct 08, 2018 11:18AM) (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Not suitable
Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5363 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cat (last edited Sep 04, 2018 07:29AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2576 comments No question, just popped in to say that this makes me very happy....

Where better to put Napoleon the Great than here, against option 4? :) (author: Andrew Roberts)

oh, and congrats on winning this task :)

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach Fellows | 198 comments Would a book that is 3rd in a series designation count for the Careers option?

For example: Oathbringer

Thanks

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Thanks Cat! Glad you've got something that fits so perfectly.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Zach wrote: "Would a book that is 3rd in a series designation count for the Careers option?

For example: Oathbringer

Thanks"

The number has to be in the title or subtitle. Just being part of a series doesn't count. Oathbringer doesn't contain a number so wouldn't count.

message 9: by Christi (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:32PM) (new)

Christi Reynard | 406 comments Wondering is this will work for option 1, since only the bottom half of the tiger is on the cover?
The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht
thanks

message 10: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments For option 3, can the number be in a different language?

Fromage à Trois

message 11: by Alaina (new)

Alaina Rodriguez Would Roman numerals work for Option 3?

Such as: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Christi wrote: "Wondering is this will work for option 1, since only the bottom half of the tiger is on the cover?
The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht
thanks"

Yes since it is recognisably a tiger

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Jenifer wrote: "For option 3, can the number be in a different language?

Fromage à Trois"

Yes, I'm happy with this

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Alaina wrote: "Would Roman numerals work for Option 3?

Such as: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption"

Roman numerals work for me

message 15: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments Sophie wrote: "Jenifer wrote: "For option 3, can the number be in a different language?

Fromage à Trois"

Yes, I'm happy with this"

Great! Thank you.

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments For Option 3, would "first" work? Wizard's First Rule

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments First works for that option.

message 18: by Kaora (last edited Sep 23, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1181 comments Authority (Southern Reach, #2) by Jeff VanderMeer

Would a rabbit work for Option 1? Our zoo has a number of rabbits. I know they can sometimes be pets... but some people also have tigers as pets >.>

If not how about an owl?

Acceptance (Southern Reach, #3) by Jeff VanderMeer

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments I'm happy with the owl cover.

No to the rabbit cover; rabbits are pets more often than they are in a zoo (and tigers are the opposite) which is the benchmark I'd use to say yes or no to this task

message 20: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1181 comments Owl it is!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellesoleil) | 162 comments A little unsure, so seeking your input. Would whale work for the zoo option? Thanks. :)

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments I'm happy with a whale.

message 23: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Would this be ok for a tiger for Option 1? (the teeth are below the title, and the eyes are above)
Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments I'd struggle to tell that was a tiger if I wasn't told, so it won't work for this. Sorry