The Challenge Factory discussion

♦SSS Archives♦ > Round 10: SSS How to Play, Help & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5936 comments Mod
SSS

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:57AM) (new)

Board

message 3: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Aug 16, 2019 10:14AM) (new)

ROUND 10: SUPER SPEEDY SERIES CHALLENGE

✸This is a team challenge that requires 2 books a week . The object of the game is to roll the die and move along the board. To win a team must roll past 100. Teams will roll on Thursdays & Sundays.

✸ R10 Super Speedy Sign Ups are open 08/31 through 09/09. Then teams will be formed and the game will officially start on 09/13.

✸Teams will roll the die by clicking here on Sundays and Thursdays once their team has completed their reads. Please note you will have to change the dice to ONE die.

Holiday Scheduling:
✸Thanksgiving: Teams will roll the Thursday before (11/15), reviews due as usual on Sunday (11/18). No roll on Sunday (11/18) and Thursday (11/22). The next roll will be Sunday (11/25) and at this point the game resumes its normal schedule.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
A team CANNOT advance if all the reviews are not complete and in by the deadline. That being said, players should have their reviews in on Wednesday (for the Thursday roll) and on Saturday (for the Sunday roll). Your team captain cannot roll until ALL of the team reviews have been posted.

❖If a player fails to have their book done two times throughout the game (excluding a prearranged absence) they will no longer be a part of the team.

HOW TO PICK A BOOK:
✸ Books are based on the spot you're on, not the roll of the die.
If you land on single digit spot for example lets say you land on spot 5 then you have to read a book that's #5 in a series. For double digit numbers, for example you land on spot 48 you can read either a #4 or a #8 in a series.
✸Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0
✸First in a series can be used for a 1

✸I don't expect anyone to read a series out of order and for people that don't read series books that still want to play there will be an alternate option. There will be an alternate option for each spot.
✸Half books: ½ or .5 count only if they meet the page requirement AND will be judged by preceding whole number numeral on Goodreads.
Example: Spot 8: A MacKenzie Clan Gathering (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8.5) would count for spot 8 because it meets the page limit.
✸ Books in multiple series can be used for ANY of the series. An example: Azagoth (1001 Dark Nights, #6; Lords of Deliverance, #5.5; Demonica, #10.5) can be used for spot 6 for 1001 Dark Nights, spot 5 for LoD or spot 10 for Demonica because it meets the page limit.

✸There will be a separate thread for captains to post their place on the board after rolling and a separate thread for captains to post a link to the teams completed reviews.

FREE PASS
✸Teams will have a chance to earn 1 Free Pass to roll. To earn your free pass your team has to complete their reads a day before the next roll. Once your team has done this you will have 1 free pass. The free pass will allow a team to roll if they are missing a review(s) before the cutoff. Once you've used it, you can't earn another one. It's a one-time shot.
NOTE:
✸The free pass may not be used for the win.
✸ If the player whose review the free pass is covering for has already previously missed a deadline, they must submit the missing review within one day after the deadline if they wish to retain their place on the team.

BONUS POINTS:

✸ One point can be earned for reading three or more books in a series.
✸ One point can be earned for reading a book with >500 pages.
✸ One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be at least 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling ≥4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9. For still ongoing series, all books published to date (OR up to #9 in longer series) must be read.~ No re-reads on this one.
✸ One point can be earned for never picking a book from the alternate lists. This point is awarded when your team rolls past 90.
✸ Halloween Bonus: One point can be earned for reading a Horror/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy book for the roll on 10/28.
NOTE:
✸Each point can only be earned once per team.
✸The series-specific bonus points (3 or more books/ starting and finishing a series) must be two different series.
✸Single book bonuses (>500 pages/ Halloween) may overlap with a series bonus.

