Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Overflowing Bookshelf Mini-Goals Challenge - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Sep 05, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
Our Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge for September 2018

To-do: Reserve a comment for your tracking list, then fill it with the titles you'd like to read this month from your physical (or digital) TBR. :)

If you'd like a link to the guidelines for this mini challenge, click here.

Good luck, everyone! :)

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Sep 27, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

message 3: by Virginie (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Spot! Updated with the full list! I'm completely ignoring the fact that this is the overflowing bookshelf challenge and mixing owned titles, library titles and titles borrowed from friends. 😅

Buddy Reads
Bloody Rose
The Time of Contempt
Wuthering Heights

Bookburners episodes
Present Infinity
The Village
One With The World
Shock and Awe
Coming Home
The End of the Day

Kate Daniels read-through
Prequel to Magic Shifts
Magic Shifts
Magic Stars
Magic Binds

Solo Reads
Half a War
Throne of Jade
Dead Beat
Dreamer
Kings Rising
Proven Guilty
The Inheritance

Completed: 20/20

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3910 comments Spot. Need to figure out my schedule now, then will update.

message 5: by Anni (last edited Sep 23, 2018 01:45PM) (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Left-overs from last month:

1.) Furies of Calderon (BR) 3.5 🌟
2.) Calamity (BR) 3.75 🌟
3.) No Time Like the Past (BR)

Physical books:

4.) Shadow and Bone (BR) 3.75 🌟
5.) The Magic Misfits 3.5 🌟
6.) Eliza and Her Monsters 2.5 🌟

+maybe: Fire

Audiobooks:

7.) The Name of the Wind 5 🌟
8.) The Wise Man's Fear Part 1 (BR) 4.5 🌟
9.) The Wise Man's Fear Part 2 (BR)

+ Bookburners- Episodes:

EP 7 Fire and Ice 4.5 🌟
EP8 Present Infinity 3 🌟
EP9 The Village 3.5 🌟
EP10 One With The World 2.5 🌟
EP11 Shock and Awe

+ maybe:
EP12 Coming Home
EP13 The End of the Day

message 6: by Bill (last edited Sep 30, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Bill | 2150 comments This mini challenge really helped keep me focused last month. Going for 10 again.

1. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
2. The Tangled Lands
3. The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
4. Stone of Farewell
5. Brown Girl in the Ring

6. The Changeling
7. To Green Angel Tower
8. Dragons of Spring Dawning
9. Magic Triumphs
10. Bloody Rose

Edit: just bought two books so threw them right on my list.

message 7: by Hailee (last edited Sep 25, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments September TBR!!!

1. Ruin (currently reading)
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
3. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
4. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue 🌟🌟🌟🌟
5. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (currently reading)
6. Academ's Fury (currently reading)
7. Stalking Jack the Ripper

Completed: 2/7

I have only put seven books on my list this time as a lot of them are quite long and I am really pushing my luck to be able to read all this as it is.

message 8: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Sep 03, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Spot! 😁

1. The Lies of Locke Lamora (currently reading)
2. The Champion (currently reading)
3. Ruin
4. Cibola Burn
5. The Death of Kings
6. Wuthering Heights(maybe?)

message 9: by Elinor (last edited Sep 26, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

message 10: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Wow Elinor that is an ambitious TBR. Good luck with it!

message 11: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Hailee wrote: "Wow Elinor that is an ambitious TBR. Good luck with it!"

Thanks ! Yes it's quite ambitious but there are a lot of short things in it, and a few books already started, so I think I should be able to do it :)

message 12: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Updated my list! :) Actually I plan to read even more books than last month (where I failed...), but most of them are rather short, so I'm quite optimistic.

message 13: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments @Elinor and Hailee
Oh you both plan to finish Academ's Fury this month? I thought because we starting it end of the month I will rather finish it in October 😅

message 14: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I indeed just realized that we were starting Academ's Fury at the end of the month... hum...

message 15: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Spot! 😁

1. The Lies of Locke Lamora (currently reading)
2. The Champion (currently reading)
3. Ruin
4. Cibola Burn
5. [book:The Death of..."

Nice list! :) How do you like Locke Lamora so far?

message 16: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Nice list! :) How do you like Locke Lamora so far?..."

