2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > November Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 02, 2018 02:56AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for November and the theme is Throwback!

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by September 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1073 comments What exactly does “throwback” mean.? Is it an old book? Something that was nominated before and did not win? A book that you could not finish so threw it back?

I would like to join a group read, when the right book comes along, but not sure of what exactly this topic is about, to suggest a book.

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6936 comments I'm nominating The Throwback Special by Chris Bachelder. Not only is the title on-point, the book is about a bunch of former football players who get together to reenact a football game. It was a finalist for the 2016 National Book Award.

message 4: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments Ziggy wrote: "What exactly does “throwback” mean.? Is it an old book? Something that was nominated before and did not win? A book that you could not finish so threw it back?

I would like to join a group read, ..."

It's really up to your intepretation :) We're not too strict, we like to see how you interpret a theme.

message 5: by Connie (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:35AM) (new)

Connie | 3 comments The idea of a group read is interesting and worthy of a go. My first thought at Throwback was Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls. Published in the late 1960s, it takes a gritty look at the lives of three young women in the years following World War II and the emergence of the second wave of feminism. The #MeToo movement has nothing on the experiences to these women.

message 6: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1073 comments Using the definition of throwback being a book published a long time ago. I’m nominating a book published 110 years ago..Anne of Green Gables

I’ve never read it before but only have heard good things. It is one of those books I feel like that I should have read already.

message 7: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6936 comments Ziggy wrote: "Using the definition of throwback being a book published a long time ago. I’m nominating a book published 110 years ago..Anne of Green Gables

I’ve never read it before but only have he..."

Good choice! I highly recommend the entire book series and then watch the Netflix series, Anne with an E:)

message 8: by Delaney (new)

Delaney (delaneyrice) | 48 comments Ziggy wrote: "Using the definition of throwback being a book published a long time ago. I’m nominating a book published 110 years ago..Anne of Green Gables

I’ve never read it before but only have he..."

I second this nomination! It is such an amazing book.

message 9: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments I’d like to nominate Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. This series is a major throwback to my childhood!

message 10: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3391 comments I will nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.

Harry lives his same lifetime over and over again. Always born the same way in the same place with the same parents. Differences only arise as he makes different choices in each life.

In short, his existence is made of Throwbacks.

message 11: by Loni (new)

Loni Keks (lonikeks) | 21 comments SarahKat wrote: "I will nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.

Harry lives his same lifetime over and over again. Always born the same way in the same pl..."

I am very interested in this book! So, this is my nomination for November!

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 40 comments Connie wrote: "The idea of a group read is interesting and worthy of a go. My first thought at Throwback was Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls. Published in the late 1960s, it takes a gritty l..."

I'll second Valley of the Dolls. Such a great throwback to the 60's.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I'll third Valley of the Dolls. It's a book that I've been meaning to read and I already have a copy.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cooper (hcooper) I nominate A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. A throwback to the French revolution, it is one of those books I keep wanting to read and I haven't got around to it. November 'throwback' may be a perfect time!

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I will nominate The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. From the description "The Thirteenth Tale is a love letter to reading, a book for the feral reader in all of us, a return to that rich vein of storytelling that our parents loved and that we loved as children." So for throwback this promises to take us as readers back to happy childhood moments.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Hannah wrote: "I nominate A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens...November 'throwback' may be a perfect time!"

You could say it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. ;-)

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cooper (hcooper) Randy wrote: "Hannah wrote: "I nominate A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens...November 'throwback' may be a perfect time!"

You could say it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. ;-)"

Touché Randy :)

message 18: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4211 comments Lindsay wrote: "I will nominate The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. From the description "The Thirteenth Tale is a love letter to reading, a book for the feral reader in all of us..."

I'd like to second this nomination!

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire  (claire6452) | 713 comments I'd like to nominate The Greatest Generation as a throwback to the generation of our parents and grandparents who accomplished so much.

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Connie wrote: "The idea of a group read is interesting and worthy of a go. My first thought at Throwback was Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls. Published in the late 1960s, it takes a gritty l..."

I second this!!

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 173 comments SarahKat wrote: "I will nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.

Harry lives his same lifetime over and over again. Always born the same way in the same pl..."

I will second this nomination!

message 22: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments rose wrote: "I nominate The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I haven't read this book since my freshman year of high school, and it's always a good read!

From the description, "Esther Greenwood is brilliant, beautif..."

Unfortunately we have already read The Bell Jar. It looks exellent though, but could you nominate another book? :)

message 23: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments I'm nominating Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson because it's a throwback to my childhood and school library. Love this book!

message 24: by Consuelo (new)

Consuelo | 190 comments Winter wrote: "I'm nominating Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson because it's a throwback to my childhood and school library. Love this book!"
I second this nomination

message 25: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments Two more days to nominate guys! Keep on suggesting!

message 26: by Scgirlz3 (new)

Scgirlz3 | 16 comments Winter wrote: "I'm nominating Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson because it's a throwback to my childhood and school library. Love this book!"

Winter wrote: "I'm nominating Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson because it's a throwback to my childhood and school library. Love this book!"

This is a great idea and I second [third] this nomination

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Winter wrote: "I'm nominating Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson because it's a throwback to my childhood and school library. Love this book!"

I'll also second this one. Avast ya scurvy dogs!

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments Poll is up! Go vote for our next read!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.