Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Hello All!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I am sorry I have been MIA this month. It will probably be a bit longer too.

On July 30th I was in a car accident while delivering the mail. A semi hit me. Dealing with the post office, department of labor, lawyers, insurance, doctor, physical therapy, and everything else involved is stressful, confusing, and time consuming.

To go along with that, I received a job offer from a company in Indiana which required a trip to interview and see the area. At the same time, a previous company wanted me to come work for them. I thought I would love the idea of two companies both recruiting me, but honestly, I did not like it all. I wish I could have taken both jobs, but that wasn't possible. It was very stressful, especially since I did not like the location in Indiana. I declined the job in Indiana, but the company said they really wanted me and wanted to know if I was interested in a remote position even though they had originally said working remotely was not an option. I took the remote position. Deciding between the two companies was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in a long time.

Now I need a home office. We are currently looking for a larger place to rent or buy. This also has its challenges and is much more stressful than I would have imagined. (this would be my first home purchase if we go that route) I have rented an office to work remotely as our search continues.

The job will be selling non-sparking tools. Its a new technology and a new brand and will be officially released in a couple months.. Non sparking tools are used in environments where metal on metal sparks are hazardous due to high voltage or flammable fumes. If you know of any leads I would be happy to accept. Hahahaha.

I said all that to say, I have read very little the last 3 weeks and my reading time does not seem to be increasing anytime soon. I have missed the group and books and reviews very much and hope to get back in the groove soon. With this new job though, I won't be able to listen to audio books all day. haha.

I wish you all the best and until next time.....keep the Sunday Conversation Topic going for me.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments Fabulous to hear from you Jason - but what a month! One thing would be hard enough but that’s a whole litany of stress... Glad that you’re ok, buddy - a smash with a semi isn’t something to be taken lightly ...

Good luck with the new job and keep sane xx

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Hope you are recovering from the accident ok! And Congratulations on the new job!

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2330 comments You have certainly had quite a month! Seriously, I hope your injuries were not too severe and that this new job is the perfect fit for you. We will all be here once you have time to breathe and read.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments You have had a very difficult time of it! Hope things get better soon.

message 6: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 254 comments Certainly a trying month for you Jason but I hope everything settles down for you soon! I totally relate to your stress with buying your first home as I'm in the process of trying to obtain a townhouse and am sending positive thoughts your way that the perfect place will open up for you!

message 7: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Hope your recovery is speedy and that you can settle into the new job well. Co-working spaces are great options instead of home offices, just a thought to consider.

message 8: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Hope you recover quickly and fully. your July was exhausting. just reading about it was stressful, I imagine experiencing it would have been full on.
Witnessing my husband agonizing between two jobs and finding it so hard and stressful to decide between them - I believe you that even though positive, it can be a very tough experience.
good luck with the new job, and the new place.
Hope you find time to read and return here

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments Oh, Jason. What a month you've had! Best of luck in your new job, here's my wish for a fabulous new home, and most importantly a speedy, full and uneventful recovery.

message 10: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1614 comments It's good to hear from you Jason but I'm sorry to hear how rough your past month has been. Hoping you have a speedy recovery and that you soon get settled into your new job.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8434 comments Oh Jason-So sorry to hear of the accident-hope you are healing! Best of Luck with the new job-we do miss you around here, but as we all know PBT is not "Real Life"...haha and we all understand, with all the changes, that your MIA was unavoidable. Wishing you all the best with the job and home search-do drop in when you can!

message 12: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Wow, it sounds like a nightmare. It's great to hear from you, I hope you are recovering and you're able to settle into your new job easily and everything eases up soon. I've missed learning about all those old and fascinating books you were always reading!

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It’s nice to hear from you Jason. Sorry to hear you’ve had a stressful time. I too am about to start a job two days per week where I can’t listen to audiobooks. I’m devastated! Ha!

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I hope your recovery is going well. Such a tough time. Good luck with the new job. It is nice to feel wanted:)

message 15: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6891 comments OMG and congratulations.
Here is to your recovery and good luck with the new job!

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Wow! Sorry about the accident, hope you're feeling better.

Good luck with the new job and finding a place where you can set up your home office. I, too, would love to be able to choose between two jobs (or just one that's not where I am right now!!!). Sorry the choice ended up being a stressful, difficult decision.

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7477 comments All the best in your new job and a speedy recovery. Ideally you'll find a place with a room for a home office quickly as well. So much going on in such a short space of time.

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin A Sorry to hear of your accident and hope recovery goes well. I know your woes about moving. My husband likes to do things spur of the moment and after a few weeks of going back and forth we found a new house to rent. Which probably would normal not be a big deal, but I was also helping one kid with 4h and county fair and helping another kid plan his Eagle scout ceremony. Here is hopefully a better September.

message 19: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I'm glad to hear you're doing okay, Jason. Life has certainly thrown a lot at you all at once. You have my prayers and good wishes. Hopefully things start to calm down soon!

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Thank-you everyone for the well wishes and concern.

UPDATE:
I'm back. Probably not as often as before, but things are slowing down. I am starting my new job. I rented an office space since we still haven't found a suitable home to purchase or rent.

Hayjay315: I hope you have been able to get your town house.

Magdalena: Thank-you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my reviews on classic literature. More to come for sure.

Susie: I hope the new job is going well. Yes, its horrible when you have to make the decision to give up reading time. haha.

Robin: Here is to a less eventful September. Hope the move wasn't too bad.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

So glad to hear from you, Jason. Wow, what a crazy time for you. I hope everything falls into place for you and things become a little easier. Good luck with your new job. I think of you often,

message 22: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments Glad things are settling down a little, Jason - so lovely to have you back

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments A splash of Jason today brightened my Goodreads day! I even extracted a consideration of reading We Were the Lucky Ones with us. No pressure of course dear friend. Glad to hear you’re healing and that things are going well. Welcome back.

message 24: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Happy to see your return, Jason! It appears you did also get a bit of reading done. :-)