I love it but it's going very slooooowly 😕 I think it's life getting in the way mostly...

message 17: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Updated my list! Thanks for the links, Anni :D

message 18: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Empress Virginie wrote: "Updated my list! Thanks for the links, Anni :D"

My pleasure, milady ;)

message 19: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Nice list! :) How do you like Locke Lamora so far?..."

I love it but it's going very slooooowly 😕 I think it's life getting in the way mostly..."

Might be the book too, it also took me so damn long to finish, through I loved it! :)

message 20: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Sir Anni wrote: "@Elinor and Hailee
Oh you both plan to finish Academ's Fury this month? I thought because we starting it end of the month I will rather finish it in October 😅"

I hadn't thought it too much actually. Because I knew was starting it this month it was instinct to put it on this list. It is possible I won't finish it in 10 days, although I did finish book 1 in less than a week. I suppose it depends what state my TBR is in closer to the time lol

message 21: by Bill (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I just updated my list again. I added in the last two Memory, Sorrow and Thorn books and removed 4 of the standalones to bring me back down to 10. Might end up not doing any of the standalones though because To Green Angel Tower is an insane 63 hour long audiobook.

Good luck with that list Elinor.

message 22: by Zaara (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments For September I will be happy if I can finish:

1. Words of Radiance (1300 pages)
2. The Crown Tower
3. Deathless
4. Wuthering Heights
5. DOSAB 3 Dreams of Gods and Monsters
6. Night of Cake & Puppets

Still reading:
7. Folded Knife
8. Anna Karenina (over 1000 pages left)

Will also attempt the BRs for
9. The Duchess Deal
10. Romancing the Duke
Since I don't own these last two yet...they can't count in the OVERFLOWING BOOKSHELF challenge.

Also I am down to 8 books from ten but two of those are over 1k pages...don't know if I will lose much pointswise...
I remembered DOS&B....😂😂😂
All are BRs.

message 23: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments @Sir Anni, have you read the rest of the Gentlemen Bastards series?

message 24: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Bill wrote: " Might end up not doing any of the standalones though because To Green Angel Tower is an insane 63 hour long audiobook."

But it's worth it! :) I only finished it last week and I love the writing style, it's a little slow but the characters are very vivid and reminded me of Hobb's books. I hope you like it as well!

message 25: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "@Elinor and Hailee
Oh you both plan to finish Academ's Fury this month? I thought because we starting it end of the month I will rather finish it in October 😅"

I had..."

We could set a schedule still ;)

message 26: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Zaara wrote: "For September I will be happy if I can finish:

1. Words of Radiance (1300 pages)
2. The Crown Tower
3. Deathless
4. Wuthering Heights
5. DOSAB 3 Dreams of Gods and Monsters
6. Night of Cake & Pupp..."

Good luck with that! With all the doorstoppers it look even scarier than Elinor's list!

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments @Sir Anni. Thanks. I really liked the first book when I read it years ago but never continued for some reason. Going to try to get all 3 in this month.

message 28: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "@Sir Anni, have you read the rest of the Gentlemen Bastards series?"

Yes! :) Otherwise I would've loved to join you. But there's still book 4 (if it get published someday...)

message 29: by Hailee (last edited Sep 05, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Sir Anni wrote: "We could set a schedule still ;) "

I forgot about the schedule idea! I'm happy to read it on a schedule if you don't mind having one that finishes before the Traitor's Blade schedule begins on the 8th October? I don't want too many scheduled read going at once as I don't know what days I'll want to binge read ;-)

message 30: by Hailee (last edited Sep 05, 2018 09:19AM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Anni, I just had a thought. If you don't want to read it quite as quickly as 18 days we could come up with a "commenting schedule" as an alternative.

We could agree that each of us will comment on our thoughts every 2 or 3 chapters. We'd label each comment with the chapters we are talking about as we usually would with the comments hidden in spoilers for other people to read and comment on as they reach that point.

That way it doesn't matter if people are reading in slightly different paces but we are still commenting frequently to increase discussion. Just an idea in case you would prefer it...

