The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SS Archives♦ > Round 10: SS How to Play, Help & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5934 comments Mod
SS

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Board

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Oct 14, 2018 06:21AM) (new)

ROUND 10: SUPER SERIES CHALLENGE

✸This is a team challenge that requires 1 book a week . The object of the game is to roll the dice and move along the board. To win a team must roll past 100. Teams will roll on Fridays.

✸ R10 Super Series Sign Ups are open 08/31 through 09/09. Then teams will be formed and the game will officially start on 09/14.

✸Teams will roll the dice by clicking here on Fridays once their team has completed their reads. Please note you will be using two dice for each roll.

Holiday Scheduling:
✸Thanksgiving: Teams will roll the Friday before (11/16). No roll on 11/23. Reviews are due and the next roll will be on 11/30, at which point the game resumes its normal schedule.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
A team can NOT advance if all reviews are not in by the deadline. That being said, players should have their reviews in on Thursday. Your team captain cannot roll until ALL of the team reviews have been posted.

❖If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

HOW TO PICK A BOOK:
✸ Books are based on the spot you're on, not the roll of the die.
If you land on single digit spot for example let's say you land on spot 5 then you have to read a book that's #5 in a series. For double digit numbers, for example you land on spot 48 you can read either a #4 or a #8 in a series.
✸Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0
✸First in a series can be used for a 1

✸I don't expect anyone to read a series out of order and for people that don't read series books that still want to play there will be an alternate option. There will be an alternate option for each spot.
✸Half books: ½ or .5 count only if they meet the page requirement AND will be judged by preceding whole number numeral on Goodreads.
Example: Spot 8: A MacKenzie Clan Gathering (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8.5) would count for spot 8 because it meets the page limit.
✸ Books in multiple series can be used for ANY of the series. An example: Azagoth (1001 Dark Nights, #6; Lords of Deliverance, #5.5; Demonica, #10.5) can be used for spot 6 for 1001 Dark Nights, spot 5 for LoD or spot 10 for Demonica because it meets the page limit.

✸There will be a separate thread for captains to post their place on the board after rolling and a link to the team's completed reviews.

FREE PASS
✸Teams will have a chance to earn 1 Free Pass to roll. To earn your free pass your team has to complete their reads a day before the next roll. Once your team has done this you will have 1 free pass. The free pass will allow a team to roll if they are missing a review(s) before the cutoff. Once you've used it, you can't earn another one. It's a one-time shot. NOTE:
✸The free pass may not be used for the win.
✸ If the player whose review the free pass is covering for has already previously missed a deadline, they must submit the missing review within one day after the deadline if they wish to retain their place on the team.

BONUS POINTS:

✸ One point can be earned for reading three or more books in a series.
✸ One point can be earned for reading a book with >500 pages.
✸ One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be at least 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling ≥4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9. For still ongoing series, all books published to date (OR up to #9 in longer series) must be read.~ No re-reads on this one.
✸ One point can be earned for never picking a book from the alternate lists. This point is awarded when your team rolls past 90.
✸ Halloween Bonus: One point can be earned for reading a Horror/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy book for the roll on 10/26.
NOTE:
✸Each point can only be earned once per team.
✸The series-specific bonus points (3 or more books/ starting and finishing a series) must be two different series.
✸Single book bonuses (>500 pages/ Halloween) may overlap with a series bonus.

How to use bonus points:
✸ Bonus points can be added to your roll to move you further along the board. Each bonus point can only be earned once and spent once.
✸ Bonus points may be used for the win. Example: Your team rolls and lands on spot 97. Your team has earned 4 bonus points. You can use your bonus points to move to spot 101 and compete for the win.
✸ You don't have to use all your bonus points at the same time.
✸ You can also use your bonus points earlier in the game. Example: Your team has earned 3 bonus points. Your team rolls and lands on spot 88. A team member doesn't have a book that is either #8 in a series or fits the alternate. They do however have a #9. Your team may decide to use 1 bonus point to move to spot 89 and have 2 bonus points remaining for later use.

✸Re-reads are allowed ( ~EXCEPT on Winning Spots, no re-reads to win)
✸Page limit is 140
✸When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means ½. But you must review each story in the anthology.
✸Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.
✸Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone

✸✸✸ Any questions please feel free to ask!

