The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 25.5 - Rina's task: In Memory of Denis Ten

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5324 comments Mod
25.5 - Rina's task: In Memory of Denis Ten

Denis Ten (13 June 1993 – 19 July 2018) was a figure skater. He was the 2014 Olympic bronze medalist, a two-time World medalist (silver in 2013, bronze in 2015) and the 2015 Four Continents champion.

Denis Ten was stabbed in the thigh on 19 July 2018 in Almaty by two carjackers who were attempting to steal his car mirrors, which were worth about 86 U.S. dollars. After being stabbed, Ten lost about 3 litres of blood and died from the severe blood loss at the Central Clinical Hospital in Almaty, three hours after being admitted.

This is a 2 book task. Choose 2 different options and read a book for each.
REQUIRED: State which options you chose when you post.

The books must have a combined total of at least 600 pages.

Option 1: Read a book that was first published in 1993.

Option 2: Born in Almaty, Ten was part of Kazakhstan's Korean minority. Read a book set at least 50 % in Kazakhstan or in South Korea. E.g.: The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years, The Vegetarian
REQUIRED: If the setting is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, provide a reference when you post.

Option 3: Read a book with all letters from DENIS TEN in the title and/or subtitle. Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the title/subtitle.

Option 4: Denis Ten died at the age of 25. Read a book where the number of pages has the number 25 intact: 125 pages or 250 pages will work; 205 pages or 152 pages don't work.

Option 5: Read a book with a white car or with a car mirror on the cover.
E.g: No Right Turn by Terry Trueman Ghostbread by Sonja Livingston Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson The Princesses of Iowa by M. Molly Backes Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler Rearview Mirror by Stephanie Black
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Rina (last edited Oct 03, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Approved:

Option 5:
The Artichoke Queen by Owen Duffy Dollface A Novel of the Roaring Twenties by Renee Rosen Taking the Long Way by Max MacGowan 100 gelukkige dagen by Fausto Brizzi Envious Casca (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #2) by Georgette Heyer

message 3: by Rina (last edited Nov 03, 2018 03:15AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Not approved:

Option 5:
The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13) by J.R. Ward

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5324 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Can I please get The Artichoke Queen by Owen Duffy approved for the white car criteria? There is a shadow over the picture making it look gray in the front but on the side you can see that it is white. Thanks!

message 6: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Pam wrote: "Can I please get The Artichoke Queen by Owen Duffy approved for the white car criteria? There is a shadow over the picture making it look gray in the front but on the side you can see that i..."

Yes, it looks like the car is white.

message 7: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Does this look like a white car to you? If so, I would appreciate your approval. Of course, she's blocking the mirror! Thanks.
Dollface A Novel of the Roaring Twenties by Renee Rosen

message 8: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Does this look like a white car to you? If so, I would appreciate your approval. Of course, she's blocking the mirror! Thanks.
Dollface A Novel of the Roaring Twenties by Renee Rosen"

Yes, the hood looks white to me, so it could be the same as with the previous cover: shadow makes it look gray, but the car is white. I added it to the approved covers in message 2.

message 9: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 12, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments i am just checking if I need to find DENIS TEN in title AND letters can only be used as often as they appear a book that contained all those letters but had 3 E's in it could not be used

so I had intended to use Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls at the Winter Wonderland

but it has more Es and S than in DENIS TEN

I may have misunderstood the wording but just wanted to check

message 10: by Rina (last edited Sep 13, 2018 12:50AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "i am just checking if I need to find DENIS TEN in title AND letters can only be used as often as they appear a book that contained all those letters but had 3 E's in it could not be used

so I had ..."

It means that the title (and/or subtitle) has to have 2 E's and 2 N's. It can have more letters than needed, but a title with only 1 N or 1 E would not work.
So Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls at the Winter Wonderland works, but e.g. The Girl Who Chased the Moon doesn't (only 1 N in the title)

message 11: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 13, 2018 12:58AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments Rina wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "i am just checking if I need to find DENIS TEN in title AND letters can only be used as often as they appear a book that contained all those letters but had 3 E's in it could not..."

thanks i read it the wrong way Rina I think my brain was in the cupboard last night

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Would Taking the Long Way by Max MacGowan work for Opt 5?

message 13: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Would Taking the Long Way by Max MacGowan work for Opt 5?"

Yes, there is a car mirror on the cover.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments 100 gelukkige dagen by Fausto Brizzi
Would this count for option 5? I see a car mirror in the middle, but wanted to check.

message 15: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Claire wrote: "100 gelukkige dagen by Fausto Brizzi
Would this count for option 5? I see a car mirror in the middle, but wanted to check."

Yes, it works.

message 16: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2567 comments is this one white?
Envious Casca (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #2) by Georgette Heyer

message 17: by Rina (last edited Oct 03, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Cat wrote: "is this one white?
Envious Casca (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #2) by Georgette Heyer"

On this cover it looks more like beige to me, but there is an edition with the same cover in better quality where the car looks like it could be white, so I'll say, you can use it. Happy reading!

message 18: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Would this work for option 5 for car mirror?

The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13) by J.R. Ward

message 19: by Rina (last edited Nov 03, 2018 03:15AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Would this work for option 5 for car mirror?

The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13) by J.R. Ward"

Sorry, but the mirror needs to be clearly visible, so this cover doesn't work :-(