The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2018 September Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 907 comments Mod
Hello all,

September 17 is Constitution Day. So, your challenge for September is to read something related to the founding of our nation. You could read the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, or any non-fiction book about early America. I really like 1776 by David McCullough Historical Fiction is great too! I'm partial to My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes.

message 3: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

Carolyn | 124 comments Debbie's pick inspired my choice. I pulled When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots by Lynne Cheney off the shelf and read it. Since it's only the first of the month, we'll have to see what other related books come up in my reading.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Carolyn wrote: "Debbie's pick inspired my choice. I pulled When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots by Lynne Cheney off the shelf and read it. Since it's only the f..."

Ooh! That looks good. I may have to read it, too!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 56 comments I am not participating in this challenge sorry I have a hard time reading these time of history type of things . besides I couldn't find anything that was going to be easy enough for me to read.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 203 comments Lisa wrote: "I am not participating in this challenge sorry I have a hard time reading these time of history type of things . besides I couldn't find anything that was going to be easy enough for me to read."

I know how you feel. You can always find a short children's book. Some of them take about 15-20 Min.

message 8: by Greg (last edited Sep 05, 2018 05:47PM) (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 214 comments I'll do John Adams by David McCullough. I've already read 1776. It's funny, JA is currently 4th down on my read list, anyway, and I'd have gotten to it this month without the challenge.

7th on my list is The Making of America by Cleone Skousen. I'll probably do that one, as well.

11th on my list is The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart by Bill Bishop. I don't have any doubt that I'll get there. But that's more about the unfounding of America, in modern times. Still, related.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Lisa wrote: "I am not participating in this challenge sorry I have a hard time reading these time of history type of things . besides I couldn't find anything that was going to be easy enough for me to read."

Lisa, the books both Carolyn and I have chosen are children's books. Both are under 50 pages. If you'd like, you can go to your local branch and ask the librarian to help you find a picture book of fiction about the Revolutionary War times.

Most of the challenge reading I do here is with children's books and most often with picture books. It's a fun way to join the challenges when either the topic or timing due other commitments (usually my reason) prevent you from reading an adult book.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (oneday_atbookland) | 13 comments I read the Constitution and Declaration of Independence this week for a class so I'll count that. I actually got to see the Constitution and Declaration earlier this summer in DC and that was such a cool experience. Reading about it and learning the history is fun but seeing it in person is even better.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Sarah, what a great experience! There is something cool about going to the National Archives Building. I love the Smithsonian museums.

Greg, I love that you have so many already on your list that you're going to read. That's pretty awesome.

Linda & Debbie, I love kids books. Those are pretty good ones. The two I recommended at the top are teen fiction. and super fun.

Lisa, it's totally cool to opt out of challenges that you're not in the mood for. This is supposed to be fun.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

We're a third of the way through the month. Anyone need any suggestions? Anyone else finished yet?

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 214 comments Elizabeth wrote: "We're a third of the way through the month. Anyone need any suggestions? Anyone else finished yet?"

I've begun John Adams. It's a rather long book, so it will take me a couple days.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Greg wrote: "I've begun John Adams. It's a rather long book, so it will take me a couple days."

Bwahahahahaha! When I read it I took a couple of ... months. It's really good, though.

message 15: by Debbie (last edited Sep 11, 2018 08:31AM) (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments A friend posted this in another group and it applies to our challenge so I'm copying it here. From Elilzabeth S:
My current (slow) ebook read is This Is Our Constitution: Discover America with a Gold Star Father by Khizr Khan. The author is the Gold Star parent who spoke at the DNC in 2016. He was born in Pakistan, and later came to the US and is now a citizen. He is passionate about the Constitution, especially because he can compare the freedoms it grants with his early life in Pakistan. He is a lawyer as well, so he does a great job explaining legal applications.

The book is officially for young adult, so it is an easy read. But there is still a LOT that I am learning. I highly recommend.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments For this challenge I have read We the People: The Story of Our Constitution and When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots both by Lynne Cheney. Both were excellent and I learned things from each that I did not know.

message 17: by Audrey (last edited Sep 15, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 440 comments Debbie wrote: “A friend posted this in another group and it applies to our challenge so I’m copying it here. From Elilzabeth S:
My current (slow) ebook read is This Is Our Constitution: Discover America wit…”
</i>

That sounds really good! A year or two ago I read [book:The Naked Constitution: What the Founders Said and Why It Still Matters
, and that was excellent.

message 18: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 133 comments I finished The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels this week. It was a great read.

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 214 comments Finished John Adams, finally! Long book. Very good.

It took me 11 days. I might have finished it faster if I didn't read 6 other books during the same time...

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Greg wrote: "Finished John Adams, finally! Long book. Very good.

It took me 11 days. I might have finished it faster if I didn't read 6 other books during the same time..."

Now you're just bragging! (grinnnn)

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 214 comments Debbie wrote: "Greg wrote: "Finished John Adams, finally! Long book. Very good.

It took me 11 days. I might have finished it faster if I didn't read 6 other books during the same time..."

Now you're just bragg..."

Totally. Unabashedly. But I really should try to focus on one thing at a time.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Wow you guys! I love how many people have finished this challenge. Keep it up!

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Greg wrote: "I really should try to focus on one thing at a time. "

I tell myself that, too, and just can't seem to manage it!

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

One week left!

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Greg is our prize drawing winner for September 2018's reading challenge. He read John Adams by David McCullough.

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1066 comments Congrats, Greg!