Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > SEPTEMBER 2018...BOTM... The Camel's Back..By Brian Christopher Shea

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 804 comments Mod
Mr. Brian, this thread is ALL YOU!....
Folks, let the games begin...…….

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Oh what a fabulous read. The author took so many everyday issues that face America today and so eloquently spun a story. This main character though! I was actually “cheering him on” to rob the ATM/bank.

message 3: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 272 comments I really enjoyed this book!! It just goes to show that government bureaucracy can have a detrimental effect on a persons life!! And the higher ups didn’t care!! They just make sure their butt was covered!! As Ruth said, I was actually rooting for him to obtain the funds from the ATM drop!! He was basically forced to do this, especially with the medical issue for his medically challenged little girl.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments This is a FAANNTASTIC story and I'm giving it FIVE ***** Stars as soon as I finish my review.

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 272 comments 5 stars for me as well!! When I complete my review!!

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
What did y’all think about the author showing the terrorist before he was a terrorist. He seemed like a decent dude before his daughter was killed. I appreciated this. So many times when we hear about a terroristic act and we wave the American flag and have no idea there is a person behind it. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t sympathize with terrorism, but it did give a back story that was plausible. I can see how he blamed America for his daughters death. He was wrong, but I see where it was going.

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
This author has a knack for taking issues and making them multifaceted and relevant.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments Well, Ruth, I know how I would react if some other country came in here and killed my friends and family. Making the Translator an actual human is a difficult writing task. But it makes the story and the stakes all that much more real and personable.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments Okay, The Camel's Back is up on my BOTM site along with links and other nifty stuff. Check it out and I'll see y'all right back here!
http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments This is my first Goodreads book club connection and it's really quite exciting. I love connecting with readers and hearing their thoughts. Ask me any question you like and I'll do my best to answer it. And thank you all for the kind words.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments stephanie wrote: "Mr. Brian, this thread is ALL YOU!....
Folks, let the games begin...……."

Thank you so much for selecting my book to be a part of you reading list. I'm honored and humbled.

message 12: by stephanie, MOD (last edited Sep 01, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

I really enjoyed this book Brian, I really did. The writing was out-of-site,,well I did actually have a huge issue. I am just speaking from the heart, only because I know your a cool dude. The only thing I did not like about your book is when you had Declan dress up as a black man. Now with all the past stuff, and all the things going on now, why did you have to do this section this way? I'm just asking, not trying to start World War 4.....
The first part of this book is really an eye catching, Declan shoots someone of color, then he snaps,,Yes it reminds me of that weekly series SNAP....Folks can get you to snap real quick like. And I was rooting for him to rob a few more places, and get away...Yes I was rooting for the bad guy...

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments Great question Stephanie! I had Declan mask himself as a black man or Hispanic because it would be the best misdirection as far as law enforcement. It gave him a bigger separation from the physical description. His intention was never to frame another race, just to make it near impossible for them to pinpoint him. Nick was too smart for the ruse anyway ;)

Political correctness has never entered into the minds of the criminals I've faced in my real life job. So I didn't want to bind him to it either. I wanted to run the robbery with the optimum chance of his ability to realistically get away with it.

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
When I read the robbery scene I never questioned the black/Hispanic angle. It only entered my mind that he was throwing off the authorities. The fake tattoos, the fake license plate...all from someone who knew the system.
He knew exactly who to throw off investigators. It was a mastermind move.
Now that Stephanie asked that, I can see where she picked it up.
Actually, the beginning scenario where the black man was shot...remember, the “translator” set that up. That bleeeeew my mind. What a shocker.

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
When I read novels, I tend to picture actors playing the role. Declan in my mind was “played out” by Dennis Quaid. It made my read very entertaining.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments So some of my writing comes from experience. The opening scene happened to me in January of 2015 where I was in an armed standoff with a young black man with a gun to his head. I was able to get him to drop the gun ...after some very tense minutes. I tried to make that as real as possible. I actually ran into the kid two years later and we had a long talk about that night.

message 17: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Ruth, can you see me in this picture???? Yes it would throw the FBI off track when they look for something else, but then you will have the scenario where the police will stop every man with that description. Sad,,,,,But it was good Brian, it was good...
So moving on to why a lot of people snap after they loose their jobs...hummm. Let me tell ya, when this Deputy was terminated, and the LT thought that he was going to come back because he was sooo upset that he was terminated. Men, most of them can't take the "YOUR FIRED"..line….Me, I would just pick up my undies and get another. But one thing I know for sure is even if you get fired at one Police Dept, you can get picked up within 6 months at another.....

message 18: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Wow! THATS why your writing came across as authentic. It really had a Clint Eastwood or Mel Gibson quality.