Round 10 SS Sign Ups

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 21, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**Titles exclude leading articles like A, An, The

2. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
3. Author O
4. Cover: White
5. Romance
6. Published 2013
7. Three Word Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone)
8. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
9. Title T
10. Book that one of your teammates read shelf rated a 5-star
11. Multi-Colored (3 or More Colors)
12. Title L
13. Cover Item: Plant
14. South America
15. Cover: Brown
16. Fantasy
17. Author H
18. Cover Item: Food/Drink
19. Character has a pet
20. Published 2012
21. Title K
22. Male Author
23. Two Word Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. Deadly Silence or The Hunger Games)
24. Cover: Orange
25. Published between 2001 and 2011
26. Author S
27. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
28. Cover: Blue
29. New to you author
30. Non-Fiction
31. Asia
32. Published between 1950 and 2000
33. Cover Item: One person
34. GR average rating <3.6
35. Cover: Red
36. Title G
37. Character has at least one child
38. Historical
39. One Word Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. The Witness or Divergent)
40. Young Adult/New Adult
41. Cover: Purple
42. School/College/University
43. Title V
44. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
45. Originally published in a language other than English
46. Four or more Words Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
47. Author I
48. Africa
49. Cover: Grey/Silver
50. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
51. Published 2014
52. Title E
53. Cover: Green
54. Sci-Fi
55. Published 2015
56. Cover Item: Furniture
57. Australia
58. Author W
59. Published before 1950
60. Cover: Yellow/Gold
61. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
62. Book to Movie (must state how book qualifies i.e. listopia or precis)
63. Title N
64. Cover Item: Instrument
65. Set in a place you've visited
66. Cover Item: Two or more people
67. Published 2016
68. Author R
69. Award winner (must state which/when)
70. Cover Item: Hat
71. GR average rating >4.0
72. Female Author
73. North America
74. Author A
75. Cover: Pink
76. Published 2017
77. Title C
78. Cover Item: Water
79. LGBTQ+
80. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
81. Favorite Author
82. Title J
83. Number in the Title (i.e. Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
84. Cover Item: Book
85. Author D
86. Mystery/Thriller
87. Cover Item: Dress
88. Europe
89. Cover Item: Weapon
90. Published 2018
91. Title F
92. Cover: Black
93. Book that one of your teammates read shelf rated a 5-star
94. Author M
95. Cover Item: Animal
96. Several authors
97. Cover Item: Jewellery
98. Title B
99. Debut Novel or Debut Author
100. Author P
101. Cover Item: Building
102. Cover: Green
103. Author N
104. Published 2013
105. Title R
106. Romance
107. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
108. Author G
109. Two Word Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. Deadly Silence or The Hunger Games)
110. Cover: Blue
111. Title I

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Aug 30, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

★ You can use any edition of the book you read.
★ Books must be started after your team has rolled.
★ Review posts MUST include the following: Book title, author, cover, how it qualifies for the spot you're on, date finished, rating, review (min. 3 sentences)
★ Publication years, any edition so long as it is published in the given year.
★ Covers must be at least 50%
★ Cover Item, must have the given item on the cover.
★ Locations as long as the book takes part in the given location at some point in the book.
★ Author letters, first, middle, or last name must start with the given letter.
★ Title letters, must be the first word in the title excluding the lead ARTICLE (The, A, An...)

FOR THOSE PLAYING BOTH
★YES, you can use the same book in both challenges.

EXAMPLE OF AN ACCEPTABLE POST

Week 2
Spot: 13
Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet
Book:
Hell & High Water by Charlie Cochet
Qualification: THIRDS #1
Finished: 11 Jun 2017
Rating: ★★★★

Review:
Testifying against his partner and getting him locked up for murder leaves Detective Dex Daley deserted by his friends and colleagues as well as his boyfriend, a repeat target of violence, and on his way out of the job at the Human Police Force he loves. Instead of fired, however, he is recruited to join the elite Therian-Human Intelligence Recon Defense Squadron (THIRDS), working side by side with shapeshifters as a Defense Agent. Tossed right into the middle of a murder investigation, Dex has to get accustomed to his new situation quickly - and the fact that his new team is still reeling from the loss of one of their own and not at all happy to integrate his replacement really doesn't help. Neither does the fact that Dex's new teamleader may be a jerk, but he's a very attractive one.

