Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

47 views
Questions > How do you determine page numbers on ebooks?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by IanWAA (new)

IanWAA | 2 comments How do you determine page numbers on ebooks/fanfiction?

I was just wondering because I noticed that different ebook formats can have a different page count.


message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26924 comments Kindle editions are determined by Amazon and can change.

Ebooks, which use different formats ie epub, pdf, mobi etc is why there is different page counts.

We can use PDF page counts straight from the ebook as page counts don't differ between devices, however the other formats can change depending on the viewers font size etc.

So for those ebooks we can use publisher figures, worldcat if they have them, or they can be estimated using calibre, but a note must be added to that effect.

That is quite often why there is no page number for ebooks, because it can be hard to obtain.


message 3: by IanWAA (new)

IanWAA | 2 comments So for AO3 I should take the page number from the pdf? and what about fanfiction.net?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7187 comments Sandra wrote: "So for those ebooks we can use publisher figures, worldcat if they have them"

I wasn't aware we could use WorldCat for ebook page count.


message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Sandra wrote: "So for those ebooks we can use publisher figures, worldcat if they have them"

I wasn't aware we could use WorldCat for ebook page count."


Indeed we can't. Page counts should come from the publisher.


message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26924 comments My bad, I just assumed we could as we use them for other page counts. *Smacks hand*


message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Sandra wrote: "My bad, I just assumed we could as we use them for other page counts. *Smacks hand*"

No worries :)


message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments lethe wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Sandra wrote: "So for those ebooks we can use publisher figures, worldcat if they have them"

I wasn't aware we could use WorldCat for ebook page count."

Indeed we can't..."

So WorldCat is used for paperback or hardback copies?


message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14903 comments Debra wrote: "So WorldCat is used for paperback or hardback copies? "

That is right.


message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (debraptj) | 62 comments lethe wrote: "Debra wrote: "So WorldCat is used for paperback or hardback copies? "

That is right."


Cool. I love learning something new.


back to top