1000 Books Before You Die discussion

Welcome/ Chat > I am glad I read this.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1047 comments Mod
Are there any books you read which you would never have read without the Guardian list?
Did you find any new authors that you really enjoyed reading?
This is the place to share your thoughts.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

I would never have read and finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath without the support of this group. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

message 3: by Jenny, Makeing a world of books (new)

Jenny Clark | 989 comments Mod
I'm not sure if there are any books here I would not have picked up otherwise... I do know I have picked up a few because they were free and listed here, so maybe?? I tend to read any and everything haha! The Bell Jar was pretty good Rose, I enjoyed it as well!

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 361 comments Mod
I feel like these lists help me focus my attentions. My own TBRs tend to be so ginormous, wide-ranging, and scattered, because I dabble across genres like a dilettante. I think a list like the Guardian helps me choose to read certain books sooner, rather than later.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a good example. I’ve got a yellowed paperback that’s been around for ages, just waiting for me to get around to it. Which I finally did this year, because I needed a push to get me out of my just-read-what’s-comforting slump.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

I am finally reading The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, one of the books on the list. I've had in in ebook version for 4 years.