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Normally, yes. I would think losing a job in the police dept and having all that training you could easily pick up another job. But, don’t forget the chief black balled him and smeared his rep with other forces because he arrested the chiefs daughter in a heroin selling ring.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments Sometimes people can't see beyond their immediate circumstance. I could've made Declan just a down and out kind of guy, but I really wanted to have some fun with him and spice things up a little. The bank robbery was really fun to write. Some of my partners told me it was as if I had actually planned one...lol.

message 21: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
I do agree that men take it harder. He was a man that served his country during a very lethal war...he was framed and fired unjustly...he lost his health insurance...about to lose his house...and had a disabled child. He was pushed past his breaking point. Even though his wife didn’t appear that worried, she readily said yes to the robbery. She was at her last straw as well.

message 22: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Well, Brian, I did check your photo against the country’s top ten fugitives to make sure you checked out.

(Just kidding)

message 23: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 272 comments Brian - I enjoyed the book very much. I also liked the fact that even though he was terminated from his job - he still remained loyal to being law enforcement and did whatever he could to protect the American people from this terrorist. He went full out in this book. I also liked the way that the book started out in Afghanistan and the history behind the actual plot.

message 24: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments Thanks Vickie, I really wanted to take readers on a journey. It's a story that's been bouncing around in my head for years. I am glad to have released it. A very cathartic experience. I will now use the series to tackle other challenging topics, but always with the intent of entertaining.

message 25: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
I think the use of such “hot topics” that really hit America was a great move. It was entertaining...but with realism.

message 26: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 272 comments Brian - that sounds like a great plan. Your writing was superb and the character development was spot on!!

message 27: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I remember wanting to try out for the FBI,,and ended up elsewhere...Maybe in my next life...

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments Brian wrote: "So some of my writing comes from experience. The opening scene happened to me in January of 2015 where I was in an armed standoff with a young black man with a gun to his head. I was able to get hi..."
Outstanding!

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments I have an interesting FBI story, but I'll save it for my memoir! 😨

message 30: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments I really enjoyed the insight, comments and great questions on the book. I fell asleep very happy last night. I will continue to check back in and respond to any inquiries. Thanks again to all!

message 31: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (JASchneider) | 11 comments Ruth wrote: "Oh what a fabulous read. The author took so many everyday issues that face America today and so eloquently spun a story. This main character though! I was actually “cheering him on” to rob the ATM/..."

Me too, I was cheering him on. That's the author's skill, for sure.

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
What do y’all think abut his using hot topics facing out country today? I think many would steer away from debatable issues. It was so well written that I felt I actually LEARNED something about it. I now see other people’s point of view.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments Yes, Ruth. It's a wonder that "soft" targets are not being hit all over the place in America. People would be freaking out completely. Actually we have special National Guard units that have received extensive training in modern CBR warfare (Chemical, Biological and Radiological) with "sniffer" tools they use when deployed to monitor public events. These folks have special trucks that are laboratories. Actually, their training goes beyond extensive. So they're out there looking. I can never get them to comment on actual attack attempts, however. So it's not like we've gone to sleep regarding various threats.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 286 comments About a third of the way into the book, Brian mentioned a target outside the bank where the bus caught fire and then was detonated. He mentioned a set of coordinates. Naturally, I had to see what was at those coordinates and tracked the location down on Google Earth. And guess what? He didn't just make that up. I've got pictures on my website. Check 'em out. http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 35: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I just finished looking...Did anyone else see the light Blue van in the picture by the bank???? Hellllooooo! The wife had a van too you know...

message 36: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Lolol

message 37: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
But, sadly the van was blown to smithereens by that pesky fire. I honestly didn’t think they were going to bite the dust.

message 38: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
And yes, I looked it up as well. Lolol.

message 39: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments I'm so glad I didn't screw up the coordinates...

message 40: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Lol. Nothing...I mean NOTHING gets past this group. When we say AUTHENTICITY, we mean it. Hahahahaha

message 41: by Brian (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments And yes, soft targets were the focus of my book. It's always been something that plagued me after 9/11. So much energy was spent protecting large venues I began to think of ways to harden smaller less visible events. It was a conversation with a fellow SWAT teammate and when we were running a security detail at a football game. I think you see where I took that thought with the book...

message 42: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Every single target was so real.

message 43: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
So, I’ve mentioned Jeff Bridges portraying Nick. Who do you see as playing the other characters.

message 44: by Brian (new)

Brian Shea | 31 comments Bridges would be great. I actually had in mind John Krasinski or Ryan Phillippe. Someone mentioned that they saw Dennis Quad, but I think he might be out of the age range for Nick.

The book may be adapted to screenplay in the near future. Fingers crossed it will make the next step someday.

message 45: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Lol. I mention Bridges a few weeks ago. Keep in mind, to me Bridges is still 30 and in his prime. Hahaha

message 46: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Krasinski though...much better choice.

message 47: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Well I am throwing my name in the pot to be the guard on the money truck that delivers money to the ATM machines...

message 48: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
That job would scare me to death. And I taught middle school English, so I’m pretty tough. Lolol

message 49: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
But I pictured an Owen Wilson type to play the other guard. Lolol.

message 50: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 694 comments Mod
Eva Mendes as Izzy.

« previous 1 3