Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Caption Cooks (1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 264 (264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ LaurLa

Ensemble:
✔ Rachel
✔ Sally906
✔ Hazel
✔ Raine
✔ Amanda A

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:47AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:11AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by LaurLa (last edited Sep 01, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Links and Stuff!!

Pass The Parcel Round 11 - Q&A (post 1 contains weekly calls)

Team Read Shelves:

LaurLa

Rachel

Sally906

Hazel

Raine

Amanda A

message 6: by LaurLa (last edited Oct 25, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Weekly Tracking

✔Week 1 - 11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless (compulsory lists) (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 2 - 9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of the following lists: (compulsory lists) (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 3 - 7. Read a book tagged with 'magic' (does not have to be a main page genre) (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 4 - 8. Read a book with MCs at different ends of wealth or social status from one of the following lists (compulsory lists) (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 5 - 15. In honour of such a successful duo, read an anthology or a book written by two authors. (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 6 - 5. On your full TBR ~ your 'want to read'/'to read' list, not a cut down list ~ read a book on first page of oldest 100 (view spoiler)

message 7: by Sally906 (last edited Aug 31, 2018 10:03PM) (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Checking in!

LaurLa! Yippee- Mwah Mwah!
Waving to Amanda A - nice to catch up again :)

For those that don’t know me - Rachel, Hazel and Raine - I’m an Aussie, married for 42 years with 2 grown-up daughters and 3 grandchildren.

Looking forwards to the Challenge.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 161 comments Hello everyone :) My name is Rachel. This is my second time doing this. I found the last round of this really fun. So I'm back for more.

message 9: by Hazel (last edited Sep 01, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Hi Everyone I’m Hazel I’m from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. I have a 9 year old sports mad son. This is my first time doing this challenge but I’m looking forward to it.

Rubbish at thinking of names however I thought I would put these forward

Fish hook lovers or
The Caption cooks

Fish hook and Caption cook are both Cockney rhyming slang for book - Gilbert and Sullivan were born in London where they speak cockney.

H x

message 10: by LaurLa (last edited Nov 17, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Weekly Tracking 2

✔Week 7 - 2. Read a book with an MC who is a writer (author, poet, screenplay writer, journalist etc) ~ from one of the following (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

✔Week 8 - 3. Read a book with an MC who plays or writes music (composer, musician, singer etc) ~ from one of the following lists (view spoiler)

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

Week 9 - 1. Read a book set in the UK
🎭LaurLa:
✔Selection-msg 198
✔Completion-msg 222
🎭Rachel:
✔Selection-msg 201
✔Completion-msg 230
🎭Sally906:
✔Selection-msg 205
✔Completion-msg 208
🎭Hazel:
✔Selection-msg 200
✔Completion-msg 202
🎭Raine:
✔Selection-msg 215
- Completion-msg x
🎭Amanda A:
✔Selection-msg 204
✔Completion-msg 210

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

Week 10 - 6. Read a book with a building on the cover
🎭LaurLa:
✔Selection-msg 227
✔Completion-msg 228
🎭Rachel:
✔Selection-msg 223
✔Completion-msg 229
🎭Sally906:
✔Selection-msg 226
✔Completion-msg 231
🎭Hazel:
✔Selection-msg 221
✔Completion-msg 233
🎭Raine:
✔Selection-msg 232
- Completion-msg x
🎭Amanda A:
✔Selection-msg 217
✔Completion-msg 247

🎭🎭🎭🎭🎭

Week 11 - 3. Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with the same letter
🎭LaurLa:
✔Selection-msg 253
✔Completion-msg 255
🎭Rachel:
✔Selection-msg 251
✔Completion-msg 254
🎭Sally906:
- Selection-msg x
- Completion-msg x
🎭Hazel:
✔Selection-msg 248
✔Completion-msg 249
🎭Raine:
- Selection-msg x
- Completion-msg x
🎭Amanda A:
✔Selection-msg 250
✔Completion-msg 252

message 11: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments For name, I really like The Caption Cooks.

