The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
This topic is about Equal Rites
Our TMS Reads > Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Aug 31, 2018 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Welcome back, Suevites! It's been a while but we've been resurrected. Shout out to Renee for lighting that spark ;)

So! This September we're reading Equal Rites - by beloved author, Terry Pratchett, set in the well-known Discworld. Although filed as Discworld #3, it is Book 1 from The Witches series also containing Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad. How many Pratchett fans are out there in Sueville, and what do you think of the series order?

We're so happy to be reading together again, so join the discussion and let us know what you think about this book, this sub-group, and this entire series. Happy Reading!

Cheryl (chocokitteh) | 17 comments Hooray! This makes me so happy :)

Kyle I’m a relative newbie to Pratchett, having read only 2 Discworld books and Good Omens. I’ve wanted to read this one for awhile and am glad to be doing it here. I actually bought a new copy of the book - I usually buy my books 2nd hand, it’s a kind of treasure hunt for me to find favorite authors. That’s one reason I appreciate Discworld-it matters not which order I read them in, so I don’t have to wait to find particular books before I start what I’ve found.

Mina Kobold (artistickobold) | 2 comments I've only read a few Pratchett books so far myself, so I don't have too much of an opinion on reading order (I go by publishing date mostly just out of habit). Have enjoyed what I have read so far of the Discworld books, so looking forward to what everybody else thinks of Equal Rites. : )

Eujean2 | 24 comments Equal Rites is my second foray into Discworld. (I read Going Postal several years ago.) I’m about 1/4 of the way into Esk’s story and I’m enjoying Terry Pratchett’s playful voice.

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) I'm pretty new to Pratchett, I've only read Good Omens. I'm also really enjoying the playful writing! I am also loving the subtle gender role commentary. I like that Esk "just knows" how to do things with magic inside herself and even though she can't explain them, she knows that they're right. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

message 7: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 1 comments As a massive Pratchett fan, I'm all aboard for this read. I'll echo some of the earlier comments about the playful writing, but I do think this is a book where Pratchett is still finding his feet. (view spoiler)

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Oh my goodness I finished this last night and I'm sold. I absolutely love the writing and this story of Esk was just too perfectly a subtle feminist coming of age story that melted my heart. I chuckled so many times at his twists of common metaphors and sayings. Also, knowing that we may get to see Grammy Weatherwax after she's grown as a character from Bad Ass makes me really happy. I gave it five stars. Loved it.

Kyle Thanks for no spoilers! I'm really enjoying it. I agree with Niall, that Pratchett is still finding his voice here. There are chuckles, and certainly it's a social commentary, but not as strong as some of his later work. But still, I'm enjoying it, and love Granny and Esk!

Eujean2 | 24 comments A fun read. I will certainly read more Discworld books in the future. I’m intrigued to hear more “witches” stories, in particular.

message 11: by Kell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments I just popped in to see how everyone was enjoying it :) Welcome to Discworld.

message 12: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle I finished this afternoon. I’m looking forward to reading more of Granny Weatherwax. I really appreciate Esk, and related to her. I was a young girl during the 70s (yes, I’m that old) and took Equal Rights quite seriously, even forcing my school to offer Tech class to girls ( at the time we could only take Home Economics). The teacher hated me, openly, for this and I got a lot of flack, even from other girls. So I see a bit of myself there. And of course the Librarian is another favorite that appears in an important role Moving Pictures. Loved it!

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Lol I have the next book on my Kindle all ready to go. I'm hoping to be a Discworld fan :3

message 14: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em (emeralds0ng) Well done Kyle! I work in a technical field. It's important not to take for granted the ground that's been fought for by the activists through the decades!

I only picked up a library copy of Equal Rites (finally) on Saturday. Looking forward to reading it!

Anita (anitafajitapitareada) Kyle that's awesome. I definitely took access to the same courses as boys for granted in school, so thanks for being part of making that part of my life cush. I also just looked up Moving Pictures and I'm even more excited to read Discworld so I can get to it. I know they can be read in no particular order, but I want to knock some of the older series out before I move on to "Discworld's Industrial Revolution" as I've seen it called.

message 16: by Kell (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kell (pandorastrumnelliahanfloriana) | 7 comments Yeah, new recruits to the Pratchett fandom. I'm really glad we started with Equal Rites. Esme Weatherwax is one of my favorite people (fiction or non-fiction), and I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it.