Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Пътят на кралете Т.1-2. (Летописите на Светлината на Бурята, #1)
Book Issues > Book split into two parts

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Hello,

Пътят на кралете Т.1-2. was added as one edition although it is consisted of two parts:
- Пътят на кралете, Том 1
- Пътят на кралете, Том 2

Should the 'combined' edition be deleted?

message 2: by lethe (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:22AM) (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Since both volumes share an ISBN, they were apparently only ever published as a set. Therefore, the record is correct and the two volumes should not have been added separately to the database.

I'll leave it to a librarian more experienced with series and volumes published in parts to correct/merge the separate records.

message 3: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Correct, they are sold as a set.

Still, I read two separate books and I would like to track them as such. If having a 'boxset' is ok for the platform, I guess all three editions should stay.

message 4: by lethe (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:55AM) (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Since they don't have separate ISBNs, only a shared ISBN, GR policy is not to add them separately.

message 5: by Radoslav (last edited Aug 29, 2018 03:14AM) (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments I would expect an exception to be made to the policy in the current case, because we have the same ISBN for both the boxset and the individual books in the set. The platform allows you to choose whether you want to mark as read the set or the books separately, so this choice should be kept for the current edition as well.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments No, the individual volumes do not have their own ISBN. The ISBN points to the set.

Unless you only noted the ISBN for the set in the descriptions and there are different ISBNs for each volume. But I would have expected them to be added to the record then.

message 7: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments What happens if I've read only the first volume? How am I supposed to add it?

message 8: by lethe (last edited Aug 29, 2018 05:05AM) (new)

lethe | 14903 comments You can note that in your review.

(For an example, see here.)

message 9: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Just to note that entries have previously been created without ISBNs under the part 1 and part 2 edition groupings. These need to be separated and merged. I'll do that tonight if no-one else gets to them first...

message 10: by Radoslav (last edited Aug 29, 2018 05:33AM) (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments The book has been published in two-volume editions before and every volume has been added as a separate entry in GR (you have 19 other editions in GR for the Way of Kings). I don't understand why this is not possible for the current one. Yes, the publisher used the same ISBN for both the boxset and the books, but there are other cases where the same ISBN has been used wrongly to mark different books. Probably the publisher wants to sell the books only as a boxset, but I read two books and I want them described in my profile as such. GR is a platform for readers and books, not one for customers and ISBNs.

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Radoslav wrote: "The book has been published in two-volume editions before and every volume has been added as a separate entry in GR (you have 19 other editions in GR for the Way of Kings)."

And they have all been added with distinguishing ISBNs or ASINs:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...
https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 12: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Except these editions here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

These are the two covers which are contained within the boxed set. Which itself has a different covering.

message 13: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Therefore, because this publisher has decided to use the same ISBN for two different books, I am not allowed to mark my progress correctly.

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Emy wrote: "Except these editions here:

These are the two covers which are contained within the boxed set. Which i..."

Yes, those are the books added by the OP.

I didn't check the covers, but the fact of them being different may complicate the issue.

message 15: by lethe (last edited Aug 29, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Radoslav wrote: "Therefore, because this publisher has decided to use the same ISBN for two different books, I am not allowed to mark my progress correctly."

It is the same with short stories in a collection. Even if you only read some of them, you are not allowed to add them separately to the database if they haven't been published on their own (although some people do, against policy).

Also, in some languages books are not split up and in other languages, they are. They then count for one book versus two books, respectively. Also not "fair".

message 16: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Yes, but the two volumes are published on their own. They are separate books.

message 17: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Radoslav wrote: "Yes, but the two volumes are published on their own. They are separate books."

No. As they are currently published they are separate volumes of a single book.

message 18: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45527 comments Mod
Radoslav wrote: "Yes, but the two volumes are published on their own."

If they were sold individually, they would have different ISBNs.

message 19: by Radoslav (last edited Aug 29, 2018 09:54AM) (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments As I mentioned several times - they are sold together. I don't understand why we continue iterating over this.

The only thing I want is that I have two physical bodies, that I call books, and that I want to be able to mark them as two books in the platform. If for everybody else this is an issue, just remove them.

message 20: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Radoslav wrote: "As I mentioned several times - they are sold together."

Exactly. That is why there should only be one record for both parts.

message 21: by Radoslav (new) - added it

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Ok