How to use bonus points:
✸ Bonus points can be added to your roll to move you further along the board. Each bonus point can only be earned once and spent once.
✸ Bonus points may be used for the win. Example: Your team rolls and lands on spot 97. Your team has earned 4 bonus points. You can use your bonus points to move to spot 101 and compete for the win.
✸ You don't have to use all your bonus points at the same time.
✸ You can also use your bonus points earlier in the game. Example: Your team has earned 3 bonus points. Your team rolls and lands on spot 88. A team member doesn't havea book that is either #8 in a series or fits the alternate. They do however have a #9. Your team may decide to use 1 bonus point to move to spot 89 and have 2 bonus points remaining for later use.

✸Re-reads are allowed ( ~EXCEPT on Winning Spots, no re-reads to win)
✸Page limit is 140
✸When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means ½. But you must review each story in the anthology.
✸Series # will be based on how GR has it listed.
✸Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone

✸✸✸ Any questions please feel free to ask!

Round 10 SSS Sign Ups

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 21, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

ALTERNATE LIST:
**Titles exclude leading articles like A, An, The

2. Title M
3. Favorite Author
4. One Word Title excluding articles like A, An, The (i.e. The Witness or Divergent)
5. Cover: Grey/Silver
6. Cover Item: Furniture
7. Author B
8. North America
9. Title D
10. Cover Item: One person
11. Historical
12. Female Author
13. Cover: Blue
14. Published 2015
15. Book that one of your teammates read shelf rated a 5-star
16. Author C
17. Seasonal Theme (i.e Christmas, Halloween etc)
18. Cover Item: Instrument
19. GR average rating >4.0
20. Title A
21. Cover Item: Book
22. Australia
23. Cover Item: Lamp/Candle
24. Sci-Fi
25. Author N
26. Published 2013
27. Cover Item: Hat
28. Book to Movie (must state how book qualifies i.e. listopia or precis)
29. Title P
30. Cover Item: Weapon
31. Character has a pet
32. Published 2018
33. Author uses their middle name/initial (e.g. Robert J. Sawyer, Rita Mae Brown)
34. Cover: Green
35. Author G
36. Award winner (must state which/when)
37. Number in the Title (i.e. Third Grave Dead Ahead or Every Fifteen Minutes)
38. Title L
39. Cover Item: Hands/Arms/Feet/Legs (no other body parts visible)
40. Europe
41. Author J
42. Mystery/Thriller
43. Cover: White
44. Published 2016
45. Cover Item: Food/Drink
46. Set in a place you've visited
47. Title R
48. Two Word Title excluding like A, An, The (i.e. Deadly Silence or The Hunger Games )
49. Cover Item: Plant
50. Young Adult/New Adult
51. Published between 2001 and 2011
52. Author F
53. Cover: Yellow/Gold
54. Title W
55. Cover Item: Water
56. Three Word Title excluding like A, An, The (i.e. Behind Closed Doors or Etched in Bone)
57. Author K
58. LGBTQ+
59. Cover Item: Dress
60. Cover: Purple
61. Africa
62. Male Author
63. Published between 1950 and 2000
64. Cover Item: Jewellery
65. Set in a Fictional Location/Universe
66. Cover: Pink
67. Romance
68. Title I
69. Multi-Colored (3 or More Colors)
70. Cover Item: Animal
71. Several authors
72. Published 2014
73. Asia
74. Debut Novel or Debut Author
75. Title O
76. Cover: Orange
77. GR average rating <3.6
78. Fantasy
79. Author V
80. School/College/University
81. Published 2012
82. Title S
83. Cover Item: Building
84. Published before 1950
85. Cover Item: Mode of Transportation
86. Author E
87. Cover: Black
88. Non-Fiction
89. Book that one of your teammates read shelf rated a 5-star
90. Author T
91. Cover Item: Two or more people
92. South America
93. Character has at least one child
94. Title H
95. Cover Item: Sun/Moon
96. Four or more Words Title excluding like A, An, The (i.e. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
97. Cover: Red
98. Published 2017
99. Originally published in a language other than English
100. Cover: Brown
101. GR average rating >4.0
102. Cover Item: One person
103. Author A
104. Title E
105. Cover: White
106. Published the year you were born
107. Book to Movie (must state how book qualifies i.e. listopia or precis)
108. Author D
109. Published 2015
110. New to You Author
111. Title C

message 5: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Aug 16, 2019 10:17AM) (new)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

