Reading the Chunksters discussion

Buddy Reads > Middlemarch - Schedule and Initial Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (last edited Nov 03, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Welcome to the Buddy Read of Middlemarch by George Eliot

This is the thread where you can post your initial thoughts about reading the book.

The plan is to start reading on 15th September 2018. Each 'Book' is 80-100 pages, so I've added a schedule that takes us at a book per week over 8 weeks. There's no obligation to follow this, of course.

Reading Schedule
Prelude and Book One Sept 15 - 21
Book Two Sept 22-28
Book Three Sept 29 - Oct 5
Book Four Oct 6 - 12

Break weeks Oct 13-26 for catch up

Book Five Oct 27 - Nov 2
Book Six Nov 3 - Nov 9
Book Seven Nov 10 - 16
Book Eight and Finale Nov 16 - 22

We'll have a checkpoint after Book 4 to see if we need to speed up, slow down etc. I don't want to make it TOO formal, so please shout as we go along if the process isn't working for you, and we can adapt.

I'll set up the first reading thread shortly (2 books per thread - but this can also be changed if necessary), with info about spoilers etc.

I know we have 4 people wanting to read, if anyone else wants to join you're very welcome, and anyone who has read the book and wants to add their thoughts in the later threads will be welcome too!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (perrydog2) | 20 comments Okay, so I have not been paying attention very well... this is our schedule then for Middlemarch? I am fine with this schedule.
I have taken a brief step away from clunky classics the last month or so and was catching up on some David Sedaris. (which I recommend!) but now that I am also caught up on my 2018 Reading Challenge I am ready to start this when you folks are! just let me know :D

message 3: by Pamela (last edited Aug 30, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Hi Katie,

Glad to hear you're definitely in and that the schedule works for you. As there are only a few of us at the moment, we can be more flexible if needed as we go along but it's always good to start with a plan!

I'll be setting up the thread for Prelude/Book One a few days before the start date in case anyone is starting early, but spoilers won't be allowed (unless tagged) till the 21st.

Am finishing up a few shorter books for other groups and then will be tackling this chunkster!

message 4: by Harry (new)

Harry Collier IV | 12 comments I am definitely in for this. I have been wanting to read this one for a while now.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Harry wrote: "I am definitely in for this. I have been wanting to read this one for a while now."

Great, glad to hear you're joining us, Harry! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments I've updated Post #1 above to clarify some points about the schedule, including our start date.

message 7: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia I've read Middlemarch twice so don't feel up to a re-read but may well join in with the discussions if that's ok?

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Roman Clodia wrote: "I've read Middlemarch twice so don't feel up to a re-read but may well join in with the discussions if that's ok?"

Absolutely! It would be great to hear your thoughts.

message 9: by Harry (new)

Harry Collier IV | 12 comments My wife has just decided to read along in her native Russian. She doesn't use GR too much but I'll pass along any thoughts she has.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Amended schedule to allow for break week after Week Four

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments How is everyone getting on? We are currently in the break week, due to start Book Five at the weekend. I've noticed I forgot to post the Book Four thread so just heading over to fix that.

Please keep adding your thoughts to the threads as you read - there are already some great ideas and cracking quotes on there which have generated interesting discussions. Even if you're not loving Eliot, come and let us know why!!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (perrydog2) | 20 comments I finally have made it to Book 2 so I hope to catch up! reading when i get the chance.

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 15 comments Hi all, due to some unforeseen commitments in October, I've got slightly behind on the schedule, and judging by the threads I'm not the only one in that position!

Apologies if you've been waiting for the threads to be posted, I've now updated the schedule and added Book Five.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Middlemarch (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Eliot (other topics)