The (Social) Justice League Book Club discussion

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
This topic is about The New Jim Crow
The New Jim Crow > The New Jim Crow Discussion Guide

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NC Justice Center | 18 comments Mod
Hello Social Justice League Book Club! Hope you all have been enjoying summer! Our next book is The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander. Reading this book gave me more context around how the U.S. Supreme Court progressed mass incarceration time after time. Below is a link to the discussion guide BTC put together. Please feel free to use it in your conversations about the book and about how to address mass incarceration in North Carolina.

The New Jim Crow Discussion Guide

message 2: by Patrice (new)

Patrice L | 1 comments Excited to see this! In Charlotte, we will begin our six week New Jim Crow dialogue series in collaboration with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Learning Circle program. We've been hosting the series since summer 2016, and we're super excited to share this resource with our next cohort, and also the 150+ community members who have completed our session. Check us out on Facebook at 'Educate To Engage LLC.'

NC Justice Center | 18 comments Mod
Patrice wrote: "Excited to see this! In Charlotte, we will begin our six week New Jim Crow dialogue series in collaboration with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Learning Circle program. We've been hosting the se..."

Patrice, thank you so much for getting in touch! I'm glad you will be able to use the discussion guide in your Learning Circles. Please feel free to use any of the other discussion guides on Evicted and $2.00 a Day. Also, feel free to get in touch with me directly (sydneyi@ncjustice.org) if you have trouble accessing any of the documents or would like to collaborate around a community event discussing issues raised in the book and policy solutions specific to NC. Happy reading!

Sydney

John Lockwood | 1 comments Patrice wrote: "Excited to see this! In Charlotte, we will begin our six week New Jim Crow dialogue series in collaboration with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Learning Circle program. We've been hosting the se..."

Wow, Patrice you're in Charlotte -- so am I and I just read this book and loved it. Please feel free to get in touch JohnLockwood2999@gmail.com. Would love to learn about your dialogue series. Also really glad to be here in the group.