These books have been on my TBR for ages, and I'm glad to finally get around to reading them. It took me a while to get into the story, familiarise myself with the universe (I'm really, really not a fan of "let me explain the entirety of my worldbuilding to you textbook-style" prologues, so I was immediately a little dubious about the whole thing), get to know the characters and pick up the terminology, but after a few chapters I was thoroughly hooked. Looking forward to continuing this series.

When using the alternate that involves cover items, colors, or publications years, please be sure to link the correct edition to show how the book qualifies.

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

reserved

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 338 comments Can we sign up several people who want to be together on a team?

message 8: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Teams are assigned at random. The number of teams and number of players per team will depend on how many sign up.

message 9: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I have some series with 20 books in them. If I read book 20 could I use it for spot 20?

message 10: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yes! Double digit # books will work for that precise spot.

message 11: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Great. Thanks. I have a 20 book series and one that fits spot one or 30

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Question re genres
"romance" or "historical fiction"

Do the genres have to be on the book's main page? Or do they have to have a minimum # of people that shelved it that way?

message 13: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

I'd prefer it if the genre is listed on the main page or apparent from the blurb. Picking a minimum number of people who've shelved it as such is kinda arbitrary and might exclude very new or little known books simply by virtue of them not having been shelved by anyone as anything beyond read/reading/to read at all... let's keep it very simple and say, if anyone other than yourself has shelved it as the genre in question, I'll accept it.

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Denise wrote: "I'd prefer it if the genre is listed on the main page or apparent from the blurb. Picking a minimum number of people who've shelved it as such is kinda arbitrary and might exclude very new or littl..."

Thanks, Denise ... that DOES make it simple and easy to monitor!

message 15: by Alia (new)

Alia | 50 comments Are comics okay? I read trades a lot that meet the minimum page requirement.

message 16: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 09, 2018 10:24PM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Are comics okay? I read trades a lot that meet the minimum page requirement."

Excellent question. I'm digging through the archives to see if we had a precedent for that in a previous round ( I think it came up before, but I can't remember exactly). I'll get back to you later today, okay?

message 17: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

A similar question came up last round. I'll stick with Ezi's ruling on that one and say no on comics.

message 18: by Alia (new)

Alia | 50 comments Okay, thanks for answering.

message 19: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff What if one of the series has both a publication Date and a chronological order which number should I use?

message 20: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Basically, however GR has it listed counts. Random example: Transfer of Power is #1 in its series by publication order, #3 by chronological order. GR is going by chronological order here and has it listed as #3, so that's the number you'd use in this case.

message 21: by Alia (new)

Alia | 50 comments I have a lot of Agatha Christie. If I’m reading just the Ms. Marpple ones can that counts as a series? I don’t know if they technically are or not.

message 22: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Anything GR lists as a series is fair game. You're good with Miss Marple.

message 24: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Then you can use either, just specify in your review post which one applies. :)

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 610 comments Is this where we post our team name and captain?

message 26: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 11, 2018 10:01PM) (new)

Yep! :) I'll update your thread with the new information once you let me know here.

message 27: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Teams that still have players missing, now might be the time to start sending out pms if you haven't already. I do have a couple of back-up players available in case they haven't turned up by Friday.

message 28: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 502 comments Question about the new bonus points (so fun btw).

One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be more than 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling >4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9.~ No re-reads on this one.

Can books be read for the series as alternates? For example, if book #1 is read because it has a white cover, then book #2 is read for spot 12 and book #3 has a pet, etc. Or do they all have to be read as series numbers? Does this question make sense?

message 29: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

I'll go with yes on that one. As long as they're read as part of the challenge, they can count towards the bonus point.
(You can also read them out of order, if you don't mind that sort of thing or are reading a series where it doesn't really matter.)

message 30: by Sam (last edited Sep 12, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Sam | 610 comments Team 2 is going to be Double the Pleasure ~ Double the Fun and I'm going to be captain. Thanks.

message 31: by Suman (new)

