Play Book Tag discussion

The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
This topic is about The Bourne Identity
August 2018: Espionage > [Decathlon][Listopia] The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments **Decathlon**
**Listopia**
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
3 stars

So. Many. Words.

The conversations were beyond confusing... I didn't understand the need of some of them and why so many words were needed and then he made it more confusing because throughout the conversation he would use different titles for the same person... it made following along as to who was saying what so difficult. I was not a huge fan of the writing style. I'm not sure if I'm going to read the next one.

While I was reading, I realized early on that the movie is entirely different from the book. When I was about half way through the book, I watched to movie again to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. I feel like this could be a good topic for a future Sunday discussion if it hasn't been recently... what is a movie and book that you feel differed the most and how did you feel about that?? I feel like comparing the movie to this book would be comparing an apple to an orange. Other than the names and a boat finding Bourne in the middle of a body of water, nothing else is the same.

I'm not sure I personally would recommend. I'm just not a person that likes a lot of description. Kimberly, Karin, and Jason all recommended this for espionage and it definitely fits the tag and I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it at this time, I struggled to enjoy it and it took me the entire month to read it. I will admit that I had A LOT going on this month, so that may have contributed.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8409 comments I am with you on this on Charlotte, I did not care for it at all.I love a could espionage thriller, but this one did not do it for me. There was always so much hype about the books and the movies, I thought I was alone in not feeling it!

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments I enjoyed this when I read it way back when, but I always said of Ludlum that his books were exhausting, and because of that would never be inclined to re-read. He knows how to keep up the tension and you just race through it to find out what happens.

message 4: by Karin (last edited Sep 06, 2018 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 7460 comments I enjoyed this a great deal back in the day, but then I liked long, complicated books at the time. I'd read them over the holidays when I could read them over a couple of days so things stayed fresh.

I still enjoy some long, complicated books, but if I have to stretch them over a long time, such as 5 months for a discussion, it makes it harder to enjoy them because it's much harder to keep everything straight at such a slow pace.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Whew... I'm so glad I'm not the only one that felt this way. I did wonder if it is something that I might have liked in the past or at another time. I've read a bunch of really easy, quick reads and I wonder if that contributed to my struggle with this one. Although, thanks to this group and others, I've been stepping out of my comfort zone a lot and have been reading a variety of different genres and authors I never would have tried before and it's allowing me to get a true understanding on what I do and don't like in books and authors and styles.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments Love that Charlotte! Me too! So many wonderful things I never would have picked up. I would have left to languish on the bottom of my TBR list. One of the wonderful benefits of this group is how hard it is to pick your top 10 at the end of the year.