★ You can use any edition of the book you read.
★ Books must be started after your team has rolled.
★ Review posts MUST include the following: Book title, author, cover, how it qualifies for the spot you're on, date finished, rating, review (min. 3 sentences)

Alternates:
★ Publication years: any edition so long as it is published in the given year
★ Cover Colour: must be at least 50% (see guidelines in post below)
★ Cover Item: must have the given item on the cover
★ Locations: book must be set at least partially in the given location
★ Author letters: author's first, middle, or last name must start with the given letter
★ Title letters: first word in the title starts with the given letter, excluding the lead ARTICLE (The, A, An...)

FOR THOSE PLAYING BOTH
★YES, you can use the same book in both challenges.

EXAMPLE OF AN ACCEPTABLE POST

Week 2: Roll 2
Spot: 13
Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet
Book:
Hell & High Water by Charlie Cochet
Qualification: THIRDS #1
Finished: 11 Jun 2017
Rating: ★★★★

Review:
Testifying against his partner and getting him locked up for murder leaves Detective Dex Daley deserted by his friends and colleagues as well as his boyfriend, a repeat target of violence, and on his way out of the job at the Human Police Force he loves. Instead of fired, however, he is recruited to join the elite Therian-Human Intelligence Recon Defense Squadron (THIRDS), working side by side with shapeshifters as a Defense Agent. Tossed right into the middle of a murder investigation, Dex has to get accustomed to his new situation quickly - and the fact that his new team is still reeling from the loss of one of their own and not at all happy to integrate his replacement really doesn't help. Neither does the fact that Dex's new teamleader may be a jerk, but he's a very attractive one.

These books have been on my TBR for ages, and I'm glad to finally get around to reading them. It took me a while to get into the story, familiarise myself with the universe (I'm really, really not a fan of "let me explain the entirety of my worldbuilding to you textbook-style" prologues, so I was immediately a little dubious about the whole thing), get to know the characters and pick up the terminology, but after a few chapters I was thoroughly hooked. Looking forward to continuing this series.

When using the alternate that involves cover items, colors, or publications years, please be sure to link the correct edition to show how the book qualifies.

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Aug 30, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

*reserved

message 7: by Susan A (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Susan A | 1652 comments Teams will roll on Thursdays & Sundays.
✸Deadline cutoffs are based on US Central time zone

Can you confirm my understanding?

As long as all reviews are in, Wednesday 11:59pm central time, then it is midnight, then someone on my team can roll? (and this is 1 am Thursday EST)

message 8: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Exactly. You can roll at any time between 0:01am and 11:59pm central time on rolling days provided all reviews are in.

message 9: by Sunshine✰✰✰ (last edited Sep 12, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Sunshine✰✰✰ | 687 comments Would Angels' Flight (Guild Hunter, #0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 3.5) work for a series #3? Your examples above mention "Books in multiple series" but this is a bunch of stories in one series.

message 10: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yes. It falls under the anthology rule:

✸When using an anthology you may use any of the numbers in the book except for the .5 since this means ½. But you must review each story in the anthology.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 42 comments May Team Two have our team name be Two Hot Two Handle
Also, I had to post early, on account of having to go to bed early and get up early. I am also the captain.
Thanks.

message 12: by Ezi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Sep 12, 2018 08:02PM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 16462 comments Mod
Team 3 will be known as the “3rd Option” and I (Ezinwanyi) will be team captain.
Thanks

message 13: by Ezi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Question If we are playing both SS and SSS, can we use the same book or must they be different?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Would this work for Grey/Silver cover Dark Pleasures (Pure/ Dark Ones #4) by Aja James ?

message 15: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

So turns out the mod wasn't paying attention when writing up the bonus point requirements, so here's an update to the starting and finishing a series bonus. What it was meant to say is:

✸ One point can be earned for starting and finishing a series. There must be at least 4 books in that series. Series + spin-off totalling ≥4 books also counts. For series with >9 books, point will be awarded for reading books 1-9.

message 16: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Ezinwanyi wrote: "Question If we are playing both SS and SSS, can we use the same book or must they be different?"

