What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Hero who finds it difficult to empathize with other people

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Ann | 161 comments I recently finished watching a Korean drama entitled 'A Beautiful Mind' and it is about a brilliant doctor who can't 'feel' emotions or understand them, especially when it comes to other people, because of a damage on his frontal lobe. He tries to act normal and pretend like he understands people by reading their body language. It is loosely based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (given the fact that the H was 'created' by his adoptive father who is also a doctor).
At first he was rude, callous, and of course he was content with what he had. He even had a girlfriend (view spoiler)
Along the way he ended up wanting more- to feel and to love, to actually care about his patients and his new love interest (a cute and innocent cop who is very idealistic and stubborn).
I really want to find books with heroes like the H on this drama because he had so much depth of character. The drama left me wanting more and I want to find books with an H like that, preferably on the Romance genre, but really, anything will do. I can't seem to find a shelf for that though T.T
If the h happens to be naive and strong at the same time, that'll be jackpot!
Another spoiler on the drama though (view spoiler)

message 2: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 185 comments "The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie" by Jennifer Ashley. It's historical romance. Ian Mackenzie is, likely, on the autism spectrum. So, he was poorly understood and spent a lot of time in an asylum (that's on the book description and not a spoiler) and has many of the characteristics you listed.

It is a favorite book of mine, but I don't know if it will have the "depth of character" literary quality that you are looking for????

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 281 comments I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells, if you don't mind YA. It is the first in a series.