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Thanks, Hailee, for keeping it on everyone's radar :)

message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I just set my challenge. I only have ambition for six titles this month (two are carry-over). There are just too many new releases I'm eager to read lol.

message 33: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments @ Sir Anni : I WANT A SCHEDULE. (I can try to do it if you want :))

@ Bill : thanks ! a lot of them are short reads so I should be able to do it... perhaps ^^

message 34: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Elinor wrote: "@ Sir Anni : I WANT A SCHEDULE. (I can try to do it if you want :))

@ Bill : thanks ! a lot of them are short reads so I should be able to do it... perhaps ^^"

Go for it then! :) Because I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it into 18 days, especially not this month... Sorry Hailee, but if you like to leave spoilers for us, that would be great too :)

message 35: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments What if I try and do 2 schedules, one finishing for Traitor's blade, the other taking more time ? (is there such a thing as too many schedules ? ^^)

message 36: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments But if there're only the three of us interested in a scheduled read (I asked before, but only Hailee respoded to it 😅) then one of us will follow one of your schedules alone, because you can't follow both :D Or maybe I'm too tired to understand your idea...

message 37: by Hailee (last edited Sep 05, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Elinor wrote: "@ Sir Anni : I WANT A SCHEDULE. (I can try to do it if you want :))

@ Bill : thanks ! a lot of them are short reads so I should be able to do it... perhaps ^^"

Go for it then! :) B..."

No problem Anni. I can certainly empathise with having a full reading schedule. I try to finish books in the month that I start them anyway, so that it makes a good wrap up for my bookstagram account. I'm a bit OCD on that score. I'm going to have to come up with a new system because I am wasting days at the end of the month by not starting a book if I know I won't finish it so that it doesn't mess up my Instagram :-(.

I'll check out the schedule Elinor creates so my comments match up to the same chapter breaks you guys will be following.

message 38: by Siobhan (last edited Oct 05, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments This month I want to read:

1. Words of Radiance BR
2. The Waking Fire BR
3. The Crown Tower BR (missed!)
4. Half Bad BR
5. Shadow and Bone BR
6. A Danger to Herself and Others ARC
7. The Rule of One Kindle First

Completed: 5/7

message 39: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "This month I want to read:

1. Words of Radiance
2. The Waking Fire
3. The Crown Tower
4. Half Bad
5. Shadow and Bone..."

Amazing List ♥

message 40: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Niki's spot ;P

1. Gardens of the Moon
2. Wrath of the Dragon King
3. The Blade Itself
4. Deadhouse Gates
5. [book:Eye of the Labyrinth|55443..."

Nice list! Brave to have two Malazan books on it in the same month!!

message 41: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Hailee wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Niki's spot ;P

1. Gardens of the Moon
2. Wrath of the Dragon King
3. The Blade Itself
4. Deadhouse Gates
5. [book:Eye of..."

Oh wow, that's indeed very ambitious Niki! Good luck! :)

message 42: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Good luck everyone with your very ambitious lists!! :)

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I’ve only read 2/10 halfway through the month. Going have to focus more on this list in the second half.

message 44: by Virginie (last edited Sep 16, 2018 01:43AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm at 12/18 woohoo! But I'm now getting to the difficult part, since one of the reads left is Words of Radiance (1300 pages in my edition!)

message 45: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments Wow Virginie, that's amazing progress! But yeah you've left the hard one til last XD

I'm only on 1/7, but I'm currently reading 3 of them! And one is also Words of Radiance!

message 46: by Hailee (last edited Sep 16, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Empress Virginie wrote: "I'm at 12/18 woohoo! But I'm now getting to the difficult part, since one of the reads left is Words of Radiance (1300 pages in my edition!)"

That is impreesive Virginie well done. Good luck with Words of Radiance, that'll keep you busy for the rest of September ;-)

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Amazing Virginie. I feel you on WoR one of my remaining books is a 63 hour audiobook.

message 48: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm still working on The Blade itself towards my first read of 6 planned this month (and have been since the first lol). Granted I've been super busy, but I'm now thinking that if I finish at least two of my planned owned books this month, I'll be doing well.

message 49: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments I haven't read as much as I had planned to either Niki, although I think mine is more to do with the fact I have had two really good reading months on the trot and I'm a little burned out. I don't mind too much though, sometimes reading just a little in a month can help you prepare for reading more next month. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.

I've completed two books and if I finish The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Stalking Jack the Ripper this month I'll be happy. I'll just carry over my others to next month when hopefully I'll be over my burn out.

message 50: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm glad I'm not alone. :) and I think you're right - I think I followed a schedule too much and got through so many last month that my brain just needed a casual approach for a while lol. I've missed so many Buddy reads this month. 🙈

Hopefully I'll start getting back into the groove soon lol. If I were smart, I'd use this time to catch up on reviews (eh... probably not going to happen haha)

« previous 1