Same book is fine.

message 17: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Would this work for Grey/Silver cover Dark Pleasures (Pure/ Dark Ones #4) by Aja James?"

Looks kind of blueish grey to me... I'll take it.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Thank you!

message 19: by Maddie (last edited Sep 12, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Do we need to make a shelf for this challenge?

message 20: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Nope, just post your book choices to the team thread.

message 21: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Sweet :)

message 22: by Ezi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Sep 13, 2018 04:56AM) (new)

Denise wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Question If we are playing both SS and SSS, can we use the same book or must they be different?"

Same book is fine."

Thank you

message 23: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 41 comments Do single chairs or thrones count as furniture on cover?

message 24: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 13, 2018 05:37AM) (new)

Sure! Any item of furniture will do.

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1470 comments Would Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews count as a grey cover? It looks grey-ish to me!

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Me too Suzanne!

message 27: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 15575 comments Mod
Denise, I don't know if you're interested or not, but another group here on Goodreads uses TinEye Labs to determine if there is enough of a certain color on a cover. Folks could test a cover for themselves.

message 28: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Denise, I don't know if you're interested or not, but another group here on Goodreads uses TinEye Labs to determine if there is enough of a certain color on a cover. Folks could test a cover for th..."

Hmmm, I don't know... On the one hand, my first instinct is to say "Ugh, no, more of this newfangled technology, I don't trust it" because clearly I'm way too old-school for this millenium. On the other hand, it does seem like a practical tool that might save both me and players who'd otherwise have to wait for me to squint at a bookcover and say yay or nay a lot of time.

How about this: I'll put it into every team's thread as an option (later today, because I'm kind of in a rush now). If your cover passes according to TinEye, you're good. Mention in your review post that it's TE-approved. If the result is negative but wayyy borderline (Say, between 40-50%), you can ask me for a second opinion. I reserve the right to overrule this thing if it's being too finicky. :)

On that note, here's a perfect example of this:
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews
I just tried it out on Suzanne's cover. According to TinEye, it's just not quiiiite grey enough. According to me, however, it is. And I'm the boss around here. :P

message 29: by Ezi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Denise wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "Denise, I don't know if you're interested or not, but another group here on Goodreads uses TinEye Labs to determine if there is enough of a certain color on a cover.

I just tried it out on Suzanne's cover. According to TinEye, it's just not quiiiite grey enough. According to me, however, it is. And I'm the boss around here. :P .."

I like just using our own judgment

message 30: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Me too, but it is helpful to have as an option, especially since I'm in a very different time zone from the majority of players and don't have time to constantly be checking GR while I'm at work either.

message 31: by Donna, Chief Inspector (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 779 comments Mod
Tineye can be a great tool but there are a LOT of times that I disagree with it. Sometimes a cover that is obviously red will come up brown or an obvious yellow cover will come up orange. It can be a frustrating tool.

message 32: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

That's why I'd definitely keep open the option to overrule it. I'll think about it some more.

message 33: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Guideline for Alternate Category Cover Colour

Cover colour alternates tend to be a little tricky, since it can be very hard to tell whether something is 50% a certain colour. Here's a handy little 3-step guide for figuring out whether your chosen book qualifies.

1) Use your own judgment. If a book cover is quite clearly overwhelmingly the colour in question, you don't need additional verification.

Examples:
Blue: Earth Alone (Earthrise, #1) by Daniel Arenson
Grey: Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey
Yellow: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

2) When in doubt, you can use this tool TinEye Labs to check a cover. If TinEye confirms your cover is at least 50% the colour in question, go ahead and use it.
Note: You may need to uncheck "Exclude background color from extracted colors" to get a proper result.

