Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > one of first transsexual now describing herself as non- binary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Jan Morris wrote about her life in Times supplement. an early adopter trans person she now describes herself;

"I haven't gone from one sex to the other. I'm both"

is this identity progress. A success for intersectional thinking

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ja...

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Mmm, I think the article was removed. The link no longer seems to work ...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Pam wrote: "Mmm, I think the article was removed. The link no longer seems to work ..."

Indeed, I wanted to read it yesterday evening and the TAB was saying "error something".

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Thank you! :)

Edit: I cannot read the article since I cannot register :( it is said please enter a valid email address. I guess the registration process does not like french email address. Is anyone experiencing similar issue?

message 5: by Pam (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Sorry for the multiple posts: but I had a few thoughts that didn't quite connect.

Thought 1: "Her body of work, fleeting journalism and more permanent book writing explains why she will be honoured at this year’s Cheltenham Literature Festival with The Times William Howard Russell prize for excellence. A fine career indeed, but as she once quipped: “I do not doubt that when I go, the event will be commemorated with the small back-page headline ‘Sex Change Author Dies’.”

That's the rub, isn't it? History will remember her for her bodily functions and not what her soul brought to life. How tragic.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Ross wrote: "Jan Morris wrote about her life in Times supplement. an early adopter trans person she now describes herself; "I haven't gone from one sex to the other. I'm both"

is this identity progress. A su..."

Context: "She wrote Conundrum, published in 1974, about the experience. It is a remarkable book, free of angst or bile, that explains in a gentle, matter-of-fact way why she felt her body did not match her sex. It is also very generous towards people who would have found it awkward — she writes of the “kindly incomprehension of sailors and old ladies”.

It is a subject that I suspect she is heartily bored with talking about. She certainly floats high above the present, often bad-tempered debate about trans issues. “My conclusion — people think of it as a change of sex. I haven’t gone from one to the other. To my mind it means something extra. I’m both now. I’ve got to be legally one sex or the other, but I’m both. I feel that after going through the whole business of not knowing what I was, I realize what I actually am is both. It seems to me a very, very privileged position.

“It’s possible that everyone has the potential to have both genders in them. It so happens that I’ve brought it to the surface. For the moment it is messy, but I think more and more people will move to my condition. Who knows, though? It’s a conclusion I reached for myself and I don’t want to theorise about anyone else’s life.”

message 7: by Pam (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Ross wrote: "is this identity progress. A success for intersectional thinking "

Going back to the topic. I wanted to unpack your sentence. @Ross, are you asking a question or a declaring a statement?

Is this identity progress? Is this a success for intersectional thinking?

or

This is identity progress. This is success for the intersectional thinking.

message 8: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Both Pam. its an interesting perspective someone growing into a role. Or finding her true self.

I think it is progress. real change in attitude in identity.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
commenting as a way of dusting this off and bringing it out of the archives given the book we are reading this month