Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Challenge - General > Library Extension

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 15 comments Hey guys,

I found out about this extension and I think it is fantastic for the reading challenge. It is https://www.libraryextension.com/ and works on Chrome (and soon Firefox).

What is it? When you are at an online book store (or places like amazon) and have that extension active in your browser (shows a little stack of books next to the tool bar), it will show you if the book you are looking at is available for checkout from your local library (or libraries). It will say things like "there are six copies at xyz library (you tell it which libraries you use) two are currently available" or "your library has this book available for checkout as an ebook"

You tell it which libraries you want it to check. It can really save you a lot of time and money when you are doing the challenge.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaholla) | 175 comments International readers, take note: Some foreign libraries are supported. (Mainly those that use Overdrive/Libby.)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments That's fantastic! I will have to check it out. Thank you for posting it!

message 4: by Stacey (last edited Aug 30, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments That sounds awesome, although I think my local library is so out of date tech wise that it doesn't even have its' catalogue online! ...Good ol' small towns... xD

I'm sure that lots of people here will find it super useful though!

I am super lucky though, to have one of the best 2nd hand bookstores I've ever been in only a few minutes away from home! Also, I book swap with friends all the time which helps! =D

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1297 comments Hampshire Library (UK) is supported! However I mostly browse at work and shouldn't be installing extensions for personal use. It's a good idea though.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments That's amazing! This librarian approves. Thank you for posting about this.

Stacey, I feel your pain. I grew up in an area with a lot of very small, rural libraries usually staffed by one part-time librarian. I never used the library as a child because the closest branch was 25 minutes away by car. They're still using due date cards. I don't think everyone knows some libraries are still this far behind. Usually, they're not funded enough to pay for the people or systems to modernize.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments My first thought was , meh, I've already marked most of the books on my want to read list about whether they're available through the library or not. But really, who am I kidding: this is amazing! So much faster than my normal multiple-tabs library searching system.

message 8: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments This looks awesome. Both of my libraries are included.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 15 comments I am glad you all like it!

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 491 comments I just went through my TBR list (30 pages of it!) and tagged all the books that are available as audio or ebooks through my library system!

This is huge: often I wish I could quickly locate something for my Kindle, and I'm an audio junkie, so this will cut my spending on digital books a lot!