The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Adoption Challenge (Kingsolver)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie I have a question for fans of Barbara Kingsolver:

I'm wondering if Turtle from The Bean Trees or Pigs in Heaven is formally adopted by Taylor. The description of TBT says that Taylor "inherits" her (certainly a strange way of putting it). Then the description of PiH calls Taylor her mother.

Can anyone clarify this for me without giving too much of the story away?

Many thanks!

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra Katie, I highly recommend reading Turtle's story.
However, she isn't officially adopted. Her mother gives her to Taylor in an unconventional way.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Thanks for the clarification and the recommendation. I think I can fit her in the challenge somewhere else. :)

message 4: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 54 comments Sam had a very similar question in the Fall Challenge Questions folder, so I'll post it here with the answer to help.

Sam wrote: "More questions:

Would Dorothy Gale be considered "adopted" since her parents are dead and she lives with Uncle and Aunt

For the Gale..."Unless the book specifically states they adopted her no

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyjcm) *** spoiler alert ****
Hi Katie,
Turtle is legally adopted, although with a little fudging, at the end of The Bean Trees.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Kelly wrote: "*** spoiler alert ****
Hi Katie,
Turtle is legally adopted, although with a little fudging, at the end of The Bean Trees. "

Ohh, interesting. I discovered that Kingsolver and I have the same number of letters in our names (too many). I guess this means that I can read The Bean Trees for the adoption challenge and Pigs in Heaven for the math challenge. Thanks for your help!