We are also team 1, so we can make a play on that if we wanted...

message 12: by LaurLa (last edited Sep 01, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Some hints for first-timer Hazel (or everyone)...

First, read through the Q&A thread. There are a lot of FAQs there that will really help you. However, feel free to ask anything here! I'll gladly try to answer any questions or post them to Jane if I can't.

Since we have a week until the first call, you may want to take a look at the call categories also in the Q&A thread. Especially the compulsory lists - see if any books are on them that you would be able or willing to read. And if there isn't, you can add books to the lists if you want (up until the game starts) - but they must fit the theme of the list, obviously!

In my first reserved post (#5), I'll post the link to the Q&A thread - looks like that is also where the weekly calls will be maintained. Also in that post, I will put links to all of our Read shelves for easy access for when we need to do Option 2.

Post #6 is where I will track our weekly selections/completions.

message 13: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments LaurLa wrote: "Some hints for first-timer Hazel (or everyone)...

First, read through the Q&A thread. There are a lot of FAQs there that will really help you. However, feel free to ask anything here! I'll gladly..."

I think I am 5 hours ahead of you Laurla.

I have already started to make lists of books for each theme and have added some options to the compulsory lists also. I like to be organised 😀

message 14: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Excellent - then you are way ahead of me - in time zone and organization ;-)

Sally is ahead of all of us!! I believe it tomorrow where she is ;-)

message 15: by Amanda A (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Amanda A | 769 comments Hi team!

Waving back to Sally and LaurLa! Great to catch up with you ladies in another group!

Nice to meet you, Hazel, Rachel, and Raine. Looking forward to playing this round with all of you!

I live in South Carolina where it has been way too hot for weeks. I am ready for fall weather now that September is here. I work full time as an accountant and have no kids, but I do have one very spoiled Yorkie and eight nieces and nephews that I spoil and send home to their parents. :-)

message 16: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Where I am in Aussie Land we are 9 1/2 hours ahead of The UK and 13 1/2 hours ahead of New York.

So right now it is Sunday morning.

Being obsessive I made a list of books - have one assigned to each task already! I have stuck them on a special shelf called ptp11-romance here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I have played this game before but may need my memory prompted.

message 17: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments LaurLa wrote: "US to Scotland to Aussieland (where Jane is too if I remember right)... which may make completing the race at the end a bit, uh, challenging! But no worries, we'll figure it out and have fun no matter what!..."

Yes - I am an Aussie :) I think I'm 30 mins ahead of Sally.

The last round was won by a team who had members in USA, Europe & Australia from memory. So don't think it is going to be super-hard :D

message 18: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "LaurLa wrote: "US to Scotland to Aussieland (where Jane is too if I remember right)... which may make completing the race at the end a bit, uh, challenging! But no worries, we'll figure it out and ..."

Yes 30 mins - but from October 7 you’ll be 1 1/2 - nothing like daylight saving to stuff the world up :)

message 19: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Sally906 wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "LaurLa wrote: "US to Scotland to Aussieland (where Jane is too if I remember right)... which may make completing the race at the end a bit, uh, challenging! But no worries, we'll ..."

I am currently at 11.30pm Sat night. I’m usually late to bed and early to rise so hopefully should manage to communicate ok 😀.

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments i'm hopeless with daylight savings! We don't change times in Queensland so I haven't had to worry about it much. Now I'm always googling to see what time it is overseas.

message 21: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "i'm hopeless with daylight savings! We don't change times in Queensland so I haven't had to worry about it much. Now I'm always googling to see what time it is overseas."

I have an app that I have tuned into London, New York and Los Angeles - so have a vague idea of what’s happening.

I presumed you were NSW - bad me - end of next year we are retiring to QLD - Toowoomba.

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Sally906 wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "i'm hopeless with daylight savings! We don't change times in Queensland so I haven't had to worry about it much. Now I'm always googling to see what time it is overseas."

I have ..."

Hahaha - I'm from Toowoomba!! Grew up there. I now live out west, just outside Taroom, north of Roma.

Gosh - you'll feel the change in seasons in Toowoomba by comparison to Darwin!!

message 23: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments We were there two weeks ago - spent a night at Roma on the way back.