Example:
White: Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay (50.3% white according to TinEye)

3) If it's a close call (say, 40-49.9% the right colour according to TinEye), or TinEye gives you a result you vehemently disagree with (apparently it does that sometimes, unfortunately), or you have trouble using the site/ would generally prefer a human opinion, post the book cover in question to the discussion thread and ask me. I reserve the right to overrule TinEye in cases of a close call or dodgy result.

Examples:
Grey: Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews (44.9% grey according to TinEye. I chose to overrule and let the player use it.)
Orange: Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1) by Donna Leon (41.1% orange according to TinEye. I would probably choose to overrule.)

I've added a link to this post to each team thread at the top of the alternates list.

message 34: by Donna, Chief Inspector (last edited Sep 15, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 779 comments Mod
Quick question to make sure I have it right. The deadline for reviews is on Sunday/Thursday with the preference being the day before? So if we have a team member's review missing by EOD Sunday/Thursday, we can't roll for the week.. correct?

message 35: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Exactly. If all reviews aren't in by 11:59pm on rolling day, you miss your turn.

message 36: by Maddie (last edited Sep 15, 2018 10:08PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments By North America, does that mean the setting is North America? Could I count a book where the MC comes from New York, and the first part of the book takes place there?

message 37: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yep, setting. As long as part of the book is set there, it's fine. Doesn't have to be the whole story.

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Okay thanks!

message 39: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1652 comments ✸Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0

Can you check my understanding?

If I land on spot 1, spot 13, spot 30 or spot 31, I can use a stand alone book, like Galaxies and Oceans

message 40: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Yes, your book would work for any of those spots.

message 41: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

An addendum to this point of the rules:
★ Review posts MUST include the following: Book title, author, cover, how it qualifies for the spot you're on, date finished, rating, review (min. 3 sentences)

If you're using a cover colour or cover item alternate, your completion post will NOT count without the correct cover.

Otherwise, you can add the cover later if you're posting your review from the mobile app. I also won't be stressing myself and everyone else out by hounding everyone to include covers every time, but for cover-specific alternates they are non-negotiable.

message 42: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Pointing this out again, because people seem to be forgetting it:

✸Standalone books can be used for a 1 or a 0

message 43: by Susan A (last edited Oct 21, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Susan A | 1652 comments 49. Cover Item: Plant

Are you using this definition .. or were you looking for a potted plant?

plant
/plant/Submit
noun
a living organism of the kind exemplified by trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, ferns, and mosses, typically growing in a permanent site, absorbing water and inorganic substances through its roots, and synthesizing nutrients in its leaves by photosynthesis using the green pigment chlorophyll.
synonyms: flower, vegetable, herb, shrub, weed; More

I'm specifically wondering if a tree, grass or bush works.

Thanks

message 44: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Any kind of plant according to that definition will work.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Would Leverage in Death (In Death, #47) by J.D. Robb work for the Halloween bonus?

message 46: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

People have shelved it as Urban Fantasy, so it'll work.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Thank you!

message 48: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Captains, please do look over your players' completion posts and make sure they comply with the requirements noted in the FAQ section in this thread. While I drop by all threads regularly and will comment when I see something to be corrected, I do have this pesky thing called a life (hard to imagine, I know :P) and can't always study every single post in detail rather than just briefly checking that they're present by deadline and the book fits when I'm pressed for time. I rely on you to keep an eye on the finer details. Thank you!

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 12, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Can I use The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang The Poppy War for the alternate: Asia? I'm asking because it's a fantasy novel so the location is made up but it is also historical fiction based on China's history. This is from the author's Wikipedia page:

The Poppy War, a grimdark fantasy, draws its plot and politics from mid-20th-century China, with the conflict in the novel based on the Second Sino-Japanese War, and an atmosphere inspired by the Song dynasty.

message 50: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Hmmm... an excellent question, but I'm going to go with no on this one. Despite the inspiration and parallels, it's set in a fictional world as far as I can tell. For the location alternate, it would have to be set in our world. I'd take a fictional city in actual China, or a fictional country in actual Asia on planet Earth, but no fantasy worlds.

(That sounds like a pretty intriguing book, though... off to my TBR with it!)

« previous 1