Suman | 204 comments I am a bit confused about one point, to a earn a bonus point the series must have more than 4 books i.e. atleast 5 books ? Then for another bonus if a series has >9 books ie atleast 10 books and one may read 1-9. Is it 5 and 10 or 4 and 9 ? I know it's a dull question but 4 -> 5 is eliminating lots of series, so a clarification would be helpful.

message 32: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 12, 2018 10:16PM) (new)

Ok, let me see if I can clear that up a bit.
First of all, this is the SAME bonus point (starting and finishing a series) we're talking about. What it should say as the requirement for that bonus point is ≥4 books, so you'd need to read an entire series with a minimum of 4 books. Unfortunately yours truly wasn't paying sufficient attention, so that came out confusing. I'll go fix it in the rules. ;)
The >9 books part is a caveat to that "starting and finishing a series" thing that kicks in if you choose to start a long series that goes into double digits. Since double digit numbers are a lot harder to fit into the challenge than single digit numbers, you can in that case get the "starting and finishing a series" bonus point for finishing all the single digit books in the series.

Does that make more sense?
(If it doesn't, blame the fact that I just got up and haven't had any coffee yet. Let me know if further clarification is needed, I'll try to rephrase once my brain is functioning.)

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1280 comments Team 6 would like to be known as "Literary Alliance"

message 34: by Suman (new)

Suman | 204 comments Denise, it makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

message 35: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Please let me know if any team still has a player missing. Thank you!

message 36: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1953 comments Is there a particular time on Friday that we roll the dice or is it any time after 12:01 am?

message 37: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Any time after 12:01am. You have the entire 24 hour period to roll. In future weeks, you can roll any time on Fridays after all members of your team have posted their reviews (which is why it's good to strive for having all reviews in by Thursday 11:59pm).

message 38: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 370 comments Denise,
Team 1 would like to be called We Serially Got This!, and if permissible, the captaincy would be split (at least for the first few weeks) between Linda and Apoorv!

message 39: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Done! Love your team name. :D

message 40: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff We’re not allowed to use books started before the challenge right

message 41: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Right. All books must be started after you've rolled.

message 42: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

Guideline for Alternate Category Cover Colour

Cover colour alternates tend to be a little tricky, since it can be very hard to tell whether something is 50% a certain colour. Here's a handy little 3-step guide for figuring out whether your chosen book qualifies.

1) Use your own judgment. If a book cover is quite clearly overwhelmingly the colour in question, you don't need additional verification.

Examples:
Blue: Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1) by Daniel Arenson
Grey: Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey
Yellow: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

2) When in doubt, you can use this tool TinEye Labs to check a cover. If TinEye confirms your cover is at least 50% the colour in question, go ahead and use it.
Note: You may need to uncheck "Exclude background color from extracted colors" to get a proper result.

Example:
White: Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay (50.3% white according to TinEye)

3) If it's a close call (say, 40-49.9% the right colour according to TinEye), or TinEye gives you a result you vehemently disagree with (apparently it does that sometimes, unfortunately), or you have trouble using the site/ would generally prefer a human opinion, post the book cover in question to the discussion thread and ask me. I reserve the right to overrule TinEye in cases of a close call or dodgy result.

Examples:
Grey: Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews (44.9% grey according to TinEye. I chose to overrule and let the player use it.)
Orange: Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1) by Donna Leon (41.1% orange according to TinEye. I would probably choose to overrule.)

I've added a link to this post to each team thread at the top of the alternates list.

message 43: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Team 5 would like to be called Furious 5

message 44: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Slytherpuff wrote: "Team 5 would like to be called Furious 5"

Gotcha!

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) | 1485 comments Team Nine would like to be called Nine Banded Armadillos

message 46: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 370 comments Denise, quick clarification on the bonus points (apologies if I am repeating this question!),

Do every player in the team have to complete a certain category to get that bonus point, or would just one player doing so suffice?

Point in case, should everyone in the team, read series books or can one player do so throughout the challenge, and we can still get that bonus point?

Same applies for all other bonus point categories!
Thanks! :)

message 47: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Just one player needs to fulfill the requirements for a bonus point to earn it for their team. This goes for all the bonus points. :)

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2371 comments Denise ... do you think you could "pin" this thread to the top of the folder so it's easy to find?

message 49: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Sure thing

message 50: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff For alternative 7 could I use a 4 word title if it includes the word If?

« previous 1 3