We want seasons - originally from Newcastle NSW we’ve been in Darwin 42 years and can not tolerate 8 months of nonstop humidity anymore. Youngest daughter lives just north of Brisbane near Nambour and our oldest daughter lives here in Darwin but her husband’s family are from Ipswich. So will see her when she comes down once a year, and have no doubt they will move into the area as well.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 161 comments LaurLa wrote: "For name, I really like The Caption Cooks.

We are also team 1, so we can make a play on that if we wanted..."

I really like that name. signing onto that

message 25: by Sally906 (last edited Sep 01, 2018 11:40PM) (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments I like Caption Cooks as well by the way

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Sally906 wrote: "We were there two weeks ago - spent a night at Roma on the way back.

We want seasons - originally from Newcastle NSW we’ve been in Darwin 42 years and can not tolerate 8 months of nonstop humidit..."

My brother lives near Maitland :) Anyway, Toowoomba's got a lot to offer so I hope you love it there! And its so close to all the great stuff, like the big city and the beaches...

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Please go ahead and pick a name without Raine :)

message 28: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Hey team - I can't believe it's Wednesday already!!! We had the holiday here in US on Monday which always messes me up for the whole week.

Looks like for now we may be down a player :-( Hopefully Raine is okay. I'm going to check to see if Jane PM'ed her of if I should.

I've requested our name to be The Caption Cooks! So I think we're ready to go!

Great planning on your part, Sally, with going ahead and assigning your books for each category. I usually look to make sure there's something on the lists but never pre-picked books for the other tasks. I think it's because I'm afraid I'll need the book for other challenges before the category is called. But I may give it a try this go round ;-)

message 29: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments LaurLa wrote: "Hey team - I can't believe it's Wednesday already!!! We had the holiday here in US on Monday which always messes me up for the whole week.

Looks like for now we may be down a player :-( Hopefully..."

Hope Raine is ok?

Caption cooks it is and I’m ready to go. All my books for this challenge are in my monthly challenge folder and in my notebook with page numbers and what list etc. Don’t think I’ll need a pass on any theme unless something unexpected happens.

message 30: by Raine (last edited Sep 05, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Raine (raine_renner) | 358 comments Hi! Sorry I'm late. I actually looked into the group right after the groups were assigned, but didn't want to jump the gun in case LaurLa didn't reserve enough slots. But I'm here and Caption Cooks sounds like a great name :-)

I'm friends with everyone except for Rachel & Sally906. I've sent friend requests.

message 31: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Yay!!! Welcome Raine! Glad you are here :-)

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Yay!! You have a full team!

message 33: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Sorry for random question but if the theme is posted earlier do we still only have a week to read the book or do we still get until next Friday?

message 34: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Week number = 1
Book cover / link Hide Your Heart Hide Your Heart (Bounty Bay, #1) by Tracey Alvarez
Pages = 282
How the book qualifies = theme number 11 - book is number 114 (at time of posting) on the Best romance with a single parentlist link below
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 35: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments we're Caption Cooks - yay

Didn't say at the time but the team name is SO close to Captain Cook - who is credited with discovering Australia (or invading if you're a member of the First Nation) - of course the Dutch were here first, and the spanish were around - and many of the Asian countries knew about and trading with Australian tribes - BUT despite all that - Captain Cook 'discovered' us :)

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21342 comments Hazel wrote: "Sorry for random question but if the theme is posted earlier do we still only have a week to read the book or do we still get until next Friday?"

You have until the next theme is called, which now reverts to Fridays 6PM EST US. So you have 9 days for this call, then back to 7 days for each call thereafter.

message 37: by Sally906 (last edited Sep 05, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Hazel wrote: "Week number = 1
Book cover / link Hide Your HeartHide Your Heart (Bounty Bay, #1) by Tracey Alvarez
Pages = 282
How the book qualifies = theme number 11 - book is number 114 (at time of posting) ..."

Has it been called? ooooooh - were do I find it - oh ok (read the instruction Sally) - Rule 10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Announcement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

message 38: by Sally906 (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments Week 1 - Theme 11 - Option 1

Book: The Darkest Sunrise (The Darkest Sunrise, #1) by Aly Martinez The Darkest Sunrise by Aly Martinez
Page numbers: 266
How the book qualifies - From the list best romance with a single parent - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... - #223

message 39: by Amanda A (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Amanda A | 769 comments Week 1 Selection Post

Falling for Jillian
384 pages
How the book qualifies - #70 on Best romance with a single parent list

message 40: by Raine (last edited Sep 05, 2018 05:12PM) (new)

Raine (raine_renner) | 358 comments Week #1
Option 2

Book: Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1) by Rachel Van Dyken by Rachel Van Dyken
Page numbers: 296
Team member: Hazel
Rating: 5 stars
Date: August 13, 2018

message 41: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Sally906 wrote: "Hazel wrote: "Week number = 1
Book cover / link Hide Your HeartHide Your Heart (Bounty Bay, #1) by Tracey Alvarez
Pages = 282
How the book qualifies = theme number 11 - book is number 114 (at tim..."

I will post it here each week, Sally. Jane's early caught me at work and then the nail salon. Sorry I missed getting here for you all.

message 42: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Week 1
Link to post (so you can click the list links): https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:

Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

Please ensure you follow the format shown in msg 3 of your team threads. when you post your selection and completion posts.

message 43: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Week 1 - Selection Post -- Option 2
Call: 11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward
Book: Lover Eternal - J.R. Ward
How it fits: series sub for Lover Revealed - Raine - 07.02.18 - 5 stars
Pages: 468

message 44: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments LaurLa wrote: "Week 1 - Selection Post -- Option 2
Call: 11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward
Book: [book:Lover Eternal|35..."

Sorry for jumping in Laurla. I saw Jane say she was going to post so I waited up to post my selection then went to bed. 5 hours sleep and up again. Going to be a long day!

message 45: by Rachel (last edited Sep 06, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Rachel | 161 comments Week #1 selection

Nethergate by Norah Lofts

Title:Nethergate By Nora Loft
Pages # 278
How does it fit : One of the MC is an oprhan

message 46: by Hazel (last edited Sep 19, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Week # 1 complete
Book cover: Hide Your Heart (Bounty Bay, #1) by Tracey Alvarez
Read: 8th September 2018
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️ 3 Stars
Review: My first book by Tracey Alvarez. Alexandra ‘Sexy Lexy’ Knight has escaped her abusive husband and returned to her quiet hometown. Using her middle name (Lauren) she creates a new life for herself avoiding the limelight of her past and hiding from herself. Nate Fraser appears in her life and manages to bring her out of her shell and gain her trust. He questions whether a family and a sleepy town is right for him. Lauren and her son chip away at his walls. A sweet romance with a HEA. Usually like a bit more heat in my romance which is why I have given 3 stars.

message 47: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 769 comments Week 1 Completion

Falling for Jillian (Love Under the Big Sky, #3) by Kristen Proby
Date Read: 9/7
Rating: ★★★★

Zach and Jillian's story was sweet as they reconnected after a one night stand six months ago. Both have been burned by previous marriages and Zach is a single dad to Seth so there is a lot of baggage to overcome. The couples from previous books in the series are either friends or relatives so they interfere and have their say as well. Seth was a great kid who had to deal with a lot and I loved how they included him and became a family in the end. This book was a perfect ending to the series. I have enjoyed all of Kristen Proby's books in various series so far and look forward to reading more.

message 48: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 696 comments When does week 1 end?

message 49: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Sally906 wrote: "When does week 1 end?"

Calls are made on Fridays - so technically next Friday. However, it doesn't hold us back if you don't finish by the time Jane makes the call. You just can't get more than 2 books behind.

message 50: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Hazel wrote: "Sorry for jumping in Laurla. I saw Jane say she was going to post so I waited up to post my selection then went to bed. 5 hours sleep and up again. Going to be a long day!"

No need to be sorry! I'm glad you saw it and got it up!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6